It would be interesting to determine what portion of failures occur in year 4-7. Considering the coverage is basically manufacturing defects my guess would be most are discovered in first 3 years. That seems to be the case with reading posts on the C7 forums and the cases here with transmission and electrical problems. On the other hand if a low use C8 the extended warranty may actually be worth it since initial issues may not be discovered.

Reactions: Rebby
Extended warranties should never be considered as worthwhile on the surface. It should be considered as insurance. Insurance is there to protect against the ultimate disaster. If your net worth is such that you can't spend the money you make then you can afford a disaster. Another attack is to invest the $3000.00 in a relatively safe investment instead. If disaster never happens then you have made money. If disaster happens then you have the money to pay to repair / replace whatever was warranted. The trouble is most of us spend that $3k on other things and when / if, disaster happens we are stuck. I'd prefer to take the insurance so that Murphy's laws are avoided

I reside in Alberta and purchased the GM extended warranty for my 2019 C7 convertible. 84 months / 100000 kms / $200 deductible / $1834. This was the best package for a seasonal vehicle; extended warranty time made more sense than additional mileage. I was offered a better warranty price from the dealership when purchased with the new vehicle. Hope this helps.

My car will be 3 years old in August. I started looking around for extended warranty here in London, On. So far I have 2 quotes for 7 year 60k km and $100 deductible for the GM plan Total Plus, both around $3800. I will keep on calling around different dealers in the area to see if anyone comes in with a better offer. Hoping to find someone around the $2500 price range.
BTW, several folks here bargained for a better deal. You can always make them an offer and see what they say. I paid 3k from Brian Cullen I'm sure it hasn't gone up that much so offer whomever, 2500. You can't lose by asking.

And don't fall for the old "If you don't use the warranty, you get a bunch of money back at the end" If your car ever goes in for anything warranty, even in the first 3/5 year warranty, it counts as a warranty claim and any refund is gone. Also gone if you use the roadside service.

I bought it , first time ever, buying an extended warranty. 2750$ taxes included. My dad used to say if you have , no problems the first year , you will not have any issues later on. He was right for my first 49 vehicles but with all this tech in this car , I decided not to take a chance. You can call other dealerships , to see if you can get a better price. I did. I bought it almost at delivery because as time goes by, years, the price goes up.

What was your 48th car? 56 Bel Air?
48TH , C7 2016 Vette. 45th, Mustang GT, 46TH, Mustang GT, 47TH, Mustang GT, 49TH, C7 2017 Vette. I owned a Jeep for 3 weeks between the 2 Vettes. I was bored during Covid , so I did a lot of shopping , for cars.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
So what you are saying is when you come out of the grocery store with your buggy full of goodies and look at the parking lot, you have know idea what car you are looking for and hope you brought the one with the most square litres of storage...

First time Corvette buyer (well as soon as my dealer gets his next allocation I will be 🤤). Wondering what the consensus is on buying an extended warranty? I winter store my vehicles and the last two cars I bought extended warranties for saw them run out time-wise before I ever got close to the mileage limits. I averaged about 9,000-10,000 kms yearly. Yay or nay? Thanks.
2020 HTC, I went with an extra 2 years at $1800. My other Vettes have all utilized the extra warranty and at least paid for themselves. Having said this, no warranty issues since new so far. Happy motoring.

Reactions: Bunny hop
Extended warranties should never be considered as worthwhile on the surface. It should be considered as insurance. Insurance is there to protect against the ultimate disaster. If your net worth is such that you can't spend the money you make then you can afford a disaster. Another attack is to invest the $3000.00 in a relatively safe investment instead. If disaster never happens then you have made money. If disaster happens then you have the money to pay to repair / replace whatever was warranted. The trouble is most of us spend that $3k on other things and when / if, disaster happens we are stuck. I'd prefer to take the insurance so that Murphy's laws are avoided
Good idea except a C8 transmission is over $15k....

I would rather walk away from the $1500 unused extended warranty (I consider that a win) than be surprised with a $15k transmission surprise (I consider that a loss). One can be planned for and one cannot.

Good idea except a C8 transmission is over $15k....

I would rather walk away from the $1500 unused extended warranty (I consider that a win) than be surprised with a $15k transmission surprise (I consider that a loss). One can be planned for and one cannot.
That's why I opted for the insurance also. I just outlined the two options. I'm not filthy rich, just filthy. ;)