Casual User
Mar 15, 2018
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
1971 Corvette
Province
AB
I bought a used 1971 hood to put on my corvette. I also bought a new 1971 hood support to pair with the hood, but the support appears to be too long. When I bolt the support in place and try to lift the hood up, the support isn't able to extend all the way to lock so the hood doesn't stay up. I think the holes in my hood are not the correct distance for a 71 hood, so I'm having trouble figuring out which hood support to use with it. From my understanding, there are three different hood supports I can try: 68 hood support, 69-71 hood support, and 72-73 early hood support. Does anyone know the length of the extension for the 68 hood support and 72-73 early hood support? I need a support that has an extension length less than 15 inches.
IMG_20210621_111818.jpg

I have also measured the distance from the top of the hood to the bolt holes (roughly 14 inches). If anyone has a hood with a similar distance, could you let me know which hood support you're using?
IMG_20210617_105331.jpg

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Prab

These are off my April 1971 build date on my 71. I took the hood and support off and everything worked as it should. You will see in the pictures the support looks to be the same as yours but the bolt holes on the hood for the support are a much wider distance. Somewhere back in time there was work done on the front end so I can’t be 101% sure this is the original hood.

0B322EE6-4197-4EBA-A72D-6DAEC1E510D1.jpeg

99D74148-EE4E-49FC-91E1-A4718911219C.jpeg

Reactions: Prab
I bought a used 1971 hood to put on my corvette. I also bought a new 1971 hood support to pair with the hood, but the support appears to be too long. When I bolt the support in place and try to lift the hood up, the support isn't able to extend all the way to lock so the hood doesn't stay up. I think the holes in my hood are not the correct distance for a 71 hood, so I'm having trouble figuring out which hood support to use with it. From my understanding, there are three different hood supports I can try: 68 hood support, 69-71 hood support, and 72-73 early hood support. Does anyone know the length of the extension for the 68 hood support and 72-73 early hood support? I need a support that has an extension length less than 15 inches.
View attachment 83330
I have also measured the distance from the top of the hood to the bolt holes (roughly 14 inches). If anyone has a hood with a similar distance, could you let me know which hood support you're using?
View attachment 83329

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Prab
My 73 has the same 14" from front of hood to bracket....

These are off my April 1971 build date on my 71. I took the hood and support off and everything worked as it should. You will see in the pictures the support looks to be the same as yours but the bolt holes on the hood for the support are a much wider distance. Somewhere back in time there was work done on the front end so I can’t be 101% sure this is the original hood.

View attachment 83512

View attachment 83513
Hi,
Thank you for sending the picture Norm07, that really helped to clarify a few things.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.