Pumps with Ethanol have warning labels for knowing …
here’s one … 😂

797DA482-EF43-495E-8024-7A627AC0CE72.jpeg

Page 226 of the 2021 C8 manual tells us:

Fuel
Top Tier Fuel
GM recommends the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline to keep the engine clean, reduce engine deposits, and maintain optimal vehicle performance. Look for the TOP TIER Logo or see www.toptiergas.com for a list of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline marketers and applicable countries.

Then looking at the "toptiergas.com" Website, it tells us:

TOP TIER™ is recognized as a premier fuel performance specification developed and enforced by leading automotive and heavy duty equipment manufacturers. The intention of TOP TIER™ is to create a winning situation for retailers, auto manufacturers, and drivers.
Vehicle and equipment manufacturer sponsors have a specification by which they can drive market fuel improvements to meet the ever changing demands of engine technology when regulations or specifications may not go far enough.

There are several ways to recognize a TOP TIER™ fuel retailer.​

• Many fueling stations selling TOP TIER™ licensed brands prominently display the TOP TIER™ logo on the pump, pump handle, canopy or in a station window. The TOP TIER™ logo means you’re getting fuel that meets the performance requirements set by engine manufacturers.
  • Check the licensed brand list. If the brand of gasoline or diesel on the signage or the dispensing pump is not listed, the fuel is not TOP TIER™. If a retailer is on the brands list but a TOP TIER™ logo isn't displayed at the station, please contact us.
  • Ask the station operator.
Then there's a list of "top tier gas suppliers" found in Canada. There are some "odd locations" (not so common, or certainly not for me in Western Canada) but you're likely to find "top tier gas" at the more common locations listed below:

Costco, Esso and Shell

I've also seen Petro-Can described as a "top tier fuel" supplier on other Websites, but it's not listed on "toptiergas.com".

It's likely best to verify any place you go, has this type of fuel by following the Website suggestions above.

As with most things, the fuel type is controversial. Some say lower octane (ie. 87) is all you need and it's a waste of money to pay for higher octane, despite what vehicle manufacturers say. Others won't care about the detergents in the "top tier fuels". IMO the engine is the most expensive/important part of any vehicle and with higher performance motors in particular, I always follow the manufacturer's advice and use higher octane (mostly 91 is all I have readily available where I am) and only from one of the 3 gas stations mentioned above (Costco, Esso or Shell). The C8 manual also states on page 226:

If the octane is less than 91, the engine could be damaged and the repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty.

So that's another thing to keep in mind. Pages 226 and 227 of your 2021 manual are recommended reading...along with most of the other pages in the manual to better understand your vehicle. Good luck!

To far in the weeds guys you can use mid grade the car doesn’t ping. The timing is adjusted by the computer. I alternate at half tank.

Tell that to all the c8 owners in the states. My ‘22 runs perfectly on a mix no pinging 91 is the standard rating in the US. In fact my C7 was a monster on mid grade mix.

I do use 91 most of the time. No pinging. Same thing happened to my BMW GS made to run on mid grade per manual nut it requires 91 to stop pinging

Tell that to all the c8 owners in the states. My ‘22 runs perfectly on a mix no pinging 91 is the standard rating in the US. In fact my C7 was a monster on mid grade mix.

I do use 91 most of the time. No pinging. Same thing happened to my BMW GS made to run on mid grade per manual nut it requires 91 to stop pinging
Agreed. Higher octane is only required under certain temperature conditions. In the winter 91 is just fine. I use it all year round, but I just cruise anyway. No racing.

The 2021 manual indicates 93 PON but 91 PON may be used with reduced performance .
1645737649031.png

The 2022 manual now specifies the minimum:

1645737617010.png

I do not know if GM modified the fuel management system in 2022 but I use Shell 93.

The 2021 manual indicates 93 PON but 91 PON may be used with reduced performance .
View attachment 93233

The 2022 manual now specifies the minimum:

View attachment 93232
I do not know if GM modified the fuel management system in 2022 but I use Shell 93.
GM did some changes on LT2 engine for 2022... on the fuel management... this is probably why it's now 91, refer to

Reactions: gdb069
I might be using Panther piss if the prices keep going up!
I paid $1.749 for premium the other day and it's going up again since there are sanctions against the Ruskies

Just wait a "few" years when 90%+ of the vehicles on the road are fully electric...and gasoline is $10/litre, IF and WHEN you can find it...(sigh). If I time it correctly, hopefully by then I'll have surrendered my licence due to "old-timer's disease" and I'll be wistfully watching re-runs of Formula 1 races on 3-D Virtual TV or whatever it's called then, while sipping some horrible-tasting healthy drink. lol.🧓

:sad1:

GM did some changes on LT2 engine for 2022... on the fuel management... this is probably why it's now 91, refer to
Thanks. My guess is too many areas you cannot buy 93 (ie California is max 91) so they changed the fuel mapping and that would be just software so I wonder if 2020/21 cannot just get a download?

I might be using Panther piss if the prices keep going up!
I paid $1.749 for premium the other day and it's going up again since there are sanctions against the Ruskies
I've discovered that there's a huge spread between the posted "regular" 87 and 91 from station to station. eg, today, Costco Waterloo is 149.9 and 159.9 for 87 and 91. At some stations it's 20 or 22c more. Look at the pump before you exit the car.

I've discovered that there's a huge spread between the posted "regular" 87 and 91 from station to station. eg, today, Costco Waterloo is 149.9 and 159.9 for 87 and 91. At some stations it's 20 or 22c more. Look at the pump before you exit the car.
You can download an app such as gasbuddy that provides daily gas price comparison although it not quite accurate for premium because some stations sell 91 and some sell 93/94. Plus I dislike gas discounters and GM recommends Top Tier fuel. Here our 93 octane is over $2 a litre. $120 from almost empty C8
  • Provincial motor fuel tax (Metro Vancouver) — 1.75 cents
  • B.C.'s carbon tax — 8.89 cents.
  • The B.C. Transportation Finance Authority tax — 6.75 cents.
  • TransLink tax (If you live in Metro Vancouver) — 17 cents, increasing to 18.5 cents on July 1.
  • Federal excise tax — 10 cents.
  • Five per cent Goods and Services Tax on top of the total price. (Yes tax on the tax)

They're talking $2 a liter next month. :(
Yup. Very possible. Cost of the barrel above $100 bucks, carbon tax in full swing, inflation at 5.1%, and now Ukraine.

I look at this everyday at work. It will not get any better in 2022. It hurts to see $1.7/L for diesel every time I fill up the truck.

But...pay to play.

Yup. Very possible. Cost of the barrel above $100 bucks, carbon tax in full swing, inflation at 5.1%, and now Ukraine.

I look at this everyday at work. It will not get any better in 2022. It hurts to see $1.7/L for diesel every time I fill up the truck.

But...pay to play.
Considering diesel is the easiest and cheapest fuel to produce, It is obviously a cash grab in Canada since we actually produce it here. It totally revolves around me. I had a propane vehicle back in 1985 when propane was 10 cents a litre... after I went propane it increased 10 times within a year... Then my diesel trucks since 1995 when diesel was half the price of gasoline... that didn't last long either... now I pay 20 cents more than gasoline regularly.... Sad... I'm thinking that EV sounds good now but if I were to go EV, the price of electricity will inflate accordingly.

Considering diesel is the easiest and cheapest fuel to produce, It is obviously a cash grab in Canada since we actually produce it here.
Yes and no.

It all comes from the same crude molecule, but there are so any variables.

First to come off is asphalt and bunker. Asphalt is the least refined, but because they make so little of it, it has a high price. Bunker is what they use in Ocean vessels and demand is fairly predictable because there are only so many liners. Next off the line is jet...it doesn't have a ton of additives but is priced high because there is limited supply in Canada. Then finally comes diesel and motor vehicle gas.

At that point it has a lot to do with commercial demand and available supply. Refineries have a fairly set ratio they can make of diesel to gas.

And then there is the type of crude they are using to begin with. There are just so many variables.

Alls I know is that it should be a lot cheaper given Canada's raw material supply, and manufacturing capabilities.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.