Casual User
Apr 28, 2021
Sarnia, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8
Province
ON
Hello . I just got a 2020 C8 2LT / Z51, Torch Red Coupe . I looked around the forum but didn't find specifics about what fuel is best to use. I use Petrocanada fuel for my existing vehicles, so Im not sure if I should use 91 or 94 octane fuel. I have read that the 94 contains 10% ethanol and the 91 octane contains 0% ethanol ("clean"). The C8 manual suggests 93 octane as the best for the engine. So, 91 is less than recommended (may really have ethanol?) and the 94 has ethanol(true or not?). Any thoughts on what is the best to use for the longevity of the engine.

Off this post topic: I ordered front grill covers to protect the rads, and front shock towers covers to keep the water out. So far the rads are clean, but I did find a lot of standing water in the cavities of the shock towers. Anybody else have this?

I use C.T. 91 because of the points and I still did a 2.7 0 to 60. I personally feel that as long as you are less than 15% ethanol then you are OK like the manual says. Many fuels use ethanol to boost the octane rating. Unless you are racing, I'd suggest you use whatever is convenient.

Page 226 of the 2021 C8 manual tells us:

Fuel
Top Tier Fuel
GM recommends the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline to keep the engine clean, reduce engine deposits, and maintain optimal vehicle performance. Look for the TOP TIER Logo or see www.toptiergas.com for a list of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline marketers and applicable countries.

Then looking at the "toptiergas.com" Website, it tells us:

TOP TIER™ is recognized as a premier fuel performance specification developed and enforced by leading automotive and heavy duty equipment manufacturers. The intention of TOP TIER™ is to create a winning situation for retailers, auto manufacturers, and drivers.
Vehicle and equipment manufacturer sponsors have a specification by which they can drive market fuel improvements to meet the ever changing demands of engine technology when regulations or specifications may not go far enough.

There are several ways to recognize a TOP TIER™ fuel retailer.​

• Many fueling stations selling TOP TIER™ licensed brands prominently display the TOP TIER™ logo on the pump, pump handle, canopy or in a station window. The TOP TIER™ logo means you’re getting fuel that meets the performance requirements set by engine manufacturers.
  • Check the licensed brand list. If the brand of gasoline or diesel on the signage or the dispensing pump is not listed, the fuel is not TOP TIER™. If a retailer is on the brands list but a TOP TIER™ logo isn't displayed at the station, please contact us.
  • Ask the station operator.
Then there's a list of "top tier gas suppliers" found in Canada. There are some "odd locations" (not so common, or certainly not for me in Western Canada) but you're likely to find "top tier gas" at the more common locations listed below:

Costco, Esso and Shell

I've also seen Petro-Can described as a "top tier fuel" supplier on other Websites, but it's not listed on "toptiergas.com".

It's likely best to verify any place you go, has this type of fuel by following the Website suggestions above.

As with most things, the fuel type is controversial. Some say lower octane (ie. 87) is all you need and it's a waste of money to pay for higher octane, despite what vehicle manufacturers say. Others won't care about the detergents in the "top tier fuels". IMO the engine is the most expensive/important part of any vehicle and with higher performance motors in particular, I always follow the manufacturer's advice and use higher octane (mostly 91 is all I have readily available where I am) and only from one of the 3 gas stations mentioned above (Costco, Esso or Shell). The C8 manual also states on page 226:

If the octane is less than 91, the engine could be damaged and the repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty.

So that's another thing to keep in mind. Pages 226 and 227 of your 2021 manual are recommended reading...along with most of the other pages in the manual to better understand your vehicle. Good luck!

Reactions: JR410 and Rebby
Hello . I just got a 2020 C8 2LT / Z51, Torch Red Coupe . I looked around the forum but didn't find specifics about what fuel is best to use. I use Petrocanada fuel for my existing vehicles, so Im not sure if I should use 91 or 94 octane fuel. I have read that the 94 contains 10% ethanol and the 91 octane contains 0% ethanol ("clean"). The C8 manual suggests 93 octane as the best for the engine. So, 91 is less than recommended (may really have ethanol?) and the 94 has ethanol(true or not?). Any thoughts on what is the best to use for the longevity of the engine.

Off this post topic: I ordered front grill covers to protect the rads, and front shock towers covers to keep the water out. So far the rads are clean, but I did find a lot of standing water in the cavities of the shock towers. Anybody else have this?
Shell, CTC, Esso, Superstore, Costco, Ultimar 91 blends ethanol free for now
All 94 blends in Ont ethanol free.

Pretty much all new engines are built to withstand ethanol. Should not store with ethanol in the system.

Shell, CTC, Esso, Superstore, Costco, Ultimar 91 blends ethanol free for now
All 94 blends in Ont ethanol free.

Pretty much all new engines are built to withstand ethanol. Should not store with ethanol in the system.
100% agree.

Run a high octane and don't worry so much about the ethanol content unless the car is going to be sitting for any length of time. If it is going to sit, throw in some Shell 91 and fuel stabilizer, and you are good.

I made the mistake once of letting some ethanol fuel sit for a year. Good God...the carb and fuel lines were gummed up bad with sludge that was thick like honey. Took a few hours to clean everything out, but wasn't the end of the world.

Reactions: Macs65
Thanks for all your comments. I did some research on fuel octane grades for Esso, Shell, Petro Canada, Pioneer. Petro Canada does have 94 only at certain stations which I have identified in areas where I mostly will be driving. Esso has their Synergy Supreme+ 93 octane again only in certain locations with most clusters in the GTA. There are none close by where I live (Sarnia). Shell's website says: "the highest octane of all Shell fuels at 91 octane". Pioneers' highest is also 91 (Platinum 91 Octane).
So after all that It looks like Petro Canada 94 will be my first choice , Esso 93 second if I can find it on my travels, and any 91 in a pinch. Only having this car for four days I was wanting to determine the best options for my location which thanks to your comments I was able to make. As far as ethanol goes, we all have to live with it. 10% seems the norm . As far as storage goes, no ethanol gas, looks like Shell V-Power 91 or Canadian Tire 91 are my best options.
Found this from pure-gas.org :
All Canada: Shell V-Power 91, Canadian Tire 91
Atlantic Canada: Irving Fuels premium
Western Canada: CO-OP premium
Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island: all unleaded gas
Ontario: Costco 91
British Columbia: Chevron 94

Thanks all.

Reactions: OL Yeller
Thanks for all your comments. I did some research on fuel octane grades for Esso, Shell, Petro Canada, Pioneer. Petro Canada does have 94 only at certain stations which I have identified in areas where I mostly will be driving. Esso has their Synergy Supreme+ 93 octane again only in certain locations with most clusters in the GTA. There are none close by where I live (Sarnia). Shell's website says: "the highest octane of all Shell fuels at 91 octane". Pioneers' highest is also 91 (Platinum 91 Octane).
So after all that It looks like Petro Canada 94 will be my first choice , Esso 93 second if I can find it on my travels, and any 91 in a pinch. Only having this car for four days I was wanting to determine the best options for my location which thanks to your comments I was able to make. As far as ethanol goes, we all have to live with it. 10% seems the norm . As far as storage goes, no ethanol gas, looks like Shell V-Power 91 or Canadian Tire 91 are my best options.
Found this from pure-gas.org :
All Canada: Shell V-Power 91, Canadian Tire 91
Atlantic Canada: Irving Fuels premium
Western Canada: CO-OP premium
Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island: all unleaded gas
Ontario: Costco 91
British Columbia: Chevron 94

Thanks all.
A friend runs a modified 440 6 pack over 600 hp only uses Shell 91

For my C7 GM recommends 93 which I buy at our local Esso. 91 would probably be OK...I ran my C5 on that for 15 years...but for the few cents/litre extra I figured it was worth it.

It really doesn't matter. Hi octane is to combat knock. And only then in hot weather. Since most only drive their car in the summer, it is recommended to use 93 because heat and knock go together. In every stock performance car I've ever owned I use regular gas during the winter as there is 0% chance of knock. IMO People, with stock cars, who worry to much about their fuel are worrying needlessly.
In my Camaro with a heads and cam package I needed to run 91 3 seasons because of knock, but that car was far from stock..

It really doesn't matter. Hi octane is to combat knock. And only then in hot weather. Since most only drive their car in the summer, it is recommended to use 93 because heat and knock go together. In every stock performance car I've ever owned I use regular gas during the winter as there is 0% chance of knock. IMO People, with stock cars, who worry to much about their fuel are worrying needlessly.
In my Camaro with a heads and cam package I needed to run 91 3 seasons because of knock, but that car was far from stock..

Modern cars have knock sensors and if they detect any the computer retards the timing to protect the engine from detonation

Modern cars have knock sensors and if they detect any the computer retards the timing to protect the engine from detonation
Absolutely, but you don't want the computer retarding ignition if you want the best performance. I could care less about "best" performance as I don't race the car. Anyway, like you said the computer will take care of it so why worry.

Switch to Shell 91 NO ETHANOL !!!

In the past, I saw up to 10% ethanol for Petro Canada Ultra 94 grade advertised at the pump in Ontario. Now I noticed that it is not advertise anymore: is that means that the Ultra 94 grade does not have ethanol in the fuel?

Found this today PC site:
Question:
Do we put ethanol in our Petro‑Canada gas?
Answer:
Yes, all of our grades of gas, including our Ultra 94 high octane fuel , contain up to 10% ethanol content. This is required by federal and provincial regulations.
Does that mean even if they don’t put the percentage of ethanol on their pumps that all fuel regardless contains ethanol as it is federal and provincial regulators? They should have a pump that says JET FUEL no ethanol I guess!!!😳😤

Found this today PC site:
Question:
Do we put ethanol in our Petro‑Canada gas?
Yes, all of our grades of gas, including our Ultra 94 high octane fuel , contain up to 10% ethanol content. This is required by federal and provincial regulations.

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
Yes. It is difficult to navigate through all this when visiting the different brand websites. A lot of the information is buried or purposely hard to find. Even the maps used to find available octanes at specific locations can be questionable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.