mmbiker

I'm New Here
Feb 2, 2015
Saskatoon
VetteCoins
Car
Hello,

I am new to this forum.

I had been dreaming about the C7 Stringray for the longest time but has a few questions before going one step further to buying one :)

1. Am I making any huge mistake buying the 2015 Stingray 1LT package? I am all about durability so I try to avoid options that has higher potential of failing.

2. I have a 2009 Honda Accord. How much more maintenance are we talking about compare to my 4 cylinder accord? I have heard very expensive maintenance bill for porsches and other super car, I sure hope Corvette are not like those european super cars...

3. How durable is corvette C7 ?? I plan to have it until C8 comes...

thx!

Hi mmbiker!

Welcome to the forum.

The base 1LT Coupe presents an incredible value so you are getting a top quality vehicle for sure. The 2LT and 3LT are the premium trims offered and based on what additional options you get I don't see any reason for you to feel you would get exposed to unexpected costly breakdowns.

In addition to your factory warranty, GM Canada also offers 2 years of free oil changes (4 oil changes total) to ensure you maintain it to factory specs. At Gateway we go a step further by offering our customers 4 yrs of free oil changes.

How durable it is will depend on if you drive it similar to how you drive your Accord or if you drive it like a sports car on a track. The factory tires are not meant to be drive through winter so if you plan to drive it through winter consider getting a set of winter tires with your purchase.

Another option for you would be to opt for the new Maintenance Plan which GM Canada just introduced on Jan 30th, 2015. The Enhanced Maintenance Plan would basically cover for most maintenance expense for your new Corvette.

The following are the product highlights:

1. Two levels of coverage to choose from

a. Essential Care • Available on new vehicles within 3 model years of the current calendar year, as well as used and Certified Pre-Owned vehicles within 3 model years of the current calendar year and with under 60,000KM.

b. Enhanced Care • Only available on new vehicles within 3 model years of the current calendar year.

2. Multiple plan terms to choose from that are tailored to meet the customer’s ownership cycle and driving patterns (i.e. time and kilometres) -- upto 7 years/120000KM

3. $0 deductible on covered maintenance services

4. In most cases, the cost for the Maintenance Plan can be included in a customer’s finance/lease payments

The enhanced maintenance plan covers the following:
1. change of all fluids including engine oil, transmission oil, break fluid, engine coolant, clutch fluid
2. change of spark plugs, brake pads and rotors, shock absorbers, engine hoses & clamps, engine belts, light bulbs and wiper blades.
3. Engine Air Filters, Cabin Air Filters, Seat Filters

Unfortunately the Corvette ZR1 and Z06 is currently not eligible to purchase this new product. Also excluded is the Camaro Z28.

Don't wait too long. If US increased the price then Canada wont be too far behind and price might increase as soon as this Thursday and I expect the Canadian price to increase by a lot more. Make sure you pick the right dealer so you wont get your vehicle and may not even get you price protection if you get bumped to a 2016 C7.

Best of luck!

Hi mmbiker! Welcome to the forum! And a local guy to boot! Woo!

You're not making any mistakes in purchasing a "base" Corvette. They all have the same motor and transmission (outside of the Z06 of course). It just depends on the options you are looking for. If you want heated/ventilated seats, then you have to move up packages. If you want more color in the interior, heads up display, upgraded stereo, you have to move up packages etc, etc.

If none of those options are appealing to you, then you would actually be wasting money getting a higher package. I wouldn't avoid getting a better package with something you want just to avoid potential problems. Vehicles are more reliable today then ever and you have warranty for anything that can pop up in the near future.

As for your second question, I am not sure about any higher maintenance costs than any other Chevy on the road. It would be comparable to your Honda. The only exotic thing the Corvette really uses is synthetic oil, which isn't that exotic. Corvettes are very affordable..... and don't even get me started on their fuel economy. Phenomenal for a car that has 455 hp and a V8. They are definitely sports cars that you can afford to drive for a long time.

As for durability? http://www.canadiancorvetteforums.com/forums/c5-forum/6715-c5-durability-testimonial.html

awesome car...1LT no options...a few mods:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody can speak to the reliability of the C7, since it has not been out long enough.

But so far, with the recalls, engine blowups, increased first oil change interval panic, I would say reliability is NOT good. It is actually POOR so far. This is not a Honda, LOL! It is a supercar, with typical supercar reliability issues.

We will see how the next few years go.

Only then can anyone have an opinion based on facts.

Last edited:
I went with the base Z51 ( 1LT ) and couldn't be happier. Wife wishes we had waited for the 2015 since now she'd like the Auto ( since she occasionally drives it rush hour traffic ). Myself I love the 7 Speed manual. Only option I added to the order was the black rims.

Best 67k I've ever spent!

Nobody can speak to the reliability of the C7, since it has not been out long enough.

But so far, with the recalls, engine blowups, increased first oil change interval panic, I would say reliability is NOT good. It is actually POOR so far. This is not a Honda, LOL! It is a supercar, with typical supercar reliability issues.

We will see how the next few years go.

Only then can anyone have an opinion based on facts.

Very true that you can't really predict how reliable the C7 will be but to say the reliability is not good? What percentage of C7's are having problems of the total built? How does this compare to other makes in the same class as the Corvette?
It seems all Automakers have their issues, not just the supercars: Honda recall: 700,000 Canadian vehicles need airbag inflator replacements | CTV Kitchener News :D

Hi Mike,

If I recall correctly you also opted for Z51 without NPP exhaust (was optional at the time) and red calipers. And you got price protection and delivery in 10 weeks.

I went with the base Z51 ( 1LT ) and couldn't be happier. Wife wishes we had waited for the 2015 since now she'd like the Auto ( since she occasionally drives it rush hour traffic ). Myself I love the 7 Speed manual. Only option I added to the order was the black rims.

Best 67k I've ever spent!

Welcome. I got the 2015 z51 1lt manual. I too don't like too many bells and whistles in case of breakdown and I wanted a sports car, not cruising in a living room that goes fast. A few mods will individualize the car to your taste. If you also go onto other forums you will read that most owners suggest the
z51 for better resale value.

Hi Mike,

If I recall correctly you also opted for Z51 without NPP exhaust (was optional at the time) and red calipers. And you got price protection and delivery in 10 weeks.

Owais, yes no NPP but also no red calipers. I like the look of the dark stock calipers with the Night Race Blue.

Biggest issue is having to wait for Spring!

I've always bought pretty basic if I order from scratch I go vert with 3lt .The 08 I bought new on EBAY and it came with stuff that does nothing for me .

If I we're to order a C7 it would be a coupe with 2lt .nothing else .

These are good feedback!

Base model with no options is still what I am after. This will be my toy car, driving around town and even some road trip!

I am fine with used too but hardly any out there.

The picture of a base corvette looks awesome! what's the code name for the color??

With the base model, it has the option for a transparent T top. How does that work? Does it come with a T top that's none transparent so I can switch it back and forth? Hate to have a transparent top 100% of the time.

@carbuff

I thought the ZF1 also gives u the same brakes and rotors. I'll have to confirm that tomorrow.

I keep forgetting that new option for 2015. Gm calls it an "appearance package", so to me historically for GM it only meant decals and rubber spoiler bits, and such. Not sure that it includes big brakes.

MMbiker, the best option I put on my car is the NPP. Find a dealer with them in stock and listen to both. By far the best option I put on my 2LT. I also would not be without the transparent roof. Just my $0.02

Hi mmbiker, the roof is removable panel between the windshield and rear window. There are three options for this panel are painted, transparent, and exposed carbon fiber. You can switch between all three at anytime you want, if you have all three roofs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.