At 11.5 an hour, 1.5 shifts seems generous.
I donated 25yrs to screwing vehicles together........just curious how someone comes to the "Day" their car was built?
Perhaps it is generous. But it's less than 2 shifts. It's all on Midengine forum as explained in one of the Museum bashes.
I tracked the car vins for about 3 years with daily production numbers gathered my Mark Reil on Facebook. It's now done by someone else on Facebook. So knowing vin X started the day and vin Y ended the day you can figure out approximately what hour your car was built.

This where it's at now. This fellow is still using the spreadsheet I gave him.

1682962691965.png

Perhaps it is generous. But it's less than 2 shifts. It's all on Midengine forum as explained in one of the Museum bashes.
I tracked the car vins for about 3 years with daily production numbers gathered my Mark Reil on Facebook. It's now done by someone else on Facebook. So knowing vin X started the day and vin Y ended the day you can figure out approximately what hour your car was built.

This where it's at now. This fellow is still using the spreadsheet I gave him.

View attachment 108619
That's just the Stingray numbers btw. There are others tracking the Z06 varieties etc.

Which day are we considering a unit "built"?
Is it the day is starts it's journey on the line, or the day it's driven off the line?
The vins are gathered from, I believe, Workbench as having been completed so I'd assume it was when it's driven off the line. Mark Reil had some sort of way or source providing him with daily production numbers by vin. He spoke of "Daily Production Reports".

At 11.5 an hour, 1.5 shifts seems generous.
I donated 25yrs to screwing vehicles together........just curious how someone comes to the "Day" their car was built?
The time to run a vehicle through the entire system would depend on how many vehicles are in the system. The first piece of sheetmetal being laid, then going through paint, and then through final assembly, and pre-delivery. Good question to ask someone at the plant.

The time to run a vehicle through the entire system would depend on how many vehicles are in the system. The first piece of sheetmetal being laid, then going through paint, and then through final assembly, and pre-delivery. Good question to ask someone at the plant.
Here are Kai's presentations form 2020. Good info.

Harlan Charles shared today during the National Corvette Museum's Corvette Team Seminar that previously built 2020 Corvettes plus already accepted dealer orders for 2020 Corvettes total 20,181 possible 2020 Corvettes. Assuming that the report of a November 2 model year change proves accurate, here's how we get to 20,000 2020 Corvettes.

Click image for larger version Name: 68C4D4E2-3B74-4B40-AC3E-4E403E8FE156.jpeg Views: 1956 Size: 99.0 KB ID: 150163
Production volume is 11.5 cars per hour. NOTE: This figure already accounts for down time. Additional explanation below.
For each 8 hour shift, 92 cars can be built.
Each shift can build 460 cars per week.
There are 22 weeks between now and November 2.
In 22 weeks, one shift can build 10,120 cars.
That leaves 7,000 cars for a second shift to complete, which would require the second shift running for 15 weeks.
The second shift only needs to start by July 20 in order for the 17,000 number to be achieved.
Assuming there are no further COVID-19 related disruptions, including supplier related disruptions, 20,000 2020 Corvettes definitely seems attainable.
Additional Production Volume Information

During the National Corvette Museum's Ambassador Convention on November 1, 2017, Plant Director, Kai Spande, provided the following production information after the 2017 plant retooling:
C7 daily production volume prior to retooling: 17.2 units per hour/137 per 8 hour shift
C7 takt time was approximately 3.5 minutes per station prior to retooling
C7 daily production volume after retooling: 11.6 units per hour/93 per 8 hour shift
Data source:

Daily production information was also provided during the National Corvette Museum's Birthday Bash on April 26, 2018.
C7 daily production volume averaged 116 cars during each 10-hour shift (the plant was on a 4 day/10 hours per day work week at the time)
It was noted that the pre-retooling production rate used to be roughly 17.5 cars per hour and was now 11.5 cars per hour. (11.5 cars per hour referenced at 20:38 in the video)
Data source:

During the NCM's 25th Anniversary Celebration, the following production information was provided on August 29, 2019.
The desired takt time is about 4.5 minutes per station.
2020 production should start at around 6 minutes takt time.
The benchmark rate for getting to full speed production is 6 to 7 weeks.
Data source: (starts with my question and Kai Spande's response at 35:21 in the video)

Finally, Kai Spande provided a plant update seminar during the NCM's Virtual Bash on May 28, 2020 and once again stated that takt time is 4.5 minutes per station.

While a target takt time of 4.5 minutes would result in an hourly production volume of 13.33 cars per hour (60/4.5=13.33), the 4.5 minute figure is the target so that the desired net production volume can be 11.5 or 11.6 cars per hour. The 11.5 or 11.6 figure accounts for down time and other interruptions. This goal translates to a net takt time of 5.2 minutes per car, providing the desired volume of 11.54 cars per hour.

After a new MY start up, the system would likely be running full.
Does BGA have a paint department? (only 1.5 shifts, start to finish)

After a new MY start up, the system would likely be running full.
Does BGA have a paint department? (only 1.5 shifts, start to finish)
1.5 shifts is for assy and does not include panel painting. The paint facility is new to the 2020 MY.

1.5 shifts is for assy and does not include panel painting. The paint facility is new to the 2020 MY.
Is that an in house paint dept....at BGA?
If yes, the panels are likely painted simultaneously, with the unit on the main line.
I thought painted parts were shipped in.....
(I'm still trying to like the C8.....lol)

If yes, the panels are likely painted simultaneously, with the unit on the main line.
Yes, in-house paint department. State of the art we're told.

Reactions: AxeZ06
IMO I believe it’s in house for sure. From watching build videos from BGA, looks like quite the parts facility. You can see thousands of seats, colours, in all set styles. Door panels, hoods, fenders, quarter panels all in a row in ALL the different colours. They will paint months in advance all the panels the different colours needed. They just sit there waiting to be picked for the builds at the time they are needed. They need time to dry and cure.

IMO I believe it’s in house for sure. From watching build videos from BGA, looks like quite the parts facility. You can see thousands of seats, colours, in all set styles. Door panels, hoods, fenders, quarter panels all in a row in ALL the different colours. They will paint months in advance all the panels the different colours needed. They just sit there waiting to be picked for the builds at the time they are needed. They need time to dry and cure.
No, the panels are painted when the order is sequenced.
Edit: The above doesn't read well. I meant and in sequence as Marcrazy says. Mine was painted shortly before moving to the main assy line to be united with everything.

Last edited:
Panels are painted in car position as a set to ensure proper paint finish. They added a new wet sanding line that uses robots to wet sand panels to reduce orange peel. This was a big initiative for Bowling Green to improve their DOI numbers for the paint finish.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.