Aug 8, 2011
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1975 L82
Hey folks, I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to keep the inner caps on my 75 from falling off my tires when I hit a bump ? I bought them from Corvette Central and they are plastic but one of them doesn't seem to fit very well and I fount it up on the neighbors lawn the other day. I appreciate any help on this

Did you try swapping it onto one of the other 3 rims to see if it likes one of them better. Could be the rim that's causing the problem.

Good idea. Sometimes it's the common sense things I overlook. Thanks. It could be the rim because the other day when it fell off, I noticed one of the lug nuts was gone and it was smokin hot. I couldn't touch the other ones to find out if they were tight. There was smoke coming from that wheel somewhere when I pulled over. Not good I'm sure

Good idea. Sometimes it's the common sense things I overlook. Thanks. It could be the rim because the other day when it fell off, I noticed one of the lug nuts was gone and it was smokin hot. I couldn't touch the other ones to find out if they were tight. There was smoke coming from that wheel somewhere when I pulled over. Not good I'm sure

If you've got a smoking wheel then you have a much bigger problem then a loose hubcap. Which wheel is it?

It is the rear drivers side. I smelled smoke when I pulled up to an intersection. When I looked at it, noticed the one lug nut missing and it was way too hot to touch to ensure the others were tight. It was squealing some on start up but went away after a bit.

Plastic centre cap won't stay on....minor.
Squealing wheel......major!
Smell/see smoke from the wheel....major!
Missing wheel nut.......major!
Wheel rim is very hot....major!

Please don't drive your car until this is repaired.
Buckhorn has said it... internal parts issues....
be careful.
graham

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.