Ddigg

Casual User
Oct 1, 2014
Montreal
VetteCoins
Car
None
Hi All,

I just finished my first lapping session @ ICAR ( Mirabel) tonight. The car performed flawlessly, many times compensating for my shortcomings as a driver.

I was in Track mode with Sport 2 / Race traction control setup. Often coming out of the corners I could feel the car cut power to keep me from sliding out ( thanks!).

As it was the first time, I was obliged to follow a pace car. The way that worked: if you were falling behind he would slow down, else if you were on him he would speed up. I guess I did ok, after a few laps he had to pit due to his car overheating :) - I kept on solo after that.

As I've just been through the process, feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

Top Speed: 169 km/h
Fastest Lap: 2:03:695
Fun: 10/10

Reactions: smackYYZ
Hi All,

I just finished my first lapping session @ ICAR ( Mirabel) tonight. The car performed flawlessly, many times compensating for my shortcomings as a driver.

I was in Track mode with Sport 2 / Race traction control setup. Often coming out of the corners I could feel the car cut power to keep me from sliding out ( thanks!).

As it was the first time, I was obliged to follow a pace car. The way that worked: if you were falling behind he would slow down, else if you were on him he would speed up. I guess I did ok, after a few laps he had to pit due to his car overheating :) - I kept on solo after that.

As I've just been through the process, feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

Top Speed: 169 km/h
Fastest Lap: 2:03:695
Fun: 10/10

Hi thanks for the report and the offer! :)

Question: did you track prep your car, and if so what did you do?

Thanks!

Sounds like a good time. Were you happy with the cars performance? Were you happy with your performance? Interested if you could see places where you could do things different to challenge yourself to go a little quicker.

Great write up and have fun.

@Rodmo - I kept the prep simple, as I wanted something drive-able after the track. I changed the engine oil to 15-50 Mobile 1 and the brake fluid to dot 4 as per the track prep sheet.

@Black 03 Z06 - Definitely happy with the car's performance. An RS7 there for the same session left early because the owner felt he was "being too hard on the car". I had no such feeling. I really felt that the car had a lot more to give ( than what I was asking). On the topic of my performance, I have a lot of room to improve. This was my first time on the track - between learning the track, managing the gears ( I have an M7), keeping an eye out for the cars around me - there was a lot to keep track of. I was using the iPhone app "Track Addict" to monitor my times, after reviewing my laps earlier today its clear there are many corners I could improve on. For example, during my second best lap, I was ahead of my best lap for most of it until I messed up the last corner. time will tell, but I expect I can trim 5+ seconds off my time.

Another good write up Ddigg.

I think that would be the greatest thing to constantly challenge yourself to find the "perfect" lap if there is indeed such a thing. There are just so many variables in racing. Will you have the opportunity to run this course again? If so it will be interesting to see your performance gains based on your accumulated knowledge of the car and driving style.

Great that you are getting out and enjoying that car.

So I went back again tonight - best time 1:54.516 !
This is the first time I've seen the tire temperature gauge on the dash read "Hot", otherwise the car performed really well once again. There was another C7 there ( red w/ black racing stripe down the centre), I didn't see the owner, and it didn't lap while I was there.

Why would you run 15W 50 in a stock engine?

Your oil pressure must have been sky high, and you are losing horsepower,

Stick with the recommended oils your car was designed for.

I wonder if they need the thicker oil because of the higher temperatures while tracking the car? Although I agree with what BF and Keith have to say, I would stick with what GM recommends.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.