Costco gas is supplied by Husky Energy who, in turn, are owned by Cenovous. Cenovus pays a dividend of $0.42/year/share and it will definitely increase in the coming months. Cardinal Energy just declared a dividend of $0.06/month or $0.72/year equal to 6.5%. Most Canadian energy companies are buying back their own shares because they are considered to be very cheap at current prices. Invest in Canadian oil shares and the income will more than cover the increase of your gas at the pump.

Shares in the oil patch are way up due to the international price for oil. Oil is an international commodity and is priced based on demand versus supply. Western governments had a direct influence on a reduction in supply for ESG reasons. Mark Carney (if you don't know the name look him up) strong armed all the big banks and large investment companies to reduce investments in oil and to make loans to energy companies dependent on arbitrary ESG performance figures. So supply is way down and investment in new oil wells has declined due to reduced financing. The Canadian and American oil industry is pissed and rightly so. The government forced them to reduce development by restricting investment which has caused supply to stabilize or decline, and now prices are way up because demand is recovering. And now the two governments hint at taxing the "windfall" profits of the oil industry. The world is facing the effect of 'unintended consequences" of western governments attempt to force green energy on a world that is ill prepared for it at this time.

So next time you fill up and pay the high price, remember my little diatribe and then consider your vote in the next federal election. ;) But most of all - enjoy the ride!

The US is rapidly headed for a recession. That has already affected the TSE and DOW to a small degree. If and when it becomes reality (and this guy is pretty sure it will), what is at a -10 at the moment will hit -35 to -50 likely within 3 weeks to 3 months from now. If you are playing with equities, keep some cash available as that will be the time to pounce. JMO

... The extra couple bucks to drive my Vette a hundred km means nothing...:Biggrin:
I cannot agree with this comment any more ... after all there are way more significant expenditures that are never ever "justified" by her
... other than when selecting my expensive steaks at the grocery store to offset this whole discussion entirely. Yummy

If you are playing with equities, keep some cash available as that will be the time to pounce. JMO
Always good to have some dry powder ... but it is difficult to time the market consistently, however oil has been an easy play the last 12 months. Lots of up and down but always on an upward trajectory. More than 100% up in the last 12 months - I am very far from being a stock market guru but it has been the easiest money I have ever made. All I did was follow the advice of Eric Nuttall.

Costco gas is supplied by Husky Energy who, in turn, are owned by Cenovous. Cenovus pays a dividend of $0.42/year/share and it will definitely increase in the coming months. Cardinal Energy just declared a dividend of $0.06/month or $0.72/year equal to 6.5%. Most Canadian energy companies are buying back their own shares because they are considered to be very cheap at current prices. Invest in Canadian oil shares and the income will more than cover the increase of your gas at the pump.

Shares in the oil patch are way up due to the international price for oil. Oil is an international commodity and is priced based on demand versus supply. Western governments had a direct influence on a reduction in supply for ESG reasons. Mark Carney (if you don't know the name look him up) strong armed all the big banks and large investment companies to reduce investments in oil and to make loans to energy companies dependent on arbitrary ESG performance figures. So supply is way down and investment in new oil wells has declined due to reduced financing. The Canadian and American oil industry is pissed and rightly so. The government forced them to reduce development by restricting investment which has caused supply to stabilize or decline, and now prices are way up because demand is recovering. And now the two governments hint at taxing the "windfall" profits of the oil industry. The world is facing the effect of 'unintended consequences" of western governments attempt to force green energy on a world that is ill prepared for it at this time.

So next time you fill up and pay the high price, remember my little diatribe and then consider your vote in the next federal election. ;) But most of all - enjoy the ride!
One should always consider one's vote in any election.
It doesn't matter which party, they are all wanks who think they know what is best, where the world is going and how to get there. And pretty well each time the markets (or Mother Nature) prove them wrong.
Look at Keystone XL! It got cancelled when it was/is just about complete and now they are actually talking of putting another line in the ground. You think they would be smart enough to just "rename" Keystone and finish the project. But that is the way simple minds like mine think. Need to spend more money for job creation.
And again, they are all like that.

Reactions: Vanguard2001
Just attended a conference that featured Stephen Harper (22nd Prime Minister; remember when we had a balanced budget AND low taxes?) and the best thing he said was: politicians will typically get things wrong, usually due to pressure to act prior to receiving adequate information (such as Covid), however at least in a democracy there is some accountability whereas in an autocracy the mistake is much long-lasting (ie China)

Lets not make this a political thread. I hated Harper for many reasons, but I won't get into it here. The only reason for high gas prices is greed. How much profit is too much profit? Beats me, so I just grumble and pay. lol. Luckily I'm retired and don't depend on driving for a living.

Greed lol. Yes government greed. What are the cumulative taxes on fuel in Ontario. Get rid of those first then we can talk about corporate greed. How much tax on fuel is actually a tax on a tax? Lots.

Meanwhile our federal government is sending billions around the planet to initiatives that serve no purpose for Joe Six Pack.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.