Busguy

Casual User
Feb 27, 2022
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Hi guys , need help before my first season with my C8 , I’ve been told that these stones can penetrate and damage rads , thru these two front vents , please help , should I spend 750 per side what dealer wants , Isn’t this a design fault??! Shouldn’t then do it for Free , please help , plus I wanna put spacers to push rims/tires out to give my car a Bulky look , need feedback on that too , please comment and help

Attachments

• IMG_4622.jpeg
    IMG_4622.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4623.jpeg
    IMG_4623.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi guys , need help before my first season with my C8 , I’ve been told that these stones can penetrate and damage rads , thru these two front vents , please help , should I spend 750 per side what dealer wants , Isn’t this a design fault??! Shouldn’t then do it for Free , please help , plus I wanna put spacers to push rims/tires out to give my car a Bulky look , need feedback on that too , please comment and help
These are popular and reasonable in cost if you don’t mind installing them yourself.
Amazon product ASIN B09GB4F8QK

Get some black plastic chicken wire fencing, with < .5" holes, and some black 12" cable ties, do a little trimming to fit, and fasten the plastic chicken wire in place with the cable ties. Done, for under $50.
FWIW, I chose Denis' system/option.
thanks

I am sitting on the fence about buying some sort of grill guards for my C8. I listened to Tadge explain that installing the guards can affect the temperatures of the car and cause over heating. This will void your warranty and the repair costs paid by the owner.
Yet, now I have learned that the “Scrape Armour” version is GM approved and GM is now offering these as an option on a new build? How many people have installed them? Has anyone experienced overheating on a long trip?
Appreciate your input.

I am sitting on the fence about buying some sort of grill guards for my C8. I listened to Tadge explain that installing the guards can affect the temperatures of the car and cause over heating. This will void your warranty and the repair costs paid by the owner.
Yet, now I have learned that the “Scrape Armour” version is GM approved and GM is now offering these as an option on a new build? How many people have installed them? Has anyone experienced overheating on a long trip?
Appreciate your input.
I have never heard of anyone overheating because of them. The only thing that might cause overheating is if you are a serious racer. I mean racing for an hour type thing. Tadge said that early in the Model, but he also said bent fins on the rads do not cause overheating. Can't have it both ways. Bent fins on the A/C rads will reduce air flow to the coolant rads behind them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette
According to GM, any damage is strictly cosmetic, and any foreseeable impacts won't cause a leak and bent fins won't cause overheating.

Various DIY kits exist, as discussed above. I would recommend against plastic materials, though. Plastic gets brittle with age and exposure to heat and sunlight.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette

Leave them as the car was built. We Corvette owners are a bit obsessive about some of this stuff. We tend to be over protective of our babies. What you see are just cooling fins, they do not carry coolant. They are just the heat sink to draw heat away from the pipes the coolant is in. I have 25k on my C8 and there is not even a single bent fin let alone damage. My daily driver is a Porsche Macan GTS and it has even greater exposure right at the front of the car and not a single mark with twice the Kms. Before that car I had an Audi with again exposed radiator fins and no damage. Think back to our earlier cars of the 70s when most cars had highly exposed radiator fins and how damaged they would get from road debris. If you like to add little do dads to your C8 go ahead but don't think for a minute they are necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread