I'm neither an introvert or have cop phobia.... I just want to know how to get out of a 92 kph over the speed limit ticket.... Especially in Ont. and BC.... This is a road sign after you enter Ont. from the west....

1573271656560.png

• Wow
Reactions: Cobravenomous
You are obviously a very good talker... Or have the ultimate speeding excuse... Either way, you should be sharing it with your great friends here on the forum.... :angelic:

I think I shared this story earlier this summer but please allow me to share again. The very day I had my mandatory 800km oil change, with the added feature of also no longer having my redline limited to 4000 rpm I decided to give it a go!

It was a Friday, I had the oil change in the morning and now it was around 5:00pm. I actually headed up to my dealer as they are situated on the outskirts of town where although the speed limit remains 50 kph, it is a commercial area. I was at a red light turning left and the car behind me, a midsize car had a mother and teenage daughter in the front seat. I got the advance green arrow and I slowly made my left turn, but once completed, having no cars in front of me, in a commercial area with no residential houses and no kids, I let her go. My exhaust was in track mode and all safety devices being traction control and stability control remained on. There was no smoking of the tires, no tire squeal and no rubber tread marks however I really stepped into it! First to second went smoothy, no power shift, just quickly off the throttle, shift and back into it. That's about when in my rear view mirror I saw this black and white (new) pick up truck with roof lights flashing step out and around the car that was behind me. Everything happened so quickly quite truthfully I'm not exactly sure how fast I was going, but it was somewhere between 120-140. I immediately signaled, pulled over, and lowered my drivers window. The cop was 35ish and he simply said ownership and insurance please to which although I keep them in the centre console, being anxious I was having trouble finding them.

He then said "didn't you see me back there behind you?" I said, "officer, if I saw you back there, do you really think I would drive like that?" He found that quite funny, breaking out in a laugh! I knew then at least he was friendly.

He then asked me if I was under suspension, which I found strange and when I replied no, he said well as long as you check out I'm letting you go. He then asked me many questions about the car including horse power, year and how long I've owned it, which allowed me to bring up the fact that I just had the mandatory oil change that morning and that now I was no longer restricted to 4000 rpms. He then said "so you came out here to try it out?" I said ya, and he replied "well I would have too!"

With that, he and his partner who was also admiring the car let me go. They did a "U" turn rather than follow me and I drove the six miles home about five miles below the speed limit, shaking uncontrollably and I couldn't drive the car for three days due to my continued anxiousness. I was terrified because I had visions of being charged with stunt driving (50 over), and having my precious new car towed as well as all the other negative consequences that go along with that charge ha ha. I was fortunate that I was pulled over by a cop who was also a car enthusiast.

Most importantly I showed him respect, owned up and didn't try to lie or make excuses. Hey you caught me, at that point I know I'm guilty however I also realize they have the ability to use discretion. My thoughts at the time were to attempt to simply play into his humanity so that any charge would be somewhat lowered due to being forthright and respectful. I didn't expect to get completely off, but that was real nice!

Not to diminish this, however I doubt that he had me on radar, and in absence of tire rubber marks, squeeling or smoking tires the only thing that I think he had was his visual experience of seeing quick acceleration and hearing the roar of the exhaust.

Regardless I wouldn't have wanted to test that, and I remain grateful with him letting me go. Interestingly he didn't even tell me to slow down!

;)

Last edited:
Wow, you are one very lucky dude Cobra. That experience would have taken 5 years off my heart. The Ontario stunt driving law has hurt a lot of people and the insurance companies love it.

It is a nasty catch all piece of legislation. I'm definitely not a proponent of street racing but this catapult approach is not the right way to combat that.

I drove the six miles home about five miles below the speed limit, shaking uncontrollably

This bring back memories for me.
I got my first and only speeding ticket on the way to Winnipeg.
When it was time for the return trip to Toronto, I never went over the Speed limit, it made for a really long and boring ride back but I was so nervous my eyes always went to the speedometer :).

I think I shared this story earlier this summer but please allow me to share again. The very day I had my mandatory 800km oil change, with the added feature of also no longer having my redline limited to 4000 rpm I decided to give it a go!

It was a Friday, I had the oil change in the morning and now it was around 5:00pm. I actually headed up to my dealer as they are situated on the outskirts of town where although the speed limit remains 50 kph, it is a commercial area. I was at a red light turning left and the car behind me, a midsize car had a mother and teenage daughter in the front seat. I got the advance green arrow and I slowly made my left turn, but once completed, having no cars in front of me, in a commercial area with no residential houses and no kids, I let her go. My exhaust was in track mode and all safety devices being traction control and stability control remained on. There was no smoking of the tires, no tire squeal and no rubber tread marks however I really stepped into it! First to second went smoothy, no power shift, just quickly off the throttle, shift and back into it. That's about when in my rear view mirror I saw this black and white (new) pick up truck with roof lights flashing step out and around the car that was behind me. Everything happened so quickly quite truthfully I'm not exactly sure how fast I was going, but it was somewhere between 120-140. I immediately signaled, pulled over, and lowered my drivers window. The cop was 35ish and he simply said ownership and insurance please to which although I keep them in the centre console, being anxious I was having trouble finding them.

He then said "didn't you see me back there behind you?" I said, "officer, if I saw you back there, do you really think I would drive like that?" He found that quite funny, breaking out in a laugh! I knew then at least he was friendly.

He then asked me if I was under suspension, which I found strange and when I replied no, he said well as long as you check out I'm letting you go. He then asked me many questions about the car including horse power, year and how long I've owned it, which allowed me to bring up the fact that I just had the mandatory oil change that morning and that now I was no longer restricted to 4000 rpms. He then said "so you came out here to try it out?" I said ya, and he replied "well I would have too!"

With that, he and his partner who was also admiring the car let me go. They did a "U" turn rather than follow me and I drove the six miles home about five miles below the speed limit, shaking uncontrollably and I couldn't drive the car for three days due to my continued anxiousness. I was terrified because I had visions of being charged with stunt driving (50 over), and having my precious new car towed as well as all the other negative consequences that go along with that charge ha ha. I was fortunate that I was pulled over by a cop who was also a car enthusiast.

Most importantly I showed him respect, owned up and didn't try to lie or make excuses. Hey you caught me, at that point I know I'm guilty however I also realize they have the ability to use discretion. My thoughts at the time were to attempt to simply play into his humanity so that any charge would be somewhat lowered due to being forthright and respectful. I didn't expect to get completely off, but that was real nice!

Not to diminish this, however I doubt that he had me on radar, and in absence of tire rubber marks, squeeling or smoking tires the only thing that I think he had was his visual experience of seeing quick acceleration and hearing the roar of the exhaust.

Regardless I wouldn't have wanted to test that, and I remain grateful with him letting me go. Interestingly he didn't even tell me to slow down!

;)
I spent 12 years with the OPP doing the GTA highways. Most cops are decent, polite and easy going and will give you a break depending on what you did. Treat them with respect and they will reciprocate. They are after all people just doing a difficult job, many times under less then ideal circumstances. The badge is just a piece of metal to identify themselves with. It doesn't give them super powers.

I'm neither an introvert or have cop phobia.... I just want to know how to get out of a 92 kph over the speed limit ticket.... Especially in Ont. and BC.... This is a road sign after you enter Ont. from the west....

View attachment 33364

Radar detectors are illegal with the exception of some US states. But a radar jammer ... that's a new gadget I am not aware of. Just drive with a bit of common sense and find a quiet road if you need to open her up a bit. I had it up to 175 recently for a very short stretch of a farm road with clear view for at least 3 kms. But my typical driving is to set the cruise at a few klicks over the limit if that is safe. Much like the 401, 120 km/hr is accepted on the the 417 outside of Ottawa city limits. The stretch of 417 east from Ottawa to Quebec was recently increased to 110 and most drivers are cruising at 120-125.

• Agree
Reactions: tyho
I thought radar detectors were illegal?
They aren't illegal here in BC.
I just noticed you are in Ontario, the site should give you more information regarding what can and cannot be used in your area.
I am looking at getting a laser system next year.

Do a YouTube search, there is some more information on it there.

View attachment 33364

My way to deal with this is to drive safely on public roads and take out my desire to go flat out on the track. I'll boot it quickly when my engine is warm, but only up to (a bit over) the speed limit (ok, maybe 140 on on-ramps).

Nothing better than repeatedly hitting 1+ G in every corner with the tires chirping away, sliding out of a tight corner, followed by blasting up to 200 kmph, only just to hammer on the brakes and have the ABS go off, 50 meters from a turn you need to take at 80 kmph or you're going into the grass.

I've only been pulled over once while daily driving my Vette because I had no front plate and there was an MTO blitz in the area.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.