Featured Thread
So no paper towels and a must that any washing mitt is super clean and ensure to rinse the top vigorously so not to wash debris and then scratches into the top. Sounds like it requires a 100% cotton diaper cloth to dry after cleaning as well?

:Confused5:

Good quality microfibre works fine. But yes be careful handling it and wiping it. 👍

So no paper towels and a must that any washing mitt is super clean and ensure to rinse the top vigorously so not to wash debris and then scratches into the top. Sounds like it requires a 100% cotton diaper cloth to dry after cleaning as well?

:Confused5:

All good info you are getting Cobra. One last thing... Be careful changing it out on a windy day. The tops are shaped somewhat like a para glider and can surprise you if the wind catches it. Make sure you have a good grip.

Cobra, no worries with the top removal, storage and installation. I am a 73 year old guy with bad shoulders and the top is not an issue. There is a bit of a technique as noted by Derek but after a couple of attempts you will have it down pat. Take your time for the first one and assess the levers, you'll be a master top manager on the second attempt. Gloves are a good idea but check to be sure they do not impede the grip ability.

Reactions: Cobravenomous
As already implied, once you have your gem … you may soon discover that the tops are not as heavy as one may initially speculate.
Just maybe cumbersome at times and agreeing above with … that a wind gust can be a factor ...
I have managed many solo removals and reinstalls with 4 different panels (two C7s with two panels each). I am most careful on the
reinstall when wondering if I slid the back pins in far enough when letting go to push the front pins down - however finding it has always
been my mind playing games on me. Placing the panel into the back hatch area really only needs attention for the back spoiler not being
hit. I also have the "joy" of the GM accessory storage bags to place the "not selected" panel in to. So far all good and performed solo.
When offered, I never refuse the helping hand from my navigator.
Now while you both wait your C7 deliveries … think more about that Pahrump Corvette Owners School trip … you will also get the most
intensive "Corvette Delivery" there that also included the roof panel removal and install. However realizing you first need your VIN to book it.
Cheers

Thanks for the great advise, however I'm a little confused with the above comment. :Confused5:
Sorry being confusing … I have a GM accessory storage bag for the roof panel that I leave behind.
One of my C7's has solid color & transparent panels and my other has solid color and carbon fibre panels.
So I have two storage bags. It can be a challenge to get the panel into them until you get the knack of it ...
23148691__47499_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
So the storage bag stores the roof panel when it's not placed in the rear hatch compartment, like around the house?

The storage bag isn't used when placing the roof panel in the back hatch area correct?

I was not aware of the dual roof option. I did order the see through panel. Will I automatically get the car coloured solid roof panel as well as the see through panel?

Now I'm thinking I would like both, the see through roof panel which I ordered as well as the car coloured non see through roof panel!

So the storage bag stores the roof panel when it's not placed in the rear hatch compartment, like around the house? The storage bag isn't used when placing the roof panel in the back hatch area correct?
I was not aware of the dual roof option. I did order the see through panel. Will I automatically get the car coloured solid roof panel as well as the see through panel? Now I'm thinking I would like both, the see through roof panel which I ordered as well as the car coloured non see through roof panel!
Yes, we store each of the "second" panels in a bag.
We have rigged hooks that we hang the bags on in the garage.
In the Winter, the panels are in and on the cars with bags folded up (not being used in the car).
You can option one in the hatch and one on the roof when driving but going topless would not be an option.
The transparent panel is a no brainer for when in the Mountains.
The carbon fibre is something that continues to grow on me for show & shine.
The solid roof panels are the norm. When on an over-night trip, only one panel goes & the other stays home in a bag.
This maximizes spare cargo space for anything my Navigator would like to bring back and/or for a couple of beers or more
when returning from the USA. I think you can see that panel removal & install has become less of a problem
where now its a dilemma of what to put on the Corvette … :joyful:
With help from an awesome friend, I managed to hit a home-run buying my carbon fibre roof panel second-hand on Kijiji.
I am unsure if one can order just a transparent panel on a factory build at a price that gives you a credit back
for not getting the solid color panel.

Last edited:
Yes, we store each of the "second" panels in a bag.
We have rigged hooks that we hang the bags on in the garage.
In the Winter, the panels are in and on the cars with bags folded up (not being used in the car).
You can option one in the hatch and one on the roof when driving but going topless would not be an option.
The transparent panel is a no brainer for when in the Mountains.
The carbon fibre is something that continues to grow on me for show & shine.
The solid roof panels are the norm. When on an over-night trip, only one panel goes & the other stays home in a bag.
This maximizes spare cargo space for anything my Navigator would like to bring back and/or for a couple of beers or more
when returning from the USA. I think you can see that panel removal & install has become less of a problem
where now its a dilemma of what to put on the Corvette … :joyful:
I bought my carbon fibre roof panel second-hand on Kijiji. I am unsure if one can order just a transparent panel
at a price that gives you a credit back for not getting the solid color panel.

So considering I optioned the transparent panel, should I expect then from the factory that in addition to the transparent panel ordered that I will also get a solid car coloured roof panel too, the one that would come with the car if no optioned panel was ordered? I doubt that, but it would be nice!

So considering I optioned the transparent panel, should I expect then from the factory that in addition to the transparent panel ordered that I will also get a solid car coloured roof panel too, the one that would come with the car if no optioned panel was ordered? I doubt that, but it would be nice!
I hope this will be the case for you … it should be an easy question answered by your dealer.
I have found in the build-your-own Corvette on gmcanada website that there are options …
Body-colour and transparent being a $2295 option … Might be Transparent only for $1145 (unsure though)
roofpanel.jpg

I would have expected that they would have mentioned or you would have noticed the extra cost of the dual roof option in the options list. If by chance you do want a second roof, get the exposed carbon fibre. I have both roofs but have only had the Lexan roof on the car once. I really like the CF look and the roof is also a lot lighter than the Lexan. (Not that either of them are very heavy). JMO

I am most careful on the reinstall when wondering if I slid the back pins in far enough when letting go to push the front pins down

After I place the roof panel back onto my C7 and the rear pins are inserted, I would at times have to use a wee bit of extra force to push the front edge of the roof panel down into place before locking. This at times left me wondering if this might be leading to extra wear on the front rubber seal.

One quick little hint that I have picked up on, after I am happy that the rear pins are inserted I immediately lock the rear latch. This pulls the roof panel all the way to the rear and now the front pops down into place with zero effort.
Not sure if GM has a problem with this as our owners manual notes that we should 'Push the roof firmly downward to engage the pins.' before locking the all three release handles in place. I can't see any reason how this new approach could be jeopardizing any 'fit or function' issues, interested in any comments.....

Last edited:
After I place the roof panel back onto my C7 and the rear pins are inserted, I would at time have to use a wee bit of extra force to push the front edge of the roof panel down into place before locking. This at time left me wondering if this might be leading to extra wear on the front rubber seal.

One quick little hint that I have picked up on, after I am happy that the rear pins are inserted I immediately lock the rear latch. This pulls the roof panel all the way to the rear and now the front pops down into place with zero effort.
Not sure if GM has a problem with this as our owners manual notes that we should 'Push the roof firmly downward to engage the pins.' before locking the all three release handles in place. I can't see any reason that this new approach could be jeopardizing any 'fit or function' issues, interested in any comments.....
... isn’t owning a Corvette awesome 😁as the Chevy Cruze Forum would not even care if they had the option heh ?

... and now you will have me looking at it in the Spring 😂

I hope this will be the case for you … it should be an easy question answered by your dealer.
I have found in the build-your-own Corvette on gmcanada website that there are options …
Body-colour and transparent being a $2295 option … Might be Transparent only for $1145 (unsure though)
View attachment 22765

I'm kicking myself now, and it's not like I didn't build that car 100 times on the web site before going into the dealer and ordering the car too!

I didn't pay close enough attention to those (4) optional roof panel selections. Upon review it is obvious now that to obtain two roof panels I would needed to have selected one of those two (dual) options.

Recognizing that my car isn't supposed to be built until such time the manufacturer can coordinate the build with an April delivery, I just emailed the dealer to see if my order can be modified to a "dual" roof panel option.

I kind of like the option of either the transparent or car coloured roof panel, however I'm ignorant relative to the benefits of the carbon fibre top. I know carbon fibre is extremely light weight and strong, but is there something else I'm missing here that if I have chosen not to select that carbon fibre dual panel option that I'll regret later.

I see the carbon fibre panel as similar in appearance to that of the transparent panel (both black), but obviously I'm sure there's more.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments.

Cobra

I'm kicking myself now, and it's not like I didn't build that car 100 times on the web site before going into the dealer and ordering the car too!

I didn't pay close enough attention to those (4) optional roof panel selections. Upon review it is obvious now that to obtain two roof panels I would needed to have selected one of those two (dual) options.

Recognizing that my car isn't supposed to be built until such time the manufacturer can coordinate the build with an April delivery, I just emailed the dealer to see if my order can be modified to a "dual" roof panel option.

I kind of like the option of either the transparent or car coloured roof panel, however I'm ignorant relative to the benefits of the carbon fibre top. I know carbon fibre is extremely light weight and strong, but is there something else I'm missing here that if I have chosen not to select that carbon fibre dual panel option that I'll regret later.

I see the carbon fibre panel as similar in appearance to that of the transparent panel (both black), but obviously I'm sure there's more.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments.

Cobra

The exposed carbon fibre panel won't be transparent (obviously). Many, including me, think the exposed CF looks pretty damn sharp. The C7 painted roof is still carbon fiber. Just not exposed.

1546799826541.png

Cobra simply put yes; the bag is to store your 2nd roof out of the car safely. Traveling with 2 roofs just sucks as you can't run with the roof off. One roof secures into the back really well. It's not even remotely ok to try and put 2 roof panels back there.

I purchased the GM carbon fibre panel as there was nothing used for sale that matched my colors at the time. To buy the full carbon fibre roof with hardware, body colored sides and Alcantara liner from GM after the car purchase will run you about 6K as they sell it in pieces. (I paid far far less but that's a long boring story) So yes get it added to your order now if at all possible. It's the cheapest and easiest way to go regardless of what combination of roof panels you want. You can get a much better deal buying used if you want to wait for one and deal with the purchase process, or aftermarket companies have them at about half the cost of new. They are advertising the panels are from the same manufacturer that makes them for GM. You can PM me if you want a link to the company I use for carbon fibre components. You will find most but not all the carbon fibre components GM offers are much cheaper from most aftermarket suppliers. This takes some research and knowing what you are actually getting. (Another subject entirely for a different conversation)

On any color corvette the Carbon fibre roof looks the best IMHO.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3a95.jpg

Here is mine. This is GM panel with unpainted sides. I had mine covered in EXPEL to prevent any scratches while handling it. The EXPEL should go on in one piece if you go this way. Don't let anyone BS you and sell you a 3 piece install.

Derek

Cobra simply put yes; the bag is to store your 2nd roof out of the car safely. Traveling with 2 roofs just sucks as you can't run with the roof off. One roof secures into the back really well. It's not even remotely ok to try and put 2 roof panels back there.

I purchased the GM carbon fibre panel as there was nothing used for sale that matched my colors at the time. To buy the full carbon fibre roof with hardware, body colored sides and Alcantara liner from GM after the car purchase will run you about 6K as they sell it in pieces. (I paid far far less but that's a long boring story) So yes get it added to your order now if at all possible. It's the cheapest and easiest way to go regardless of what combination of roof panels you want. You can get a much better deal buying used if you want to wait for one and deal with the purchase process, or aftermarket companies have them at about half the cost of new. They are advertising the panels are from the same manufacturer that makes them for GM. You can PM me if you want a link to the company I use for carbon fibre components. You will find most but not all the carbon fibre components GM offers are much cheaper from most aftermarket suppliers. This takes some research and knowing what you are actually getting. (Another subject entirely for a different conversation)

On any color corvette the Carbon fibre roof looks the best IMHO.View attachment 22788
Here is mine. This is GM panel with unpainted sides. I had mine covered in EXPEL to prevent any scratches while handling it. The EXPEL should go on in one piece if you go this way. Don't let anyone BS you and sell you a 3 piece install.

Derek
The exposed carbon fibre panel won't be transparent (obviously). Many, including me, think the exposed CF looks pretty damn sharp. The C7 painted roof is still carbon fiber. Just not exposed.

View attachment 22787

Thanks for the photos.........absolutely beautiful/awesome! The carbon fibre is visually striking and I would presume it frequently becomes the topic of conversation when people approach your car.

I'll be visiting the dealer this week to see if there are opportunities available for me. I'd hate to not be able to change to the "dual roof" option considering my car won't even be configured for build for a couple of months. If I can't I'll be very disappointed.

After veiwing your carbon fibre roof panels, that's the roof I now need!

I'll post later this week once I meet with the dealer.........fingers crossed!

Cobra :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.