Apr 3, 2024
VetteCoins
Car
22’ C8 Corvette 2LT
Province
NB
{RantStart}

Ok so real world problem …. Which apparently GM didn’t think through

I want to (will) remove my ECM from my 2022, which is directly in the center of my car, and accessible from underneath only. So, need a hoist/pit to get at it.

Now, need to disconnect the battery of course first, to remove the ECM. So up on hoist, 15 minutes to remove ECM … no biggie.

Now, I need to overnight the ECM to be unlocked so I can then Get it tuned with the boys at Paragon (we have a plan). Overnight to HP Tuners for unlocking, 1-2 days there, and overnight back. Let’s call it 4 days total. Then 15 minutes to reinstall the ECM upon return.

So now I’m up on a hoist, with a disabled C8. Great if i own the hoist. It can sit in peace and wait. But I don’t own one ….

I cannot find anyone that will “rent” or loan me a hoist for 4 days for my car to sit while I await the ECM to return.

It needs to sit on the hoist, as you CANNOT put a C8 in neutral when there is no battery power, which would allow me to lower it and push it into a corner or something. I have offers to use hoists all over town, as long as I can push the car into a corner while in await the ECM return.

Yes, apparently there is a tool you can buy to put the car in neutral with no power (behind the air filter in the trunk, on the engine , blah blah blah) … but it’s expensive and a pain in the ass to do. Not worth it in this case.

Really ridiculous that a C8 with either no or dead battery cannot be moved.

Yeah I have a Quickjack, but I’m not risking my life under the car for any period of time. The tunnel has a gazillion bolts to remove all dead center of car. You have to be under it to do this. Period.

Something so simple, GM made difficult

{/RantOver}

David, can you locate 4 wheel dollies to lower the car onto and then roll it into a corner if you are using a lift that puts the supports where the lifting pucks are?
I have seen this method used by GM mechanics if you don't want to tear apart the trunk or have the tool to shift the transmission into neutral.

Yeah seems like the path of least resistance. Had been pondering a set anyhow. Ordered 4 this morning.

Still, what a dumb thing for GM to do …..
Did you give any thought to this being a security issue? If stolen, in order to deactivate OnStar tracking, thief's would cut or disconnect the battery.
If the car cannot move when this occurs, maybe someone thought it would be beneficial?

Did you give any thought to this being a security issue? If stolen, in order to deactivate OnStar tracking, thief's would cut or disconnect the battery.
If the car cannot move when this occurs, maybe someone thought it would be beneficial?
Mr. Corvette, you beat me to it.
Another reason why our cars on the top ten list of LEAST stolen cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette
FWIW, this is common to almost all DCTs on the market, including half-million dollar Ferraris an Lambos.
Yep my BMW X3 can't be put into neutral without the engine running.
For those needing to do something like this in the future, there are several procedures you can find on the internet that leave the car in neutral with the engine off. Most of them involve going out the passenger window or not closing the drivers door. Perhaps disconnecting the battery at just the right time would leave the tranny in neutral? I haven't seen that tried yet.

Yep my BMW X3 can't be put into neutral without the engine running.
For those needing to do something like this in the future, there are several procedures you can find on the internet that leave the car in neutral with the engine off. Most of them involve going out the passenger window or not closing the drivers door. Perhaps disconnecting the battery at just the right time would leave the tranny in neutral? I haven't seen that tried yet.
There are instructions in the Owner's Manual for shutting off the car and leaving it in neutral. It's amazing what's in there,