This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

High Beams

They get rid of the pop up headlights to simplify things and make the cars cheaper to build. They then complicate the lights themselves. Just give me a simple version of the Corvette without all the gizmos that just complicate things. All the options and accessories on these cars are amazing and do spoil us......while they are working. An old friend of mine worked in Oshawa at GM. When dealers were totally befuddled, the cars came to his crew. When he sees our Corvette, he just gives it a worried look and shakes his head. He's sorted out more than his share and really doesn't want one at all. Too complicated and too many things can and do go wrong. It's something that haunts me too.

To me, aerodynamics and aesthetics was their reason for eliminating popups which were troublesome and complicated.

You may have your simple version -- I'm all in favour of progress thank you.

Thankfully there are many like me who will take a chance on something new so that GM still has a market for these fine cars.

Your friend should talk to someone like Manny who knows a thing or 2 about these modern cars and isn't stuck in the stoneage with their thinking.

Not sure about the other generations, but the C3 system really was quite simple once you see a schematic.

But, I agree Colin that I would not want to go back to sealed beam lights. One reason I don't drive the old shark at night very much.

Not sure about the other generations, but the C3 system really was quite simple once you see a schematic.

But, I agree Colin that I would not want to go back to sealed beam lights. One reason I don't drive the old shark at night very much.

Sure Greg, pupups aren't that complicated and one doesn't need a degree to figure them out, I'm sure -- but they have been troublesome just like any other system has been and to me at least that would be a good enough reason to go with fixed headlights. At least with a fixed headlight malfunction you won't be left in the dark because they won't pup up.

Sealed beams, quartzs and HID's is another subject entirely-- and it's amazing the progress that's happened there. (thank God. -- driving with sealed beams is like driving around in the dark)

.......and nobody expects them to be everything to everyone Wayne.
You guys with your popups enjoy them please as much as we with fixed h/light do.

Back on Topic?

Well, as someone on both sides of the fence here, I like the pop-ups for their uniqueness. However, as my car is getting older and I wanted more light output, the choices were to install better lights into my existing system or go with a totally new design and eliminate the potential of the pop-ups not popping. I went with the new design to be a little different and to make sure when I want lights, I got them. I really like that I can have my lights on and I don't affect the aerodynamics of the car. However, I really like the look of the original system with the headlights down too, so it was a compromise.

My guess is that GM went with fixed headlights to save weight, reduce cost, reduce complexity, and increase reliability. I love the look of both systems!

I guess I'm still on both sides of the fence!

I finally drove my car tonight. First time this year.

I tried the high beams and I have high beams. They are a different beam/color then the low. My car is a US car with the DRL conversion done.

Did you figure your issue out? If not I would guess it is in how things were wired.

Brian

After checking all of the various circuits and finding everything good at the dealership, we checked the bulbs in the high beams and also the fog lights since they were out too. We were absolutely amazed that it turns out that all 4 bulbs were burned out! Once new ones were installed, all is good and have had no problems since. Thx. Brian for getting back to me. Nothing to do with the DRl's.

That is absolutely insane!!!!! What are the chances that all four bulbs would be burnt out!? Glad you got it figured out and it wasn't anything too drastic!!!