What did you use to remove the glue? I've heard of 3M Adhesive Remover and Goo Gone....six hours eh? That will be about 24 beers I reckon (with help). Ohh, and say I end up liking the bsms on the car, are they destroyed when you remove them?

I'm sure if you are super careful when removing them you can save them. In my case we weren't careful and put a kink in them when removing, so they couldn't be reused.

For the most part, removing the glue was just done by slowing rolling it off the paint with our thumbs. That's what took so long, as you had to do it a little bit at a time since it was so thick. I'm not sure what the guy used at the end to get rid of the last little bit of adhesive. Since he had a detail shop, he had a few different chemicals at his disposal, I remember he used a few different things, then at the end he went over it with a buffer.

Protection the BSM offers?

Heck! I rarely(more like never) leave my Vette out of sight when I take it out....I am sure you do the same... hence, you do not need them.

I'd agree with you except for the fact that I do several long road trips a year like Bloomington Gold and Carlisle in the Vette and you can't avoid having to park it at hotels and restaurants.

What did you use to remove the glue? I've heard of 3M Adhesive Remover and Goo Gone....six hours eh? That will be about 24 beers I reckon (with help). Ohh, and say I end up liking the bsms on the car, are they destroyed when you remove them?

Took mine off using fishing line and hot air gun - cleaned off residue with goo gone and a clay bar. Took only a couple of hours.
If you're careful not to dig into the BSMs with the fishing line, they can be reattached no problem.
Warning: if your car was repainted (as mine was) with the BSMs on, you will have a situation on your hands - the underlying surface will be visible...

Very true. I've heard about that and can't say for sure if it was repainted or not. I don't think pewter is bad for leaving a 'shadow', so I should be good. According to the original owner, the car should be perfect. I'm sure no one's ever said that before....ah, I feel sick thinking about how long it's going to be until spring is here and I get to take the car out. BOOOOO winter.

How did you fix your "situation"?

I agree.....ah, crap. I like the cars with the moldings, and without. Maybe I will take them off a friends car first when they are not looking, just to see if I like it before I take mine off.:D

personally if my car had BSM's I would have ripped them off before I even brought the car home :eek: I prefer that naked look on the car.

NO WAY! I've never heard of that. Was it a delete option?

GM's initial plan with the FRC was to make an inexpensive, no frills Corvette and offer it to the buying public. When it was all said and done it was only $400.00 to $500.00 dollars less than a similar equipped coupe - so why bother? Executives at GM didn't want to necessary "cheapen" the Corvette name during this process either.

GM had already produced the car so now what? What they wound up with was a stripped down version, which was lighter and had more rigidity than a regular coupe. They decided in 2001 to turn the car into what we know today as the Z06. Why?

There was indication that the Corvette buyers actually wanted more performance, not less. Evidence of this was in the emerging aftermarket performance industry. Dave Hill and his engineers couldn't resist making a meaner, faster car that would cater specifically to these consumers.
That's the Coles notes version of the FRC's:D

I had mine removed this winter using very high heat....mostly a direct flame ........to soften the glue holding them on:(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.