Aug 16, 2012
Vancouver Island
VetteCoins
Car
still looking
OK, so I'm pretty new to the Corvette world and am looking for a car but what is it with all these adds that say "never been driven in the rain"? Do these things melt when they get wet? I really don't think so.

I've been a Harley rider for some years and I see the same attitude from some HD bikers- never been in the rain - and I gotta chuckle. You can't live on the Wet Coast and not ride in the rain. Some of my best rides have been soaking wet!

Anyway, I realize the 'vette ain't a winter car but I would imagine a decent set of 'wet' tires would make it drivable in the wet months on the coast. Right?

You're totally right. I think when people comment on never being driven in the rain, a two-fold reason might occur.

1. This can still be a measure of how well a car was "babied" by its previous owner. Someone that wouldn't ever have a drop of rain hit their car must be driving a cream-puff, right?

2. Back in the day, saying it was never driven in rain could make someone feel a little better about not getting a rusty frame, floorpans, wheel-wells etc. Rust-proofing has come A LONG way since, so I don't think it's as applicable as the former statement.

THese reasons aside, I think you're right. My 'Vette has seldom seen rain, but I wouldn't feel bad saying this to any prospective buyer......

Cheers!

Vince.

I always laugh when I see the never been driven in or seen rain stories.
WTF is wrong with these people. These cars are made to be driven, even the ALMS race cars are driven in the rain.
We like to travel with our Vette, nothing better than a few thousand mile journey in the Vette. Chances are your going to get wet somewhere along the way.
Unless your running slicks, todays tires are made to run in wet conditions.

Usually when a car is delivered from the factory, it sits on a rail car, car hauler, staging lot or all of the above for approximately three weeks. During this time its outside 100% of the time, very good probability it got wet at least one time.

Do they think it helps the cars value if it's never seen rain? Doesn't help one bit.
Sure they get dirty after the rain, but part of the enjoyment of owning these fantastic machines is cleaning them up to make them pretty again.

You want to be known as a Driver not a Waxer.

If the seller tells you the no rain BS, tell him you should get a discounted price due to the flat spots on the tires from being a Garage Queen. :canada:

Rain..well what about snow? My C6 caught in it bringing it home too early from storage...

Attachments

• vette snow.jpg
    vette snow.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 5
Don't you just love it when someone saves the car so that you can get it for less than half price and let them take the big depreciation despite never driving it. Ours even smelled new. With our car, depreciation worked out to about $2.75 per mile driven.....gas, oil and maintenance extra. While we don't take the car out in the rain, we won't have a heart attack if we get caught in a shower.

Last edited:
I myself try to not drive in the rain if it can be helped. I have other cars I enjoy driving and use in the wet...however, now that the car sits outside, I don't worry as much whether it will rain or not when I'm driving around....on that note, I actually dislike my car and interior getting baked by the sun day in and day out, that's why I like my car cover, good for the wet and dry!

OK, so I'm pretty new to the Corvette world and am looking for a car but what is it with all these adds that say "never been driven in the rain"? Do these things melt when they get wet? I really don't think so.
just make sure the wipers work ....:confused:

I myself try to not drive in the rain if it can be helped. I have other cars I enjoy driving and use in the wet...however, now that the car sits outside, I don't worry as much whether it will rain or not when I'm driving around....on that note, I actually dislike my car and interior getting baked by the sun day in and day out, that's why I like my car cover, good for the wet and dry!

That's why I like my GARAGE:rofl:.

I don't drive my car in the rain at al. It's been caught sometimes. Usually I drive it, wash clean, cover up back in the garage. Car was originally from Cali so may as well let it feel like its still living in so cal

OMG :eek: my car was in the rain yesterday morning!! Thank God it started..:D Is there any special things to watch for ??? (rain failures)

Attachments

• Sept 16-2012 009.jpg
    Sept 16-2012 009.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 9
Quick! Get it to Manny for a full check over! I think you'll need to replace the intake and exhaust....plus your heads and cam may be in trouble of rain failure so you better swap those out too!:D

Thank you! Thank you!

I just called Manny, and booked car in for Wednesday... He has a complete LS7 to drop in... Its never been in the rain... :canada: and I noted the top has gone soft:mad: Hes got a new solid roof in stock! Thank you for your referal I was devastated... :coolgleam:

I've been a Harley rider for some years and I see the same attitude from some HD bikers- never been in the rain - and I gotta chuckle. You can't live on the Wet Coast and not ride in the rain. Some of my best rides have been soaking wet!

Anyway, I realize the 'vette ain't a winter car but I would imagine a decent set of 'wet' tires would make it drivable in the wet months on the coast. Right?

mine's never been in the rain...lol

Corvettesalty1.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.