I would like to announce the rolling out of two things and I entirely have to thank the forum and the caliber of members we get on here. For example:

Over the past month I've been talking with our member, ichpen as he approached me and has graciously offered to become a supporting vendor of the forum. Along with adding some good content to the forum every month for us, he is also going to bring the forum out of the early 2000's and bring it up to where it should be.

What does that mean for us?

This will result in quicker speeds, much better reliability, much better technical support, and the forum will now be much more mobile friendly among many other features (such as having the ability to do instant messaging) which will make the forum that much better of a place to hang out and talk about our passion.

Within the next week or two, ichpen and I will be working on the layout and technical side of things to ensure it will run just as smoothly as it currently does (actually, it will run way better thanks to him). Once we are satisfied with the results. We will switch the forum over to the new one and carry on the same as before but with greater reliability and more features.

If you would, could you please congratulate ichpen as our newest Supporting Vendor as this would not have happened without his dedication and work to make this forum better for everyone.

A follow up announcement will be made once we are ready to switch over to the new forums. The switch should be transparent to you (your usernames/passwords will remain the same as will the URL/address) but there will be a period of a day when the forum will be offline as we migrate it over. Stay tuned for more updates on this as we get closer to final cut.

:canada:

Riley P

First of many teasers as development progresses. More than half way done.

Media Galleries and personal storage:

Create your own photo/video albums with as many privacy controls as you want i.e. share them with everyone, groups, followers, site-wide, individuals. Group albums by categories, tags etc etc.

You can rate, up-vote, like and comment on photos/albums.

Post media directly into the CCF's site wide albums or your own creations.

And you will have your own storage bucket so no need to upload them elsewhere. You will be able to import media directly from your phone, mobile device, computer or via URL if it's hosted externally.

You will be able to embed video directly into your albums also.

More to come.

Brief update, we will be in beta testing mode of the new forums this week with the help of some of the mods (who may or may not know that they've volunteered :)). Expect to switchover within a few days of the Beta phase completing.

It's all coming together.

Brief update, we will be in beta testing mode of the new forums this week with the help of some of the mods (who may or may not know that they've volunteered :)). Expect to switchover within a few days of the Beta phase completing.

It's all coming together.

Hurry up already :rofl:

Alright hold your horses or steering wheels :)

Testing going well so far, at this stage the plan is to switch it over this weekend. I'll be trying to do this in the least disruptive way possible but there may be some outages.

Here's what will happen (in typical pharmaceutical ad fashion side-effects may vary :)):

On the old/this forum:
1. Friday night - new user registrations will be disabled
2. Friday night - Snapshot of all users/content will be taken
3. Posts will be allowed on the old forum but they more than likely will not be migrated so if you've won the lottery and want to celebrate it by buying me a decorative fez and smoking jacket, best hold tight for a few days

New forum:
1. Saturday/Sunday - lots of work, testing and adjustments.
2. Sunday night - if item 1 goes ok we will be switching it
3. Monday morning - completion, big celebration, drink, be merry, upload plethora of irrelevant pics :)

Plan as it stands today.

We will be creating a new temporary 'Report a Bug/Help Me I'm lost/What does this do?' sub-forum to help you transition. If you have questions that will be the place to post them.

There are a LOT of new features and it will take some time to adjust. I've not even implemented half the stuff I want yet to keep the shell shock levels down.

Your usernames/passwords will remain the same as here. Your avatars should migrate, for those without avatars the forum will automagically go search for a pic that's associated with your email address if you have one so don't be surprised if a bath pic suddenly shows up.

For anyone with a media gallery/album on here, migration may not be so smooth from what I've seen so recommendation is to take a snapshot/save your links in your albums. The new media gallery is lightyears ahead of this one so it'll be worth the effort to start fresh.

If something horrific happens in the process the new forums will be repointed back to old whilst we address the issue.

If you have issues logging in and can't get anywhere you can use the Contact form on the new forum or email directly at: [email protected].

For those of you using tapatalk for mobile access, you can throw that away. Forums will be perfectly accessible on mobile devices. If there's demand for tapatalk support we can look into supporting it in the future.

Vendors
Your banners will be re-introduced next week after the migration so don't panic.

Take care guys.
Nik

Good luck. Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead.

It will be interesting to see what shape it takes. We are waiting with baited breath now (does that mean fish breath, I never understood that or am I using the wrong word?)

Nik, the work you have been doing so far has been outstanding. I'm so excited!!!

One thing I should mention is that I got Nik to bring in a whole bunch more emoticons/smilies for you guys as I know this has been requested a few times in the past.

Thanks Riley and all.

First stage of the migration commencing tonight at 8pm (see notice above).

8pm - no new registrations will be permitted

You can still continue to post but more than likely new posts after 8pm will NOT be migrated.

There we go...the 404 page earlier had me a bit concerned...now is simply the art of getting to know the new system. Riley, I am sure that if you ask nicely, you can get things such as 'New Posts' and 'Recent Posts' put on a main menu so when one first arrives at the site, they arent hunting for them. For him, it is simply flick of a switch.

Nik, seems to be working just fine. Took a while to figure out how to get ride of the spammers and I've sent them packing posts and all!!
Great work on your part !
Rob

Thanks. I sent a couple also, you'll note the spamcatcher is pretty good and will load them onto your moderation queue.

Can you do me a favour and drop a few pics into this post please? Would appreciate a pic from regular (non-mod) users. Works well on my side and I see some media galleries also popping up since last night but good to check.

There we go...the 404 page earlier had me a bit concerned...now is simply the art of getting to know the new system. Riley, I am sure that if you ask nicely, you can get things such as 'New Posts' and 'Recent Posts' put on a main menu so when one first arrives at the site, they arent hunting for them. For him, it is simply flick of a switch.

New Posts is under the Forums menu in the navigation pane, I'm debating whether to implement a separate navigation button (that is part of the sticky menu) just for new posts or put something up on the main forum page. Fair point though, a few have complained that it's not terribly intuitive on how to get to them.

There's also going to be a dynamic dedicated page that will allow you to review popular, new posts etc.

Remember you also have various shortcuts like the quick navigation pane:

http://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/233886/014006782edd0b6286f4fe6d27cc9d82

Testing dreaded photobucket:

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo248/Ragde15/midohiocorvetteandferrari.jpg
midohiocorvetteandferrari.jpg

No... I am sure you could throw a new posts icon right ip there at thge top beside members....no? My forums were done this weekend but are nowhere nearly as customized as this.