I would like to announce the rolling out of two things and I entirely have to thank the forum and the caliber of members we get on here. For example:

Over the past month I've been talking with our member, ichpen as he approached me and has graciously offered to become a supporting vendor of the forum. Along with adding some good content to the forum every month for us, he is also going to bring the forum out of the early 2000's and bring it up to where it should be.

What does that mean for us?

This will result in quicker speeds, much better reliability, much better technical support, and the forum will now be much more mobile friendly among many other features (such as having the ability to do instant messaging) which will make the forum that much better of a place to hang out and talk about our passion.

Within the next week or two, ichpen and I will be working on the layout and technical side of things to ensure it will run just as smoothly as it currently does (actually, it will run way better thanks to him). Once we are satisfied with the results. We will switch the forum over to the new one and carry on the same as before but with greater reliability and more features.

If you would, could you please congratulate ichpen as our newest Supporting Vendor as this would not have happened without his dedication and work to make this forum better for everyone.

A follow up announcement will be made once we are ready to switch over to the new forums. The switch should be transparent to you (your usernames/passwords will remain the same as will the URL/address) but there will be a period of a day when the forum will be offline as we migrate it over. Stay tuned for more updates on this as we get closer to final cut.

:canada:

Riley P

Does this mean I need a cell phone now?

I am happy with the forum the way it is but if ichpen can make it better then that is good I guess. There is however a reason that I no longer take "software updates" on my computer.

Good luck.

I'm glad to hear people like the forum the way it is as it sounds like we've been doing a good job. No worries with the "software upgrades". ichpen is very capable and knowledgeable and what he is doing is going make things much better. If I didn't have faith that this would be a good thing, I would be keeping it the same.

Thanks for the kind words Riley and all. I realise change can be a little scary but it's also packed with opportunity for improvement.

Rest assured the general structure of the forums won't change so there will still be a busy Performance section and a desolate Northern Canada section. :) We are preserving all current content.

The look and feel will change but we hope in a positive way. New forums will be designed to maximize your experience with a greater focus on clear content delivery and minimize things that get in the way like unnecessary scrolling or notifications that abruptly stop you from whatever it is you were doing.

There's a whole pile of new features that Riley and I will be divulging over the upcoming days in ways Apple marketing gurus will be proud of.

After successful switch over I'll be personally providing support and taking on requests for new features.

Will keep you posted.

Nik

ichpen... Are you going to be pulling this right up to VB5? Very curious to see your work as I am in the process of trying to implement a mobile environment on my forums right now....vb 4.2

ichpen... Are you going to be pulling this right up to VB5? Very curious to see your work as I am in the process of trying to implement a mobile environment on my forums right now....vb 4.2

No VB involved, VB died with version 5 for a lot of people. IB has been in deep neglect of its products and support.

I initially thought about doing it on our very own homebrew realtime platform but not ready for prime time so it's going to xenforo + significant custom work which I'm in the process of doing.

Not to mention migrating from VB to XF is actually a lot easier than VB to VB.

.....Thanks 4 the coming positive step ahead. Hope to see things like direct upload of pics from pc . I have posted alot of pics since I recently joined and it is a pain cause if I don't do it quick then I get logged out. My internet speed is not much faster than dialup and going through the bucket to upload and 2 finger type words I often get shut out. Looking forward to what's new.

Xenforo is an amazing platform I have looked at. Looking forward to your work. Would be interested in knowing what you might charge for an install!

XF and burning board are the two hottest and most rapidly developed forum platforms today. PM me if you need specific work done.

.....Thanks 4 the coming positive step ahead. Hope to see things like direct upload of pics from pc . I have posted alot of pics since I recently joined and it is a pain cause if I don't do it quick then I get logged out. My internet speed is not much faster than dialup and going through the bucket to upload and 2 finger type words I often get shut out. Looking forward to what's new.

These problems will be a thing of the past soon. :)