Oct 16, 2022
VetteCoins
Province
ON
I have been driving around without a front licence plate, as I did not want to put on the ugly licence plate holder the dealer supplied. It didn't fit properly anyway.
I decided to try and modify my licence plate. I took off the stock plastic insert for the plate holder. I bent the plate to the same angle as the front end.
I had to drill two hole for the mounting screws.
I purchase a flexible silicone licence plate frame from Canadian tire. It went around the bent licence plate perfectly.
It fits perfectly inside, and looks like it was meant to be that way.

Attachments

• 20240511_101500.jpg
    20240511_101500.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_092809.jpg
    20240504_092809.jpg
    846.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240511_101506.jpg
    20240511_101506.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 0
I have been driving around without a front licence plate, as I did not want to put on the ugly licence plate holder the dealer supplied. It didn't fit properly anyway.
I decided to try and modify my licence plate. I took off the stock plastic insert for the plate holder. I bent the plate to the same angle as the front end.
I had to drill two hole for the mounting screws.
I purchase a flexible silicone licence plate frame from Canadian tire. It went around the bent licence plate perfectly.
It fits perfectly inside, and looks like it was meant to be that way.
That's exactly what I did, except I used their smoked lens cover

Reactions: Vettenut and Tom-B
No idea why people don't use standoffs instead of bending the plate!

One can also use the screw holes that exist to mount your own back plate.

View attachment 123974

You have sold exactly zero "Murray's Standoffs Bread Board Conversion Units", correct?

No front plate on my Mustang Cobra which I drove in the summer for twenty years, pulled over twice for no front plate, but not fined and not requested to put one on. Same with my Corvette since 2019, summers only and I refuse to put on a front plate. Got pulled over last summer apparently for noise during quick acceleration by a blacked out black Dodge Ram full size truck. The cop knew cars as he told me to move my engine sound to a lower setting, I had it on track mode. He then noted that I didn’t have a front plate and proceeded to tell me that it was required under the Highway Safety Traffic Act to which I replied, I know but it ruins the look of the car. He did not tell me to put it on, he did not fine me and only requested that I keep my exhaust note down.

However now that we have license plate readers at entrances entering our city as well as the new proposed speed cameras apparently coming I wonder if I’m going to now be forced to wear a front plate.

Reactions: Tom-B
However now that we have license plate readers at entrances entering our city as well as the new proposed speed cameras apparently coming I wonder if I’m going to now be forced to wear a front plate.
OPP (sometimes) enforce it on the 407 so the local leos will likely start enforcing it soon. We had 2 speed cameras in Uxbridge. One kept getting pushed over and they got the hint and never reinstalled it! lol

Many have done this mod with their front plate. I prefer this front plate solution to most other out there I did it on MY ‘23 C8 ….with my current ‘24 I am not running a front plate. It’s required in BC but I am seeing how long it takes to get pulled over and the resulting consequences if any.
I believe it’s also not permitted to alter the plate so technically this bending solution could result in penalties as well if stopped.

Reactions: Tom-B
Many have done this mod with their front plate. I prefer this front plate solution to most other out there I did it on MY ‘23 C8 ….with my current ‘24 I am not running a front plate. It’s required in BC but I am seeing how long it takes to get pulled over and the resulting consequences if any.
I believe it’s also not permitted to alter the plate so technically this bending solution could result in penalties as well if stopped.
I would just say “ I put it on straight; but, at 160kph it bends on its own.”

OPP (sometimes) enforce it on the 407 so the local leos will likely start enforcing it soon. We had 2 speed cameras in Uxbridge. One kept getting pushed over and they got the hint and never reinstalled it! lol
I’m in the Soo……Sudbury has them but they keep getting vandalized…….I wonder why!

Our city council wants the speed cameras despite Sudbury’s problem, despite a $1,500,000 annual cost to the tax payer and they portray the speed cameras as promoting improved road safety. I wrote our city councillors and mayor, questioning their source data to support speed related safety issues within the city and accused them of hiding behind safety when it was simply a cash grab. They estimate it would triple the existing number of annual speeding tickets but also acknowledged that they would need to develop/contract out a secondary administrative division and judiciary as the current POA could not handle the increase in tickets. I also questioned whether speeding within the city was an epidemic and danger as they claimed because there hasn’t been any media articles to support their theory……..as well speeding is a legislated policing responsibility not a municipal government one!

Here in my neck of the woods ... random people walk by and slap stickers on the lens ...