My daily driver (a 2006 Pontiac Vibe none the less) still has manual windows. I love them they always open the speed you want! and you don't need the keys with you to roll them up or down. It is handy that it is a small car and I can reach across to the passenger side though. It is a weird car though...manual windows and locks...but has heated leather seats and a power sunroof. It is also a 5 speed which is probably why I like to drive it so much. Just needs another 100 or so HP.

There are so many "I remember when" things in my head and I am not even that old. In my driving lifetime alone (16yr) I can remember gas being $0.46/L. My 97 half ton had a tape deck AND a CD player (swanky I know).

Kids running rampant on Halloween with no parents or worries. Hell I think I was biking to town 2.5 miles on my own by the time I was about 12 and then hung around town with my friends. Now you get looks from parents if you sit to far away from your kids when they are playing at a park.

Anyway good thread!

T

Now that's a memory... My first job was working weekends for a farmer at 13-16. This guy lived about 10 miles from our farm. He gave me either a grain truck, 3/4 ton Chevy pick up or a 68 Caddy to drive home at night. Had lots of fun in the Caddy....472 engine with cruise control on a big dial you could crank and the car would kick down a gear and open right up...no little speed tweaks with this system. Freaking hilarious imagining having that system today.
2338_23_low_res.jpg

Second job was a local ESSO gas station where gas was 23 cents a GALLON. :Woot: I used to freak out when the bikers on Harleys came in. They would carefully watch to make sure I didn't spill a drop on the tanks. Scared the hell out of me but they tipped better than anyone else. :Biggrin:

So our kids are now safer with all the rules and instant communications..... we are so much better off now huh.... I think not.

Yes cool thread..

... urban life - remembering growing up ...
Community was every parent knowing every kid and watching out for them as if they were their own. I remember getting crap/lectures from friends parents just as much as from my own. As a kid, every parent was "Mr." or "Mrs." and none of this first name basis crap today (I'm over 50 now and still refer to these great people that way). As a kid, "text messaging" was getting your shoes and coat on, walking a block or two, ringing to door bell to see if "Johnny" was there. AND ... year-round Street Hockey ... getting a clothes line peg and match cover and clipping it on the bike wheel to give it that motor'ish sound ...

oh yes only 3 huh ... damn, probably gonna forever edited these just to start ...
Trooper
Prism
ELO
Boston
Queen

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
... urban life - remembering growing up ...
Community was every parent knowing every kid and watching out for them as if they were their own. I remember getting crap/lectures from friends parents just as much as from my own. As a kid, every parent was "Mr." or "Mrs." and none of this first name basis crap today (I'm over 50 now and still refer to these great people that way). As a kid, "text messaging" was getting your shoes and coat on, walking a block or two, ringing to door bell to see if "Johnny" was there. AND ... year-round Street Hockey ...

I was saying too my mom about the good old days. Even in grade one 1977/8 school year. After school my friends and I would either go too my house or Tyler's house cause he had chores before his parents came home from work. Mother was a school teacher, so home by 4:30pm the latest. We'd often go too the neighborhood store for candy. I said too mom. We'd often collect cans for the deposit. Cause we didn't have adults too ask for money. I said besides you'd be mad if I asked even Mrs. H or Mr. for candy money. She said the real lesson in how the old days where is that you still call them Mrs. and Mr. And you still see them today.... Back in those days. Even my friends with dentists fathers had paper routes, etc. It was awesome........

Reactions: ddgermann
I remember when drive inn theatres were one of the coolest places to go. Sneaking buddies in your trunk, along with copious amounts of liquor. I don't think most of us actually watched a complete movie. The memories I have of many nights there are priceless, and cannot be posted on here for obvious reasons. Great times!!!!

We had a few popular drive in theaters around when I was a teenager. Into early adulthood, as well. They've all but disappeared. One still going in Aldergrove/Langley BC........ We'd grab a few pizza's and beer, etc.. Go into the theater and basically dull roar "party". One time I got invited by a group that did VW performance stuff. Hot Water Performance was the business. One of the owners lived in my cousins condo building in Surrey. I had a Ghia at the time....... Bumped into the guy, and they had a customer meet up at the drive in. So I went after he invited me. It was pretty fun ladies wise with the coolest VW there. That was 1992/3 time frame. I think that was my last drive in...... I also miss that A&W's in small towns here, still car hop style until the late 1990's........

I remember when drive inn theatres were one of the coolest places to go. Sneaking buddies in your trunk, along with copious amounts of liquor. I don't think most of us actually watched a complete movie. The memories I have of many nights there are priceless, and cannot be posted on here for obvious reasons. Great times!!!!

Ziggy do you remember the Belmont drive in in Edmonton. Played mostly B and “romantic” movies. All on a huge outdoor screen. Haha.
Those were the days. :Biggrin:

Reactions: turbozig
I also miss pay phones and nobody had a cell phone. My cousin more of a niece. She graduated high school in Victoria BC last June. She didn't believe me that you just had too hang around pay phones in malls for meeting potential "dates". Said that's creepy....... No girls would come up too me at gas stations, seven elevens and the mall. They'd "bum" smokes and lights. Sometimes even ask for a ride too some house party their friends are at..... It was better then social media, too meet "strangers" the same age. It was much friendlier then. I also remember and miss block "parent" signs. And miss them even though we never used them as kids, etc....... Its was nicer and safer knowing we had mostly good people in the hood. My cousin my age is an RCMP officer and so is her husband. They don't tell people they don't fully know are good that they are police now.......

You must’ve hit a few of the “dusk till dawn” weekends back in the day !! Lol. Remember those ?? Usually 4 movies wasn’t it ??

I remember moving from screen to screen at the old Corral 4 off 17th ave SE mid movie. All depended who had more beer and other party favours to which screen we’d hit. Lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.