Gm usa & gm canada mobil 1 policy differences ??

I took delivery of my 2015 coupe (LT 1 engine) Oct 2014 and then took it to Florida for 6 months where I had my first and second oil change.

In the USA GM in a Global connect bulletin to all USA dealers has mandated all C7 corvettes must use Mobil 1 , which is included in the 24month/4 free oil change program. My experience was at Sunset Chevrolet in Sarasota FL I was given Mobil 1 with no upcharge and there was no argument regarding the fact the oil life monitor was no where near down to 20%

In March I contacted GM CANADA customer service and asked them if we now had the same policy as GM USA. I quoted the USA Global Connect bulletin that was sent to all USA dealers. The lady I spoke with said she was not able to access the GM USA bulletin. She also advised that UNLIKE the USA, GM Canada has NOT issued any bulletin specifying ALL C7's get Mobil 1. I do not understand why the change was made for vehicles sold in the USA with a lesser standard for the canadian sales........makes no sense to me

@C7Driver: The US LOF Program is slightly different from the Canadian LOF program.

The Canadian LOF program is as I described above.

FYI In the US the LOF program also covers tire rotations and fluid top ups. In Canada it does not.

Seems absurd that a base Corvette driven in Canada can run on dino oil, but the exact same Corvette driven 10 km south of the border MUST only use synthetic oil. Maybe they need a reminder that the temperatre does not go down as soon as you cross the border....

Last edited:
I know that GM Canada controls pricing and warranty on the cars sold here so I guess they can decide if a synthetic blend is good enough for them like their Dexos vs Mobil 1. It definitely is a upgrade from than plain old Dino oil of the past with the testing they have done and the additives and quality standards they force on the suppliers to meet the Dexos standard. Great way for them to make a buck as well given the license fees.

On the upside Owais mentioned that GM Canada was leaving the 2016 warranty coverage the same as the 2015 while the U.S group is reducing it next year on the C7.

I reached out to GM about this and here is the answer I received via email. Given what Owais is aware of at his dealership, the fact they used Mobil 1 for C7Jake in Windsor on a base car, it seems this policy is all over the place.... I'm going to print this off and bring it with me to get my oil changed.

Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry. I m sure as this weather is finally warming up, you re definitely ready to get your Corvette out on the road!

I went ahead and looked through some of my internal resources, and was able to see that both ACDelco dexos1 and Mobil 1 meet the dexos engineering specification that your Corvette was designed, tested, and approved with.

Additionally, I reached out to one of my contacts in Canada, and it appears that there shall be no additional charges for using Mobil1 at a certified GM dealership.

I certainly hope that this information helps. Please let me know if you should have any additional questions.

All the best,

Shane M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited:
My dealer apologized (prior to the oil change) after they realized that Mobile 1 was the oil recommended for the C7. It didn't start well but I emailed them the bulletin that went out to the dealers in the US and I guess they checked and confirmed.

@C7Driver: GM USA can not set policy for GM Canada. It's important that GM Canada confirms this directly and that they verify that all 2015 Stingrays (base, Z51 and Z06) qualify for Mobil 1.

As far as I know in Canada base Stingrays get free ACDelco and can use Mobil1 with an additional charge. Z51 and Z06 get Mobil1 under the Canadian LOF program.

You have 4 free changes, really depends on your driving. If you use it as a daily driver or just leisure. I would try to take advantage of the free changes, did you get the 800km one done last fall? I intend to do one in the spring , one in the fall before I store it for the winter. Once the free ones are done probably once each spring. I only put about 5-6k km's on it each driving season though. If I had it as a daily driver or put a lot of mileage on it after the free ones I would just follow the computer, it will tell you when it's time. I do that with my GMC Acadia which is my daily driver.

If you don't mine me asking where are you taking it to get your oil changes done?

If you don't mine me asking where are you taking it to get your oil changes done?

Haven't gone anywhere yet, I did the first one myself at 500 miles. Thinking of taking it across town to MacMaster near the airport, I'm near Lambeth. They have a quick lube drive thru so no need to put the 'Vette up on a lift. I can watch it get done. The closest one to me is Ray Cullen , you have to make an appt, get the car put on a lift and you can't keep an eye on them. Just a pain in the butt to go thru that so the quick lube is worth a little drive. Apparently they have a little Cafe in their shop at MacMaster as well that serves meals, coffee etc. called the Corvette Cafe so I take it they are a little more friendly to us Corvette types.

Edit - I see reading a couple of your posts that you bought yours from MacMaster, how did you like dealing with them? I bought mine in Toronto because nobody had an allocation in London last year when I was in the market. We just moved to London two yrs ago so have little experience with the local dealerships.

Last edited:
C7 Z51 First Oil Change - April 27

Had a local dealership change the oil yesterday.
For all C7 Z51 owners who have not had their first oil change (500Mi), GM has reduced the amount from the system capacity of 9.3 L to 8 L to prevent the overflow problem.
After the change, checked the dip stick in the pump reservoir and the level is 1/4 - 1/3 down from the top of the hash marks.
Will keep an eye on it as time goes on.

@C7Driver: GM USA can not set policy for GM Canada. It's important that GM Canada confirms this directly and that they verify that all 2015 Stingrays (base, Z51 and Z06) qualify for Mobil 1.

As far as I know in Canada base Stingrays get free ACDelco and can use Mobil1 with an additional charge. Z51 and Z06 get Mobil1 under the Canadian LOF program.

I got dinged the extra charge for Mobil1 when I had my break-in oil change done at Mike Jackson in Collingwood. No complaints about the service. In fact the actual hands-on guy Eric was very informative and helpful. I have a Z51.

I got dinged the extra charge for Mobil1 when I had my break-in oil change done at Mike Jackson in Collingwood. No complaints about the service. In fact the actual hands-on guy Eric was very informative and helpful. I have a Z51.

I hope you applied for the credit. They should have given you the Mobile 1 .... z51 right?

Had a local dealership change the oil yesterday.
For all C7 Z51 owners who have not had their first oil change (500Mi), GM has reduced the amount from the system capacity of 9.3 L to 8 L to prevent the overflow problem.
After the change, checked the dip stick in the pump reservoir and the level is 1/4 - 1/3 down from the top of the hash marks.
Will keep an eye on it as time goes on.

Z51 dry sump capacity is 9.3 litres, not 8 litres.

Mobil 1 oil change

The dealer in Phoenix ( Chapman Chev ) that does my oil changes
informed me that GM pays them $80.00 / change.
Mobil 1 5/30 amounts to $78.00 for a Vette --- so , no charge for me.
My local dealer in Victoria, BC won't entertain the thought of using
Mobil 1 ---

The dealer in Phoenix ( Chapman Chev ) that does my oil changes
informed me that GM pays them $80.00 / change.
Mobil 1 5/30 amounts to $78.00 for a Vette --- so , no charge for me.
My local dealer in Victoria, BC won't entertain the thought of using
Mobil 1 ---

You should be getting Mobil 1 if you have a Z51. I understand it's a directive from GM.

I got mine done this past weekend at Gateway. Some initial debate amongst the technicians about using Mobil 1, but all went well. In fact the hour and a half flew by as I chatted to other Vette owners who happened to be at the dealership.

Last edited:
Well I finally went for a oil change today in London at MacMaster Chev. I did a change myself at 1000km's , today the car has 5800 km's. To my pleasant surprise without asking the techs put Mobil 1 in , no questions asked. I have a ZF1 car not a Z51 so the engine is not the dry sump. All went well, had them replace the normal oil drain plug with a magnetic plug to grab any particles nearby. They treated the car very well being very careful with it. They have a drive thru lube but because the C7 is so low they actually back it in over the pit to avoid hitting the wind deflector in the front. They will get my business again.

Hi C7Driver,

I apologise for not getting back at you sooner.

GM Canada issued a revision to their free 2 yr LOF (Lube Oil Filter) program on March 7th, 2015.

Here is an except concerning the 2015 Corvettes.

Quote:
Owners of 2015 MY Corvette Z51 and Corvette Z06 equipped with dry sump systems are now limited to five (5) service events during the program period. The first service should take place immediately after the break-in period which occurs after 800 KM

2015 MY Corvette (base) are now to use ACDelco Dexos1 5W30 in accordance with the Owner Manual.

END QUOTE

Based on the above it is my understanding that the Base 2015 C7's still get 4 free oil changes in a period of 2 years or 40000KM whichever comes first. The approved free oil under the program for Base C7's is ACDelco Dexos1 5W30.

The 2015 Z51's and Z06's are entitled to a total of 5 free oil changes over a period of 2 years or 40000KM whichever comes first (including the first oil change after breaking @ 800KM). The approved free oil under the program for Z51 and Z06 is Mobil 1.

For C7's purchased and serviced at Gateway we offer an additional 4 Free LOF services. This means a total of:

2015 Base C7's get 8 Free Oil Changes over 80000KM or 4 Yrs -- ACDelco Dexos
2015 Z51 and Z06 C7's get 9 Free Oil Changes over 80000KM or 4 Yrs -- Mobil 1

I hope I have answered your concerns above.
Thanks Ojamali, for your clarification. I am a junior member and have read about this oil change issue for over a year ( while I waited for my 2014 Z51 that turned out to be a 2015 ). All I hear is what you stated about the Z51's and Mobil 1, yet 2 dealerships here in Vancouver ( including the Service Managers ) just look at me and shake their head and say no - there is an up-charge for fully synthetic or I get Dexos . Nothing I say seems to change that. Is there any proof or documentation I can obtain somewhere to prove what you have stated ? Thanks so much for your help

Thanks Ojamali, for your clarification. I am a junior member and have read about this oil change issue for over a year ( while I waited for my 2014 Z51 that turned out to be a 2015 ). All I hear is what you stated about the Z51's and Mobil 1, yet 2 dealerships here in Vancouver ( including the Service Managers ) just look at me and shake their head and say no - there is an up-charge for fully synthetic or I get Dexos . Nothing I say seems to change that. Is there any proof or documentation I can obtain somewhere to prove what you have stated ? Thanks so much for your help

Tell your service manager/rep to look up this service bulletin:

GM Global Connect: Ref. number: Service / Service Operations / G_0000208346

It will state Z51 & Z06's get Mobile 1 and just the base Corvette gets the Dexos ( non dry sump )

Tell your service manager/rep to look up this service bulletin:

GM Global Connect: Ref. number: Service / Service Operations / G_0000208346

It will state Z51 & Z06's get Mobile 1 and just the base Corvette gets the Dexos ( non dry sump )

Just did the 500 mile oil change on my 2015 Z51, and asked for Mobil 1, they didn't seem to blink, but it was at a dealership in Vancouver that others on the forum have stated they had issues with regarding Mobil 1.

The invoice just lists 10 L of oil (with a code - no mention of type) would anyone know if that code can determine what type of oil they used?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.