the fines are necessary for those morons that gab and text with their cell phones or play video games or what have you. BUT, if the cops are given all encompassing power and use the laws under a broad definition, it could become the ultimate cash cow. "distracted driving" is a vague term that could be applied to a wide array of things. could people be targeted for simple things like lighting a smoke or adjusting the heater or radio ?

Good One Keith .... lol.

I just saw the video ....

I bet the driver that got his/ her phone taken away, had to borrow the person behind to call the police ...

The bad news out of that, is the other driver will be charged, for damage to the phone and maybe drivers rage and or unlawful break and enter ... lol.

Good thing the Cops aren't distracted by all the electronic equipment in their cruisers. Like Radar units, radar detector detectors, two way radio, cellphone, on board Laptop, running plate numbers while driving. Eating some Timmies... etc.etc.

Good thing the Cops aren't distracted by all the electronic equipment in their cruisers. Like Radar units, radar detector detectors, two way radio, cellphone, on board Laptop, running plate numbers while driving. Eating some Timmies... etc.etc.

I see them all the time driving distracted but they're above the law....

I do however agree that enforcement needs to clamp down as there are far too many drivers texting & calling while driving...

BF don't you know............."they are trained for this".............sorry I just had to!!:rofl:

To many idiot laws being forced on the mainstream instead of nailing the idiots!! I liked Canada more 30 years ago :canada:

BF don't you know............."they are trained for this".............sorry I just had to!!:rofl:

To many idiot laws being forced on the mainstream instead of nailing the idiots!! I liked Canada more 30 years ago :canada:

Too many idiots on the road that need laws like this unfortunately. I see people texting and driving everyday and it's not just young people. And I live in a fairly rural area. Can't imagine what goes on in the big cities. There was a school teacher killed not far from here about a year or two ago by one of her students who crossed the center line while texting and driving. Very sad. It took many years to get it through people's heads that drinking and driving is dangerous. It will take many more to stop them from texting and driving. I say give them a automatic $10,000 fine and jail time. Maybe then they'll get it. You have to make the threat of punishment very extreme or you won't change people. This is one topic that infuriates me. Driving is a privilege. Treat it with respect. Nobody should die over a test message.

A $5K fine the first time and lose your license for life the second time, for speeding, texting or any other serious infraction. Everyone would be good boys then. Anyone who gets to step two, probably doesn't have the sense to be driving anyway. Of course, this would kill the cash cow that now more than pays the wages of the police, lawyers and courts too. It's an industry in itself.

Case,
I agree.
I see it all the time.
There was a video posted of an accident in Ontario just last week (I think),
where a guy was driving his truck along a highway, and another guy on
a cross street just pulled out right in front of him. The second driver was
on his phone.... as the video (from the 1st vehicle) shows.
A major accident.
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/stunning-dash-cam-captures-highway-crash-in-northern-ontario-1.1717338

Distracted driving....
fiddling with the radio or clock,
turning your head to talk with the person sitting beside you,
eating,
applying makeup,
reading a book or newspaper,
doing a crossword puzzle,
making a phone call (looking at your phone to dial the number),
talking on the phone (this DOES take away your concentration on driving)
(I don't think they should allow the "hand off" either).

I've seen all of these many times.

ALL Distracted driving...... penalize it harshly!!!!!

Last edited:
Up here north of Canada :D A responsible driver pulled over to call his wife as she was heading to the hospital to give birth .The driver was pulled over off the pavement but was rear ended by an another driver who was texting ,Guess who died ?

okay........ using such a broad definition covers damn near everything to do with operating your vehicle. looking at gauges, adjusting the heater/defroster, looking in/adjusting mirrors, looking over your shoulder to change lanes, and here's a biggie - reading signs. cell phones, video games, make up, shaving, sandwiches etc., yes that's distracting. does this broad definition mean that if i spark up a cigarette behind the wheel i'm suddenly in the same league as these texty dummies ???

Yup b76 were lumped into the same group as the "texty dummies"................however I don't find myself weaving back and forth all over the hiway like many of the idiots we see every day. Give it a few years distracted drivers will continue to rise cause the definition will broaden and more money will be collected.
Elf yes a very sad story...........I am freaking scared to pull over for that exact same reason.

You'd think it would be simple to fix the use of cell phones while moving. All these phones today have accelerometers built into them. If a phone is travelling at more than say 2 miles an hour disable its signal. Can't text if you've got no signal.

C'mon you guys,
DISTRACTED Driving means just that !!!!

You are distracted from paying attention to your driving, and the conditions around you.

I am naive enough to expect that no cop is going to ticket you for lighting up while driving.
(unless, of course, you are distracted when doing so.... fumbling for your lighter,
looking for a match, lighting it and an ember falls in your lap, etc., etc.)

there is always a problem with trying to legislate against stupidity. not only does the target get hit but also anything else within range.

there's an escaped killer in that restaurant, hmmm.......okay, toss in a hand grenade - we're bound to get 'im.

a buddy of mine is a retired metro toronto police crash investigator, he was hit 8 times at crash scenes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.