Sep 16, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 Z51 Vert
Province
ON
Hey Guys, are any of you experiencing the brake rotors rusting after washing the car? I washed the C8 a month ago on a rainy day and when the wife went to drive it a few days later the wheels were locked up. Rocking the car back and forth she got them to break free. A couple of days ago I washed it again on a crappy day, this time using the blower to dry the wheels. The next day when I looked the rotors had rust on them. They were not seized like the first time but you did feel and hear them break away from the pads. Usually I would take the car for a quick drive to heat them up after washing the car, but not possible when crappy weather. Does anyone have a solution or product to spray on the rotors after a wash?

Hey Guys, are any of you experiencing the brake rotors rusting after washing the car? I washed the C8 a month ago on a rainy day and when the wife went to drive it a few days later the wheels were locked up. Rocking the car back and forth she got them to break free. A couple of days ago I washed it again on a crappy day, this time using the blower to dry the wheels. The next day when I looked the rotors had rust on them. They were not seized like the first time but you did feel and hear them break away from the pads. Usually I would take the car for a quick drive to heat them up after washing the car, but not possible when crappy weather. Does anyone have a solution or product to spray on the rotors after a wash?
They are steel and will rust. Never a concern unless you park it for a month with wet rotors.
Just make sure you let them dry before parking the car.
Don't wash the car in crappy weather either! That's what the nice days are for! ;)

Reactions: 1st Vette
I've never found a leaf blower to be much use against anything but leaves! LOL.
They are great for clearing light dry snow off walks and your vehicle. It’s so damn cold here in the winter we never get wet snow but frequently get an inch or two of dry. Just enough to be annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
I usually go for a short ride after washing because no matter how many leaf blowers or towels you use there is water hiding somewhere and driving exposes tht water so you can quickly dry again. You will also heat up the brakes, engine and exhaust so no water there.

Normal , had it to various degrees after washing (or rain) on most my cars through years. Haven’t noticed it overly on the C8 so far but only done 3 washes.

My 19 Mustang is terrible for that. A bit of water or moisture and the rotors look like crap until you brake once.

I have SB3 coating on the car and leaf blower works wonder to get it dry no streaks or water spots and to get water in panel gaps. Don’t have to worry either that your towel leaves swirls or dirt because you didn’t wash it after each use.

They are steel and will rust. Never a concern unless you park it for a month with wet rotors.
Just make sure you let them dry before parking the car.
Don't wash the car in crappy weather either! That's what the nice days are for! ;)
I spray mine down with WD40. Sheds the water right off and by the time I get home I have brakes again... ;)

Consider Installing ceramic rotars! They are only $20,000 to replace when needed but no rust ... lol

Auto Air Blower I use a detailer air blower to remove all water from rims all around brake assembly and the rotors as well. Performs flawlessly, I also use it for the entire car. For those who believe in Ceramic Coating ... it means no chamois, no wipe period and no water marks at all. So easy once you get everything set up, takes an hour and a bit to wash, blower dry and then I cover , done, till next time I take car out ... lol

I bought a Air Force® Master Blaster® - Dry Your Car/Motorcycle | MetroVac years ago to use when washing/detailing the car. Dries the car quickly but not always quick enough to avoid a bit of rust build up on the rotors. One of the best tools I have ever bought for the garage and cars.

@Cannonball Rally I have not seen that unit before so thanks for posting up the information and your thoughts on it. I thought you could only buy shoes in Bobcaygeon!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.