YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
With the fun that keeps rolling along on this Canadian Corvette Forums
Just like our Parents and our Grandparents before them ...
Post your "I remember when ..."

... the Accessory that every Automobile had was ...
AConoff.jpg

Last edited:
I miss manuals, almost everything on dealer lots are autos now. I bought a pack of smokes for a friends wife. Visiting me from out of town. Bought her kid a bag of chips and a bottle of coke. It was $14 something. I miss that when 14, that same combo only cost $5 max. Besides manuals, I miss seeing kids walking alone in mass amounts. Walking too and from elementary school. Even the kindergarten kids. Now you see a line of mini vans picking them up..... I hate that......

Read an article recently of a young guy who bought an older Corvette. He could not figure out why every time he pushed the clutch in the high beams either came on or shut off. Previous owner had carpeted over the infamous floor mounted high beam switch (still think it is a better idea than the stick on the column) and when the clutch was depressed the lights changed.

Cool. At least I thought so.

I remember my Dad coming home with a new Ford pickup in 78. The thing had an “8 Track” stereo. Wow! The wave of the future. I also remember arguing with an uncle who said cassette tapes were going to make 8 tracks obsolete. Thought he was crazy. Of course he was right and I have not lived that argument down to this day.
09F48535-4612-4D6F-87C2-5173B49B9B57.jpeg
67B88855-CCE6-443C-918F-6604C3E21612.jpeg
B8FD6849-7FE7-4540-8915-3EFC41624C45.jpeg

Many of you will likely remember guys hauling around suitcase sized “tape cases” haha
BBD8E934-5A6D-4732-9C49-9A9244C60F0B.jpeg

And our bedrooms looking like this...
AC02F3B4-94C7-4330-B447-534738C2DDEC.jpeg

Our cars then: 30 songs.
1097FB34-13D7-4785-ABB4-30EE03ABF45C.jpeg

Our cars now: 3000 songs
4D53F7E8-4454-4CC3-83F6-2EB8FC81C72D.jpeg

Wonder what’s next....

The reason it was on the stalk in Europe. Like Canada too. It is legal to exceed the "posted" limit in Europe too pass safely. It is still technically legal to exceed the limit too pass safely in Canada too. So in Europe. You also flash lights to warn people ahead of you. You are about too pass. This way the Lady ahead doesn't enter the left lane while you are passing. Too pass the truck as well. It isn't just a too slow in left lane thing. It is similar too entering a cross walk. The pedestrian is supposed to point indicating they are crossing at an un-controlled cross walk. Hence in most of Canada. On highways we tend too drive much faster then Americans, etc...... I've never had a speeding ticket in BC.....Since 16 in 1988... And I drive fast....

I remember my Dad coming home with a new Ford pickup in 78. The thing had an “8 Track” stereo. Wow! The wave of the future. I also remember arguing with an uncle who said cassette tapes were going to make 8 tracks obsolete. Thought he was crazy. Of course he was right and I have not lived that argument down to this day.
View attachment 12224 View attachment 12225 View attachment 12226

Many of you will likely remember guys hauling around suitcase sized “tape cases” haha
View attachment 12227

View attachment 12228

View attachment 12230

View attachment 12229

Wonder what’s next....
I can't believe your dads 1978 truck had "Air Conditioning" He must of been rich, plus dual tanks and carpet. Wow what's next a Citizen Band Radio? Oh that's right he has one as well. Probably two tone paint also. Nice options.
These are things that were all expensive options that most of us would do with out because we couldn't afford them.

Last edited:
I can't believe your dads 1978 truck had "Air Conditioning" He must of been rich, plus dual tanks. Wow what next.

That’s not actually his truck but the dash is the same minus the CB radio. It was a metallic brown and cream coloured “Lariat” with tilt wheel, A/C, speakers in the doors, 15" Firestone 721 radials on white wheels, 400 engine and dual tanks. Snazzy truck in it's day.
It was his first ever new vehicle.... which I took the engine out of at 20,030 km. Warranty expired at 20,000. Ya I was not the most popular 16 year old for a few weeks.... :rolleyes:

41DDD531-A593-4604-BFA5-81CDBA489F35.jpeg
FBE28BD4-7D33-4C5C-AEAE-58D118B1C364.jpeg
B373E54F-00CD-4345-A428-610F58B4197A.jpeg
View attachment 12224 View attachment 12225 View attachment 12226

View attachment 12227

View attachment 12228

View attachment 12230

View attachment 12229

Wonder what’s next....
I’ll see your box of 8 tracks and raise you this selection of cassettes. My 96 Lexus has a factory cassette deck and these all play fine. Lol.

I had this while I was working at Fortress Mountain back in 87. Look at the date written in the lower left corner. 30 years next week I’ve been carting this case around. Lol.

Bat out of Hell.... Great album Derek... One of my deserted island choices..... (explain)... We use to have a favorite question for each other when we were much younger.... If you were stranded forever on a deserted island (and had a choice of music) what three albums would you want with you.... (assuming you had a way to play them...lol..) Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell was one of mine....

If this catches on, I will reveal my other two..... :Smuggrin:

Great choices Mike. As I got older, my appreciation of Canadian music also increased exponentially. But I was not nearly as patriotic when I was growing up as I became later in life. At that time, mid to late US 70's groups had my ear and in addition to Bat out of Hell, Running on Empty and Hotel California would have been my big Island three. I know.... I know.... the Eagles were overplayed to the point of wearing them out but HC will always be considered one of the best guitar solos of all time... Felder and Walsh were mind blowing and still hold a place in my guitar heart...... After a while, although not straying from my early loves, I began to appreciate Rush and the amazing bass of Lee, The Guess Who, BTO, Leonard Cohen, Capton, Queen (Brian May especially) and a plethora of others.... All good.... there are no bad choices when we are appreciating music....

Frick, forget the suitcases with 8 tracks. You never even see the binders full of CD’s anymore. The next wave will have everything online and you just pick the songs you want to listen to. Actually Google will know from it’s vast knowledge of you what your mood is for the day and songs you’d like and Make an appropriate playlist for you.

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Frick, forget the suitcases with 8 tracks. You never even see the binders full of CD’s anymore. The next wave will have everything online and you just pick the songs you want to listen to. Actually Google will know from it’s vast knowledge of you what your mood is for the day and songs you’d like and Make an appropriate playlist for you.

Already there man. I have this on my phone and Macs. They sync to the Bose systems throughout the house and work fine in the car too.

Deezer:
D1DDBAF5-AB39-4800-8E4D-28DF05C6F1D4.png

7D85D6A0-2B7D-46DC-9D68-58D3AFAB44F7.jpeg
AA316172-54B2-4BBA-B63C-98C2E7D7163A.jpeg
Great choices Mike. As I got older, my appreciation of Canadian music also increased exponentially. But I was not nearly as patriotic when I was growing up as I became later in life. At that time, mid to late US 70's groups had my ear and in addition to Bat out of Hell, Running on Empty and Hotel California would have been my big Island three. I know.... I know.... the Eagles were overplayed to the point of wearing them out but HC will always be considered one of the best guitar solos of all time... Felder and Walsh were mind blowing and still hold a place in my guitar heart...... After a while, although not straying from my early loves, I began to appreciate Rush and the amazing bass of Lee, The Guess Who, BTO, Leonard Cohen, Capton, Queen (Brian May especially) and a plethora of others.... All good.... there are no bad choices when we are appreciating music....

Oh the big name American bands are still high on my playlists. Did you happen to see the Eagles show in Edmonton or Saskatoon back in March 2009? 3 hrs of pretty much their whole library. They played 4 nights at the Credit Union centre and to this day,one of the best live shows I’ve been too. I went to the second of 4 nights.

Oh the big name American bands are still high on my playlists. Did you happen to see the Eagles show in Edmonton or Saskatoon back in March 2009? 3 hrs of pretty much their whole library. They played 4 nights at the Credit Union centre and to this day,one of the best live shows I’ve been too. I went to the second of 4 nights.[/QUOTE]

Yup, we were there. One of the best shows on my list, along with the last Fleetwood Mac show also.

Does anyone remember having to pump the gas pedal once to set the choke? Then have to wait for the car to warm up before driving away. Now we have a cool little button we press from inside the house and when we go out the car is magically warm, along with the seats. Ah... those were the days.

My daily driver (a 2006 Pontiac Vibe none the less) still has manual windows. I love them they always open the speed you want! and you don't need the keys with you to roll them up or down. It is handy that it is a small car and I can reach across to the passenger side though. It is a weird car though...manual windows and locks...but has heated leather seats and a power sunroof. It is also a 5 speed which is probably why I like to drive it so much. Just needs another 100 or so HP.

There are so many "I remember when" things in my head and I am not even that old. In my driving lifetime alone (16yr) I can remember gas being $0.46/L. My 97 half ton had a tape deck AND a CD player (swanky I know).

Kids running rampant on Halloween with no parents or worries. Hell I think I was biking to town 2.5 miles on my own by the time I was about 12 and then hung around town with my friends. Now you get looks from parents if you sit to far away from your kids when they are playing at a park.

Anyway good thread!

T

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.