Featured Thread
Jun 9, 2015
pickering
VetteCoins
Car
C8 2lt HTC
Province
ON
After 6 months of waiting , I got the call with the last allocation from my dealer(Durham region) last week ( dealer says there are 10 guys in line behind me). The order went in today.
I might even see it early summer.
Corvette 2lt, convertible , GT2 seats, Natural interior, Perform exhaust. Paid MSRP.
I kept it under $94k as I`m worried that Feds will keep their promise to charge a `luxury tax` of 10% on cars over $100k this March. We`ll see.
We could also see a speculation price increase of $5k- $10k for 2021. GM has kept the 2020 model year short. as to justify a price increase for the 2021.
I`ll take a early 2021 for the 2020 price. If not, I`ll walk away . That was the deal.

After 6 months of waiting , I got the call with the last allocation from my dealer(Durham region) last week ( dealer says there are 10 guys in line behind me). The order went in today.
Corvette 2lt, convertible , GT2 seats, Natural interior, Perform exhaust. Paid MSRP.
I kept it under $94k as I`m worried that Feds will keep their promise to charge a `luxury tax` of 10% on cars over $100k this March. We`ll see.
We could also see a speculation price increase of $5k- $10k for 2021. GM has kept the 2020 model year short. as to justify a price increase for the 2021.
I`ll take a early 2021 for the 2020 price. If not, I`ll walk away . That was the deal.
Congrats. Still waiting for the call for my convertible. I never heard about that luxury tax thing. Would that mean they would tax the whole car at 10% or just what is above $100,000 ? Mines at $110,000 pretty much loaded up. Not sure I could knock off 10 and still be happy. Jesus we are already taxed at 13% on everything you buy except groceries. That will be next.

Excerpt from the article:
If I were a BC luxury car dealer I'd be considering a career change as this tax will be possibly cumulative. Meaning you'll be paying upward of 25% VAT (GST+BC Luxury+Fed Luxury) on a 150k+ purchase. Dutch levels of car taxation without many of the benefits. I think GM dealers will be fine though.

• Agree
Reactions: ABC and Rruuff Day
If I were a BC luxury car dealer I'd be considering a career change as this tax will be possibly cumulative. Meaning you'll be paying upward of 25% VAT (GST+BC Luxury+Fed Luxury) on a 150k+ purchase. Dutch levels of car taxation without many of the benefits. I think GM dealers will be fine though.
Thanks Nik for the Coles note version, GM no need to send ZR1's to B.C

Actually the BC luxury tax starts adding on to the ever present 15% with a $ 55,000.00 car... and goes up from there to a whooping total 26% at $150,000... Compounding by charging a tax on a tax somehow doesn't sit well with many either...

Boy. If I was considering moving out west right now (hint, hint, hint), and was overdue for a sports car ;) , and didn't have to rely on the oil industry to survive, Alberta would be my choice... 5% tax, no ICBC, and a government that may not be perfect (if there is such a thing), but at least has no bones about fighting federal BS..... JMHO

Congrats. Still waiting for the call for my convertible. I never heard about that luxury tax thing. Would that mean they would tax the whole car at 10% or just what is above $100,000 ? Mines at $110,000 pretty much loaded up. Not sure I could knock off 10 and still be happy. Jesus we are already taxed at 13% on everything you buy except groceries. That will be next.

tax on whole car . you would pay 10% of $110k. I suggest you do a google on this. This is a proposed tax by Trudeau govt during election.
We`ll have to wait till March budget comes in.

• Angry
Reactions: kerry4
tax on whole car . you would pay 10% of $110k. I suggest you do a google on this. This is a proposed tax by Trudeau govt during election.
We`ll have to wait till March budget comes in.
I know I wont be getting my car till way after March. If that happens it would really piss me off. Trudeau gets enough of my money all year round. Hoping they don't do that but if they do I will be changing my order to a coupe.instead of a vert. That will drop it under 100K.

Congrats!! We pay 15% total tax and more as the price goes up.

Actually the BC luxury tax starts adding on to the ever present 15% with a $ 55,000.00 car... and goes up from there to a whooping total 26% at $150,000... Compounding by charging a tax on a tax somehow doesn't sit well with many either...

Boy. If I was considering moving out west right now (hint, hint, hint), and was overdue for a sports car ;) , and didn't have to rely on the oil industry to survive, Alberta would be my choice... 5% tax, no ICBC, and a government that may not be perfect (if there is such a thing), but at least has no bones about fighting federal BS..... JMHO
The pay is much better in AB as well. My youngest has BASc. (mech. eng.) from UBC - soon be eligible for P.Eng. - can make $125 to $150K in AB; but, does not want to go there. Working in Holland right now. B.C. pays terrible because they can.

The pay is much better in AB as well. My youngest has BASc. (mech. eng.) from UBC - soon be eligible for P.Eng. - can make $125 to $150K in AB; but, does not want to go there. Working in Holland right now. B.C. pays terrible because they can.

Depending on what he wants to pursue, and how patient he is to start and learn for several years, he can expect 150 to 180 later on if he wants to look into AB petrochemical plants... Civil here is more in the 150 to 160 range. But money is second to loving your job. I have only had three jobs and loved them all. Not sure I could work in a job I didn't like.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.