Featured Thread
This is the photo that I'm gonna do when I have the opportunity to do in person
2014-15 Crystal Red Tintcoat (left) versus 2016-19 Long Beach Red Tintcoat (right)
Long%20Beach%20Red%20Crystal%20Red%20Comparison_zpsems1nnz9.jpg

and if I can get the two above with a C7 Torch Red (which is non metallic) … gonna do something like this …
only because people ask me when walking by me washing the Corvette on my driveway
4_Reds.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to tell... these C7 metallic tints all pop so differently depending on the light.

Question.......is your Vette pictured, Daytona Orange? That's my absolute favourite colour, but as you know it was discontinued. My next choice was Watkins Glen Grey.

I had been looking seriously for the past year and specifically looking at the 2018 model. When my wife finally weakened and gave me permission to buy, I was into the 2019 model year, so I was disappointed that Watkins Grey was no longer available. Already having a white and a black car I settled on Long Beach Red.......not having the ability to see that colour in person, I'm hoping that I'm going to be awestruck!

Cobra

Question.......is your Vette pictured, Daytona Orange? That's my absolute favourite colour, but as you know it was discontinued. My next choice was Watkins Glen Grey.

I had been looking seriously for the past year and specifically looking at the 2018 model. When my wife finally weakened and gave me permission to buy, I was into the 2019 model year, so I was disappointed that Watkins Grey was no longer available. Already having a white and a black car I settled on Long Beach Red.......not having the ability to see that colour in person, I'm hoping that I'm going to be awestruck!

Cobra

Yes Cobra. Mine is DSOM. Here's a better pic... Don't fret. The LBR is a great colour. You will smile.
DSCN6303.JPG

Geez thx for the compliments … My Postage Stamp Budget for Christmas Cards this year needs to be increased …
… and no worries for your LBR … my Wife has noticed LBR gets the attention of the Ladies …
and I officially admit to noticing nothing :happy:

I found it hilarious when on a Corvette Cruise when the group pulled over and while
stopped a few on-lookers walk by to check out the cars. One couple walked by
mine and she said "OK you can get one like this" … He & I exchanged a thumbs-up :thumbs:
Was that you … @Cobravenomous ? :joyful:

Last edited:

This photo looks leaps and bounds so much more georgeous than the winter pic!
Maybe it's because I just can't get my head around a Corvette being winter driven!

You must really love that car, to the point you just can't put her to bed for the winter! Ha ha

Thanks for sharing!

Cobra :)

Last edited:
Reactions: flyboy999
This photo looks leaps and bounds so much more georgeous than the winter pic!
Maybe it's because I just can't get my head around a Corvette being winter driven!

You must really love that car, to the point you just can't put her to bed for the winter! Ha ha

Thanks for sharing!

Cobra :)

Yeah I really do love the car. I love the winter pics as well ;) . As I tell everyone who asks (gas station/forum etc.), you have no idea how capable this car is in winter conditions until you drive it, and then you'll be amazed......particularly with the A8 transmission. In fact, I would venture to say the car is at least twice as good as the manual in winter conditions. This is no exaggeration. You physically cannot manually shift the transmission fast enough to stay in the traction like the A8 does....impossible. It's awesome keeping both hands on the wheel for control as the A8 skips through the gears........brilliant. I also figure the command start feature and heated seats aren't there for summer driving.....??

And, it's not like we don't own winter vehicles. My wife drives a Toyota FJ cruiser manual, and I have a '08 WRX STi hatch that's parked at our place in Lions Bay for the winter. After driving the Z06 all last winter, I realized I don't need the STi here in SK....the STi sat in my driveway all winter........ The other thing people don't realize is that these cars come with a 6 year corrosion warranty. So, why would I drive any car that I own (i.e. S2000, Viper, STi) in the winter months when they don't have corrosion protection? In fact, I'd rather have some parts corrode on this car now!!!! The majority of Corvette owners never take advantage of this awesome coverage. They park their Corvettes for the winter, and then use other vehicles for winter driving, and eat the costs related to their repair...why? The way I look at it I paid for the 6 year corrosion protection when I purchased the car, like insurance, so why would I spend that money and not get any value out of the policy? It would be like putting full insurance on my Viper while it sits in the garage all winter........and I'm not saving the car for the next guy....... Still, I can happily report that I'm under the car from time to time doing oil changes etc. and there are no overt signs of corrosion......darn.... LOL.

If anyone does decide they don't like making huge loan payments on something they aren't using with a warranty that's ticking down to zero, Nokian Hakkappillita studded snow tires are the way to go. Get 295s and put them on 19" aftermarket wheels all around.......

Remember this pic when the C7 was being developed?

C7 Corvette winter testing.jpg

Or how about this one with the new C8 and a ZR1? They're all extensively winter tested for a reason..............

C8 and ZR1 winter testing.jpg

:cold2: Winter Driving my Corvette in YYC ... :nailbiting: ... love to but ... nope :Ice:
... as it's more of a concern with a constant of Defensive Driving that I would need to do.
Too many rubber necks with All Seasons on ice out there which is most likely what I'd be
in a pickle with and it not actually being my driving part. Then there's all that crap that YYC dumps
on the roads too :Rage: ... daily washes that would just create nothing but a Corvette-cicle.
:whaat:

Last edited:
:cold2: Winter Driving my Corvette in YYC ... :nailbiting: ... love to but ... nope :Ice:
... as it's more of a concern with a constant Defensive Driving that I would need to do.
Too many rubber necks with All Seasons on ice out there which is most likely what I'd be
in a pickle with and not actually my driving part. Then there's all that crap that YYC dumps
on the roads too :Rage: ... daily washes that would just create nothing but a Corvette-cicle.
:whaat:
Yeah those are issues I don't deal with here in Meadow Lake, SK. Everyone around here knows how to drive in the winter, or they might as well stay home. There are tons of people driving cars around here, so I figured, the Z06 is a car..........why not? One thing I didn't mention is the brakes. I know there is a lot of nonsense out there that the carbon ceramic brakes don't work well until they get warm......uh........NOT. My brakes are phenomenal in all conditions. They require no heating, and are very easily modulated on the ice/snow. One thing you cannot do, however, is set the parking brake. If you do, the pads freeze to the rotors, and getting them unstuck is a real pain. I learned that last winter. Now I just put it in park and walk away.....no problems. I thought the Viper's brakes were amazing......the Vette's brakes blow them away, and this is pretty consistent with all the motojournalist comments/testing.

Yeah I really do love the car. I love the winter pics as well ;) . As I tell everyone who asks (gas station/forum etc.), you have no idea how capable this car is in winter conditions until you drive it, and then you'll be amazed......particularly with the A8 transmission. In fact, I would venture to say the car is at least twice as good as the manual in winter conditions. This is no exaggeration. You physically cannot manually shift the transmission fast enough to stay in the traction like the A8 does....impossible. It's awesome keeping both hands on the wheel for control as the A8 skips through the gears........brilliant. I also figure the command start feature and heated seats aren't there for summer driving.....??

And, it's not like we don't own winter vehicles. My wife drives a Toyota FJ cruiser manual, and I have a '08 WRX STi hatch that's parked at our place in Lions Bay for the winter. After driving the Z06 all last winter, I realized I don't need the STi here in SK....the STi sat in my driveway all winter........ The other thing people don't realize is that these cars come with a 6 year corrosion warranty. So, why would I drive any car that I own (i.e. S2000, Viper, STi) in the winter months when they don't have corrosion protection? In fact, I'd rather have some parts corrode on this car now!!!! The majority of Corvette owners never take advantage of this awesome coverage. They park their Corvettes for the winter, and then use other vehicles for winter driving, and eat the costs related to their repair...why? The way I look at it I paid for the 6 year corrosion protection when I purchased the car, like insurance, so why would I spend that money and not get any value out of the policy? It would be like putting full insurance on my Viper while it sits in the garage all winter........and I'm not saving the car for the next guy....... Still, I can happily report that I'm under the car from time to time doing oil changes etc. and there are no overt signs of corrosion......darn.... LOL.

If anyone does decide they don't like making huge loan payments on something they aren't using with a warranty that's ticking down to zero, Nokian Hakkappillita studded snow tires are the way to go. Get 295s and put them on 19" aftermarket wheels all around.......

Remember this pic when the C7 was being developed?

View attachment 22885

Or how about this one with the new C8 and a ZR1? They're all extensively winter tested for a reason..............

View attachment 22886

Driving my Z06 around YEG in the winter would be suicide or more like a homicide to the car with the new juice they are spraying down that is dissolving cars and the idiots on the roads that would be all over the car to "race". Not worth the hassle. Plus I have the Hummer for the days I need to go in deep or when the wife's AWD Cadillac isn't available. We use that as the all year round disposable vehicle. I agree it would be hard to make huge payments with a car like that sitting. Fortunately, that's not the case for me but I fully appreciate a fellow or gal who is making the payments and planning on keeping the car as perfect as possible for a long as possible to enjoy it long after it's paid off. Meaning not for the next owner, but themselves as a long term pleasure vehicle.
And yes my M7 would be a nightmare on snowy roads for sure considering the car does 100 KPH in 1st. 1st and 2nd would be all you need in the city but it would be way too torquey. I agree on the brakes too. Our carbon ceramic brakes are just phenomenal. The standard brakes on the Z06 are great and these we have is truly next level good. Personally, I think it's cool you drive your Z06 all year and agree the car should be capable of this as it was tested to be. I am really curious to see how it holds up after a few years of salt exposure. So far so good though as you said. although a more urban setting would be a somewhat different test. There is a member from Toronto who winter drove his new Z last year too. The car got sold this last summer.
It's just not something many Corvette owners do for all kinds of reasons but yes nothing wrong with enjoying the car all year if that's what a guy wants to do.

Good tip on the E brake too

Driving my Z06 around YEG in the winter would be suicide or more like a homicide to the car with the new juice they are spraying down that is dissolving cars and the idiots on the roads that would be all over the car to "race". Not worth the hassle. Plus I have the Hummer for the days I need to go in deep or when the wife's AWD Cadillac isn't available. We use that as the all year round disposable vehicle. I agree it would be hard to make huge payments with a car like that sitting. Fortunately, that's not the case for me but I fully appreciate a fellow or gal who is making the payments and planning on keeping the car as perfect as possible for a long as possible to enjoy it long after it's paid off. Meaning not for the next owner, but themselves as a long term pleasure vehicle.
And yes my M7 would be a nightmare on snowy roads for sure considering the car does 100 KPH in 1st. 1st and 2nd would be all you need in the city but it would be way too torquey. I agree on the brakes too. Our carbon ceramic brakes are just phenomenal. The standard brakes on the Z06 are great and these we have is truly next level good. Personally, I think it's cool you drive your Z06 all year and agree the car should be capable of this as it was tested to be. I am really curious to see how it holds up after a few years of salt exposure. So far so good though as you said. although a more urban setting would be a somewhat different test. There is a member from Toronto who winter drove his new Z last year too. The car got sold this last summer.
It's just not something many Corvette owners do for all kinds of reasons but yes nothing wrong with enjoying the car all year if that's what a guy wants to do.

Good tip on the E brake too

Yeah, I used to worry about things like keeping the care as pristine as possible, and then I realized that it is an exercise in futility, regardless of whether or not you drive the car in the winter or not. Every little scratch, rock chip, interior blemish, etc. would drive me crazy, and then I decided that this actually reduced my enjoyment of the car. Now, I have a bottle of touch up paint, and use the cars I have to their fullest potential. I used my WRX STi to tow my Bayliner 185 boat from Meadow Lake to Lions Bay last summer, and I keep it there to launch the boat from our place as the Marina is just down at the bottom of the hill...... I get interesting looks from people when they see me doing things like this, or towing my motorcycle with my S2000. I think to myself, "My STi has 400hp/350 lb./ft. of torque, weighs less than your truck, has better suspension, and Brembo brakes." I averaged 16 mpg with the STi towing a boat and trailer that weigh well over 3000lbs. That's the same mileage as our FJ gets towing nothing!!! As you say, each to his own...........
STi towing boat 2.jpg

S2000 towing bike.jpg

You get a thumbs up from me flyboy999. Enjoy your stuff while you can. In 2002 I bought a T-Bird convertible which I still have to this day and I drove the car at times during winter months, in the snow, just for the hell of it - with zero problems.

You get a thumbs up from me flyboy999. Enjoy your stuff while you can. In 2002 I bought a T-Bird convertible which I still have to this day and I drove the car at times during winter months, in the snow, just for the hell of it - with zero problems.
Yep, the car is bullet proof. I'm extremely impressed with its performance, particularly when the temperatures dip down to -30C like they did a week ago. She starts and drives exactly like she does when its +30C. This is a testament to Corvette engineering....those guys know what they're doing. I'm just about to break 30,000 km of problem free driving.........probably this month.........sitting at about 29,500 km now.

PS: Paul C my late grandfather bought one of those T-Birds. It was red, with big white wall tires, and he got the removable hard top with the porthole window..... I have fond memories of him picking the car up at Cam Clark Ford in North Vancouver. I believe it was about $67K. It's down in Idaho now with his nephew, and is only driven on nice sunny days........

The torch red really looks great in the sun.....not so much in the snow LOL
Corvette torch red in sun.jpg
Frosty.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, the car is bullet proof. I'm extremely impressed with its performance, particularly when the temperatures dip down to -30C like they did a week ago. She starts and drives exactly like she does when its +30C. This is a testament to Corvette engineering....those guys know what they're doing. I'm just about to break 30,000 km of problem free driving.........probably this month.........sitting at about 29,500 km now.

PS: Paul C my late grandfather bought one of those T-Birds. It was red, with big white wall tires, and he got the removable hard top with the porthole window..... I have fond memories of him picking the car up at Cam Clark Ford in North Vancouver. I believe it was about $67K. It's down in Idaho now with his nephew, and is only driven on nice sunny days........

The torch red really looks great in the sun.....not so much in the snow LOL
View attachment 22900View attachment 22901

Agreed! Absolutely stunning in the sun!

Cobra

Does anyone have any experience or comment regarding "door sill protectors" that are available on the Corvette Store web site?
I've heard some people say they just have xpel put on them ... not sure how that is over time though.
Our two rays do not have the sills protected and are getting a bit scratched up ... oh well ... until it really bugs me I guess

Reactions: Cobravenomous
Does anyone have any experience or comment regarding "door sill protectors" that are available on the Corvette Store web site?

C7 Corvette Door Sill Protectors - Clear

I put these on. They go on over the OEM plates and are much more durable and scratch resistant. You can get them in a LED lighted version too.
IMG_1149.jpg

The OEM door sills on your new car will be fragile as heck. One slip up and you forget to lift your feet over it and it is scratched. Mine was scratched by the dealership before I took delivery of my car. Imagine how impressed I was seeing that.
The good news is they are easy and relatively inexpensive to replace. As Spence mentioned some just put the clear bra over them and some extend it out over the door jam which I do not think is necessary. Frankly, that and the big plastic pieces you can buy is like that clear vinyl our crazy aunt put on her living room furniture back in the day.

Good question though Cobra as these door sills are a vulnerable spot for marking up on these cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.