Shall we have a July 14, 2018 national CCF meet in Winnipeg?

• I'm from the USA and coming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm from the USA and not coming

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Some how I don't think cowboy hats and corvettes mix.

I thought that was the real reason for the targa top, so you could still wear your 5 gallon hat in the car. I think the 3 gallon hats fit with the roof still on. :D

I liked Stampede as there seemed to be a lot going on. When I was younger, I would venture onto 17th, but would stay 10 blocks away from there now. But I thought the concerts were good. The atmosphere seemed pretty good at the grounds. I always left on a positive note.

yup ... I'm getting a feeling that this will end up not having enough interest and it will be a start from either Red Deer or Edmonton.
It’s like watching a ship go around in circles from where I sit with 3 different captains driving. Lol. Start here.start there. Meet here,meet there.

What’s with meeting in Saskatchewan ? Wouldn’t the whole point of this trip be to travel with as many as possible? Logistics say Edmonton guys drive south,pick up the red deer guys. Head south. The BC boys meet that night in Calgary. Stay a night,stampede a bit. Everyone head east the next morning. Puzzles me why you northern guys want to go east right away. Oh wait. We might still have snow !!

If anybody decides to bail out,you can always come to Montana that weekend.

It’s like watching a ship go around in circles from where I sit with 3 different captains driving. Lol. Start here.start there. Meet here,meet there.

What’s with meeting in Saskatchewan ? Wouldn’t the whole point of this trip be to travel with as many as possible? Logistics say Edmonton guys drive south,pick up the red deer guys. Head south. The BC boys meet that night in Calgary. Stay a night,stampede a bit. Everyone head east the next morning. Puzzles me why you northern guys want to go east right away. Oh wait. We might still have snow !!

If anybody decides to bail out,you can always come to Montana that weekend.

Perhaps you should come along and keep us Edmonton guys in line Mike.
Not sure what your angle is as you firmly announced the first day you are not interested in this event.
Spence has some good ideas and we are all pretty open to some well made plans. I’ve not seen the Northern guys protesting his idea?
It’s all just kicking off in the planning so a bit early to be scolding the guys I think.

Pardon but your post seemed a tad aggressive Mike.

D

Mike, I believe you are correct with part of the fun of the trip being cruising together, however, I think the reason why the Edmonton folks would contemplate heading straight to Saskatchewan is that going down to Calgary first adds 2 more hours and 250 more km to the trip. Which isn't that much by itself, but turns a 8 hour drive into a 10 hour drive plus stops, etc, etc. So, that is most likely the reason why (imho).
So, part of the fun is enjoying the people on this trip, which obviously means getting to Calgary, vs enjoying the trip so you aren't too burnt out for some fun in Saskatchewan, which means heading straight to the Jaw. (We have one event lined up where we let a dog loose, watch it run away, and two days later when you can't see the dog anymore, we let another one loose!!!)
Personally, if I were in Calgary, I'd love to have the northern people join up, but being from the "northern" route of Saskatchewan, I would love it if the Edmonton folks could come and pick me up (along with any other Saskatchewan people I can get to come along) so I don't have to drive to MJ myself.

Should we start an items to bring list? However, outside of bringing two way radio's so we can all keep in communication, I don't know what else to suggest. I don't know, is anyone coming with an old enough Corvette where we need to worry about breakdowns? (I have CAA) but would we want to ask anyone who's Corvette is still under construction (cough, cough, TalyorSk8) if they could bring a truck with trailer and some basic tool, fluids, etc, just in case someone needs help on the side of the road?

Mike, I believe you are correct with part of the fun of the trip being cruising together, however, I think the reason why the Edmonton folks would contemplate heading straight to Saskatchewan is that going down to Calgary first adds 2 more hours and 250 more km to the trip. Which isn't that much by itself, but turns a 8 hour drive into a 10 hour drive plus stops, etc, etc. So, that is most likely the reason why (imho).
So, part of the fun is enjoying the people on this trip, which obviously means getting to Calgary, vs enjoying the trip so you aren't too burnt out for some fun in Saskatchewan, which means heading straight to the Jaw. (We have one event lined up where we let a dog loose, watch it run away, and two days later when you can't see the dog anymore, we let another one loose!!!)
Personally, if I were in Calgary, I'd love to have the northern people join up, but being from the "northern" route of Saskatchewan, I would love it if the Edmonton folks could come and pick me up (along with any other Saskatchewan people I can get to come along) so I don't have to drive to MJ myself.

Should we start an items to bring list? However, outside of bringing two way radio's so we can all keep in communication, I don't know what else to suggest. I don't know, is anyone coming with an old enough Corvette where we need to worry about breakdowns? (I have CAA) but would we want to ask anyone who's Corvette is still under construction (cough, cough, TalyorSk8) if they could bring a truck with trailer and some basic tool, fluids, etc, just in case someone needs help on the side of the road?
Thank you all for the open discussion on this required resolve ...

I'm not sure if there are any who reside in Regina or Moose Jaw on this cruise. So maybe a collection of all of Alberta in Red Deer and drive East along secondary highways with a stop in Saskatoon should be strongly considered. I am grabbing at options to avoid fragmentation (which was surely the embracing intent of messages). It would then result in an 8 hour trip to Winnipeg along Highway 16 - which might offer much more than what the boring Hwy #1 offers (???). Need input ....

In an attempt to be constructive with not fragmenting and going out-of-the-way, it was worthy for two drivers who added 300km to their Lake Louise Cruise. To not just drive directly west and meet. There was another group of three from Calgary who decided to fragment on the same road from Calgary to Red Deer for reason that can only be speculated - I honestly wasn't sure how to take that at first - water now under the bridge. I do appreciate Mike's intent as a non-participating observer as he shares in first-hand experience of embracing solo-cruising (which he does enjoy ... way more than I do) and with the lack of more active and capable cruising participants South of the Vicinity of Red Deer (so far).

Last edited:

I myself will come to Calgary the day ahead of the main cruise if this helps us to form a more direct route and to keep the group more organized from the beginning, and to start off with the BC group from there. I suggest maybe Derek or someone starting a poll on whether this is more desirable from an Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, and Rocky Mountain standpoint. I understand that not everyone can take an extra day off of work to go to Calgary a day early, but if we work together as a "team", this should be easily achievable for most of us to come up with an agreement. Just an idea to maybe help achieve a more mutual decision.

Thank you all for the open discussion on this required resolve ...

I'm not sure if there are any who reside in Regina or Moose Jaw on this cruise. So maybe a collection of all of Alberta in Red Deer and drive East along secondary highways with a stop in Saskatoon should be strongly considered. I am grabbing at options to avoid fragmentation (which was surely the embracing intent of messages). It would then result in an 8 hour trip to Winnipeg along Highway 16 - which might offer much more than what the boring Hwy #1 offers (???). Need input ....

In an attempt to be constructive with not fragmenting and going out-of-the-way, it was worthy for two drivers who added 300km to their Lake Louise Cruise. To not just drive directly west and meet. There was another group of three from Calgary who decided to fragment on the same road from Calgary to Red Deer for reason that can only be speculated - I honestly wasn't sure how to take that at first - water now under the bridge. I do appreciate Mike's intent as a non-participating observer as he shares in first-hand experience of embracing solo-cruising (which he does enjoy ... way more than I do) and with the lack of more active and capable cruising participants South of the Vicinity of Red Deer.

Red Deer to Saskatoon (through Stettler and Provost) is about 5 hours drive time (stops not included). That run, at least to Wilkie, I have made many times on my fishing trips to northern Manitoba and it is all good road. Hwy 14 into Saskatoon was always a good road as well anytime I've been on it. Riley uses that route each spring to come to Ponoka if that's a better testimonial. Saskatoon to Moose Jaw is slightly over 2 hours driving time. All in, still a reasonable drive time of 7 hours more or less... (By the we way... my drive time above assumes 10 to 15 over the posted limit...lol...)

And by the way Riley, Edmonton to Calgary in 2 hours requires an average speed of 160 kph (more than 10-15 over)... :rolleyes::rolleyes: of which could be enjoyable but unfortunately may very likely instill a significant delay into ones ETA..... And I'm sure as a member of staff here that you are not in any way promoting illegal activities... :Nono1:...:p...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Red Deer to Saskatoon (through Stettler and Provost) is about 5 hours drive time (stops not included). That run, at least to Wilkie, I have made many times on my fishing trips to northern Manitoba and it is all good road. Hwy 14 into Saskatoon was always a good road as well anytime I've been on it. Riley uses that route each spring to come to Ponoka it that's a better testimonial. Saskatoon to Moose Jaw is slightly over 2 hours driving time. All in, still a reasonable drive time of 7 hours more or less... (By the we way... my drive time above assumes 10 to 15 over the exact posted limit...lol...)

And by the way Riley, Edmonton to Calgary in 2 hours requires an average speed of 160 kph (more than 10-15 over)... :rolleyes::rolleyes: of which could be enjoyable but unfortunately may very likely instill a significant delay into ones ETA..... And I'm sure as a member of staff here that you are not in any way promoting illegal activities... :Nono1:...:p...:rolleyes:
Sounds like an awesome cruise (hopefully not a race) that I would like to join - just curious as to why South to Moose Jaw from Saskatoon with Hwy 16 diagonally to Winnipeg from there ... or is this that Calgary is just to go East(?) as Highway 16 avoids some going North to go East and then go South again ... would there be a suitable accommodation stop East of Saskatoon on Hwy 16?

no need for speed ... it appears there's some sort of speed-thing when we are actually in the Middle ...
as much as I thoroughly enjoy things like watching Nascar and Cannonball Run,
I admit they are part of a few things that where "saying opposed to doing" actually would apply to me.

Last edited:
Red Deer to Saskatoon (through Stettler and Provost) is about 5 hours drive time (stops not included). That run, at least to Wilkie, I have made many times on my fishing trips to northern Manitoba and it is all good road. Hwy 14 into Saskatoon was always a good road as well anytime I've been on it. Riley uses that route each spring to come to Ponoka if that's a better testimonial. Saskatoon to Moose Jaw is slightly over 2 hours driving time. All in, still a reasonable drive time of 7 hours more or less... (By the we way... my drive time above assumes 10 to 15 over the posted limit...lol...)

look I am still bedridden (not in a good way thanks to pneaumonia not sex) so please be kind to my words not thinking properly today

I would like to try red deer as a starting point, never been that far before,

next would be hiway 16 as I like that route and do not care for hiway 1 as I have done that a bunch of times butif that was the decision then we could stay at my aunts and meet up towards medicine hat the next day

also think Calgary would be ok at spence has outlined and it would be nice to wave at mikey as I leave (we have waved to guys before in pictures inside joke just saying we are here and you are not, as a joke and proud to be on the road and not stuck at home nothing else intended )

I was hoping to be part of a smaller group for a couple of reasons (most of which I will keep private at this time as they are part of a post that might be made about crusing in general and do not wish to reveal my inner brain from what others have told me about crusing)

one thing though it might be fun to meet oth3er groups on the way rather than just get 20 of us and away we go, altogether

sometimes small groups 3 to 6 are better than one big group from Calgary of 20 or so

sorry to be going down yet another path so in sum red deer or Edmonton then gladly calgary (WISH WE COULD DO THEM ALL)

later back to bed as hospital still has 6 hour wait times Jeff

Sounds like an awesome cruise (hopefully not a race) that I would like to join - just curious as to why South to Moose Jaw from Saskatoon with Hwy 16 diagonally to Winnipeg from there ... or is this that Calgary is just to go East(?) as Highway 16 avoids some going North to go East and then go South again ... would there be a suitable accommodation stop East of Saskatoon on Hwy 16?
no need for speed ... it appears there's some sort of speed-thing when we are there ... so enjoy the cruise with the rest of us

Red Deer to Saskatoon is as close to due East as it gets. Actually a bit south of due east. Opposed to Hwy 16 start to finish, it does indeed add +/- 41 minutes to the entire Winnipeg trip. If a BC contingent does commit though, Moose Jaw would be an acceptable run for them to meet up with the other members from here that choose that option.

And if 10 to 15 kph over the posted limit seemingly detracts from enjoying the cruise for some, I would venture that may also become a consideration for some members of where, why, what, when, and how. JMHO....

Reactions: ddgermann
look I am still bedridden (not in a good way thanks to pneaumonia not sex) so please be kind to my words not thinking properly today

next would be hiway 16 as I like that route and do not care for hiway 1 as I have done that a bunch of times butif that was the decision then we could stay at my aunts and meet up towards medicine hat the next day

also think Calgary would be ok at spence has outlined and it would be nice to wave at mikey as I leave (we have waved to guys before in pictures inside joke just saying we are here and you are not, as a joke and proud to be on the road and not stuck at home nothing else intended )

I was hoping to be part of a smaller group for a couple of reasons (most of which I will keep private at this time as they are part of a post that might be made about crusing in general and do not wish to reveal my inner brain from what others have told me about crusing)

one thing though it might be fun to meet oth3er groups on the way rather than just get 20 of us and away we go, altogether

sometimes small groups 3 to 6 are better than one big group from Calgary of 20 or so

sorry to be going down yet another path so in sum red deer or Edmonton then gladly calgary (WISH WE COULD DO THEM ALL)

Get better soon Jeff. :thumbs:

Thanks for input Jeff ... as you recuperate toward wellness.

... I am among those very understanding of individual choice and preference ...
It can be my selfishly attempting to pin options down for enhancing a 7 day round trip for the day in the Middle.
(as others that we have not yet heard from might also be trying to determine while waiting)

it's looking that without a survey AB will fragment for the start East ... no problem
I'm going to now to continue to develop the plan for those who option the need for a Calgary stop
as I am being reminded that required accommodation in this Town during Stampede Week needs to be set ...

... direction out of Calgary can be set later ...

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann

Jeff, take it easy on the nurses and hospital staff, ya right!

A quick a full recovery my friend.

After reading all these great ideas, I would just like to say ( being a so far the only B.C. party) I am excited for this cruise and will be taking whatever holidays are needed to get a successful trip done. I will wait and see what comes of a initial starting point and will make sure I'm there the night before. Time in the drivers seat doesn't matter to me how long it is each day as long as I'm cruzin:canada:. On a side note , I like sn-III idea of a southern route trip on the way back. Can't wait for all this to come together:Party:

Hey Mikey I have both the boots and the hat! Boys are comfortable but the hat hits the back of the headrest. A real pain! Used my corvette for the westerner Parade and it’s fun. Only issue are those damn magnetic signs for who is I the car, they are a b$#€< to attach to the doors!

Atta boy Paul.... Good cowboy $hit-kickers are super comfortable footwear. I also have both boots and hats as well. Next time for the headrest problem, head for Liquidation World. Cheap cowboy hat and a pair of scissors and you will fit perfectly to the headrest and still looks fine from the front and sides... Just take the hat off before you get out of the car.... Or not!...
:rofl:

Ok Eric, you’re on let’s do this! I think you’re into something here. If the rim is big enough and it’s cut just right it would lock your head into position so you wouldn’t get a sore neck during G-force curves!

Ok Eric, you’re on let’s do this! I think you’re into something here. If the rim is big enough and it’s cut just right it would lock your head into position so you wouldn’t get a sore neck during G-force curves!

Unfortunately Paul, I require full movement during G-force curves to dodge the myriad of punches from the passenger seat occupant.... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread