Thank you for sharing your photos during your wait. Very interesting seeing just how far insurance repairs went on this and that no matter how much less it first appeared, it certainly and unexpectedly resulted in much much much more in this case. Wow. Other than the obvious huge uplift for today, it has been on the mind on how Paul has otherwise been doing? 👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
Thanks you all for your kind words...... Albeit I know my way around cars, I shall be picking up the Corvette with an 'expert' on car values, workmanship, accelerated depreciation and so forth. He will do a thorough inspection prior to leaving the bodyshop and note any visible points of concerns and if any discuss with bodyshop. After 2 mos of me driving the vehicle he will then take the car (with me) and drive it for an hour or two to get his take on how the car feels. Any concerns he will put it in print and go back to the body shop as they are responsible for parts and workmanship for 12 mos. He will then provide me with a court ready and acceptable depreciation report for me to deal with ICBC. In BC they dont acknowledge accelerated depreciation albeit we know that it is real. He is 1 of only 2 people that I found that the courts and ICBC accept his reports. Yes my car is back today, but I leave for Cinque Terre and Greece on Sat morning. Im sure I will be doing some driving in the rain when I return to get a feel for the car and to determine if rattles and squeaks are alive and well and living in my car....... journey is still not over, I hope the paint 'blend' is good.......

I hope your paint works out as nicely as mine did ... as the Long Beach Red appeared much "deeper" to me.
I was "blessed" with all but the hatch being refinished though. I will admit it is hard to judge if my opinion would be the same if it wasn't refinished from nose to tail along the sides as the hatch adjoins other parts with it more difficult to tell.
After 6000km+ this Summer, she has a few road blemishes again ... so no big deal as I'm not interested in keeping
it pristine for the next owner as I know I may not get what I would like with a $10k paint repair in her history.

Interesting on the depreciation court challenge ... I do hope that works out for you too ... Best of Good Fortune

Last edited:
Needless to say, after over 4 mos downtime (not all the dealers fault as parts were taking for ever) with no car I was hoping that picking it up from the dealerships bodyshop would be a happy occasion.... not. Car was sitting in a nicely lit, huge indoor area and it looked great as my wife and I were walking towards it... then it became a 5 footer car. First thing I noticed was a 3/4" chip in the front spoiler, then I notice that the sloping part of the rear hatch (on both sides) that but up alongside the rear 1/4 panels (by the rear top air vents area) is sitting almost 1/4" above the 1/4 panels. And, there were also a few areas on the car that definitely needed a good cut polish obviously due to slight rub/scuff marks from the mechanics/bodymen who worked on it. Also, the passenger side side skirt was slightly damaged. I was not a happy camper, my wife actually teared up. Thankfully, I had taken a ton of pictures of the car while at the tow yard and there was not a mark or blemish on any of the areas that were affected. I cant believe that a thorough walk around was not done. I was certainly upset and let them all know but kept my cool as much as possible until such time as all will be rectified. I am really glad that I hired a professional (Gary Diamond) to look after the inspection and prep an accelerated depreciation report for me as he provided a good buffer between 'them' and I. Turns out they all knew him as he has done similar work for others. Not to sure the bodyshop is overly thrilled to see his presence at pick up time. At the end of the day, car is home and will go back upon my return. All flaws noted by the G.M. and will be rectified. This really left a sour taste in my mouth, but after getting the G.M. involved, and he was not happy either, I do truly hope that all the faults get addressed properly second time around as individually, they are all relatively minor issues. Anyway, drove car home in pissing rain. But there are 2 good things.... no squeaks or rattles anywhere, and paint looked great. To be continued........ :Rage:

Well that’s not what you wanted to see Paul. Very smart getting Gary involved to protect your interests in this. Glad it runs good and isn’t rattling at least.
Let’s hope they correct all this for you properly and the nightmare soon ends.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
D

Reactions: YFCvii
😡🔥🤨
I am upset with you both.
So tired of make-good instead of make-excellent efforts at some businesses.
Regardless of monetary value involved. It's workers not caring in their livelihood (it's just a paycheque)
and true, some employers create this environment. All of the people involved in your repair have set your tone and for that alone, they have tremendously failed. Sadly it appears that only the GM appears to "care". Argh!

Interesting the GM states not being happy and that should become a good thing.
The opportunity can present itself now on your next delivery/pickup,
to first chat with the GM and ask if he/she has looked YOUR Corvette over and found it to his/her satisfaction.
The trip back to pick it up should go a lot better as a result.

Happy to see you have this opportunity to drive your Corvette again after such long patience.
Thanks for sharing your update ... wishing it was a much better outcome for you both.

Last edited:
Very frustrating when people are not careful working on a customers car, especially a high dollar car. Personally I think a lot of times its just a lack of care and respect. Shame on the G.M. for not taking pictures and doing a walk around before work was started. And also to let the employees know that they are working on a 100.000 car just in case they are to dumb to see that.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
WOW ... how did I miss all of this!!! Sorry to here about all your recent issues Paul. You know a lot of times it isn't totally the fault of the shop. ICBC says fix it, here's what we are giving you and not a penny more. Any monies assumed after this amount are the responsibility of the shop. So the shop has to cut corners knowing very few customers do a thorough investigation as yourself. I had a hit & run done on my 85 which cracked the rear passenger quarter panel. When I went to pick up my vehicle you could still see extensive marks in the fiberglass they had repaired and this was at a GM Dealership repair shop!!! They did a cheap fix to appease ICBC. ICBC needs to go. Hoping all is fixed to your liking.

Man its been a looong time since I posted anything on the forum. Been to Europe and pretty busy lately but things are getting back to normal and will be getting back to retired life. As for the car, when I picked it up for the second time, all the little nagging things that they should have noticed and done right the first time were perfect. Now I can say that the car looks like a brand new car. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to drive the car much and three weeks ago I parked it for winter, but, on the occasions that I did drive it, and I pushed it around a few curves :), it handled perfectly and no rattling anywhere. I also settled with ICBC for accelerated depreciation, in all honesty I was geared up for a fight - which never occurred. Their A.D. expert reviewed the report that I had prepared by a well known expert in the field, (which ICBC also uses for when they need an opinion), and voila we settled for an amount that I am extremely happy with! Now looking forward to next year and putting some miles on it... I bought the car new in Oct of 2017 and I only have 3100kms on it. I think I will keep it for a couple of years, wait and see what the C8 looks like and what the first year review on the car is.... then perhaps purchase year two and hope that all the bugs are worked out.

Hello Paul. I am glad to hear that everything got resolved for you and your C7. You certainly have alot of patience and tolerance my friend. Looking forward to a cruise with you and the BC boys next year. Cheers!
As am I Turbozig.....In the end it all worked out and I truly am happy with the results. I had to make a choice.... let the East End Italian in me come out or grit my teeth and hope for the best..... My wife says you catch more bees with honey.... certainly worked with ICBC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread