Jul 8, 2012
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
1997 C5
I'm planning to replace all the fluids in my c5 and figured now is a good time to start planning for that and start looking out for maybe some deals on fluids and other tools I will need.

Would you guys be able to help compile a list of all the fluids needed as well as recommendations for each one? Maybe we can compile a list as a point of reference for everyone?

As far as the usage of my car it's mainly a summer DD maybe a 70/30 split of city and highway driving, and maybe a couple track days.

Engine Oil - I know GM recommends Mobil1 and Manny recommends Pennzoil so I guess we have this one covered but what about the other fluids?
Transmission (I own a manual but if we're compiling a list I guess we should do one for auto as well?)
Diff
Brake
Clutch (use the same as the brakes?)
Power Steering
Coolant

For the sake of being comprehensive I'm also mentioning Fuel and Windshield Fluid, but I'm not really sure if there needs to be much, if any, discussion pertaining to these.

Any other fluids I missed? Thanks in advance for all the input!

Will let you know after I crawl from underneath the car. Probably won't be until next month though.Forgive me but I strayed to another forum where I read of many owners that changed to RP in their manual tranny and most felt a big difference towards a lot easier shifting afterwards.

I read the same information but having a 2000 with the paper blocking rings instead of the carbon fiber ones and all the conflicting information about not using synthetics or which synthetics are ok, but then not ok, then this guy says they're ok, left me just figuring I go with the factory stuff. When I have to rebuild my tranny into a TR6060, then I'll rip into they synthetics. My shifter may be a little knotchy but I'm used to it and like it. it keeps the girls out of the drivers seat that way.:D

Riley, finally I have the tranny oil changed to RP. Have only driven a few hundred kms. so far and have noticed maybe a 20% improvement in easier and smoother shifting. Hoping, maybe just maybe that the longer it is in there that it will get better, but that is doubtful. Too bad one can't buy liquid Teflon. But I also have the CAGS eliminator installed, now that makes it a joy to drive. No more getting left behind at the lights by an older VW Beetle anymore.

Nice to know about the better shifting! My results weren't so good. The fluid was 13 years old to the best of my knowledge but looked like brand new stuff when we dumped it. Shifting feel stayed the same.

Have the cags installed already then the HP Tuners turned off the light. Anyway, you can get the CAGS for your ZR1 from CC.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort~A2~cadefibH....well, that link sucks. Just type in CAGS in the desc box under item search on the topish left of the screen and it'll pop up. Should be about $20 or I am sure you could order one from Manny.

Thx. for your help. Why is it not really needed, simply because you shift at speeds higher than the lock out? Also, did you get the fuse model or the tranny model installed on the ZR1?
Terry

Thx. for your help. Why is it not really needed, simply because you shift at speeds higher than the lock out? Also, did you get the fuse model or the tranny model installed on the ZR1?
Terry

I can't remember what I read on some forums. Guys said the lockout happens less on the ZR1. I think in 500-1000 miles I only felt the lock out once on my ZR1... but I was driving down the oregon and Cali coast highways. From Seattle to LA it happened once... I got it installed because it was cheap.

I did the tranny module both times... WCC did it when they were doing some maintenance on each car. I guess you just unclip and slip the module in.

Corvette 6-Speed Skip Shift Eliminator : 1997-2013 C5,C6,Z06,ZR1,Grand Sport

Brian