Mar 16, 2024
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 HTC Z51
Province
ON
I am new to the forum here and have been spending a lot of (arguably too much) time online looking at all things Corvette while I wait for my car to arrive from out west.

I am not sure if it is a thing in Canada or not but there is a lot of talk on the US forums about GM sharing/selling driver usage/habit information to insurance companies and this information impacting quotes for drivers. I suspect the Canadian privacy laws make this more difficult here.

That being said, it may not matter as yesterday GM changed their stance on this due to “public outcry.”

Do people here use/activate OnStar on their C8s?

Some do, some don't.
I used them once when feeling for the 4way flasher button after dark.
GM cleverly placed the OnStar SOS button right beside the 4way flasher button, to try to increase participation.
In my case it worked.
I should add that the MyChevrolet MyGMC mobile apps seem to activate OnStar Smart Driver by default.
I had to go into the Account > Settings > OnStar Smart Driver and disable it.
I'm not sure what it might have already done or recorded, or what access level OnStar has to the car's performance data by default even if you don't have an active subscription. My car came with 3 year subscription, but I've not pursued it with OnStar, to "activate" whatever the bells and whistles might be.

Last edited:
Some do, some don't.
I used them once when feeling for the 4way flasher button after dark.
GM cleverly placed the OnStar SOS button right beside the 4way flasher button, to try to increase participation.
In my case it worked.
I did the same thing! I apologized and she said it happens a lot!

I should add that the MyChevrolet MyGMC mobile apps seem to activate OnStar Smart Driver by default.
I had to go into the Account > Settings > OnStar Smart Driver and disable it.
I'm not sure what it might have already done or recorded, or what access level OnStar has to the car's performance data by default even if you don't have an active subscription. My car came with 3 year subscription, but I've not pursued it with OnStar, to "activate" whatever the bells and whistles might be.
I don't have that in my app. Is smart driver only available with an active OnStar account? Or maybe 2020's don't have that?

I did the same thing! I apologized and she said it happens a lot!

I don't have that in my app. Is smart driver only available with an active OnStar account? Or maybe 2020's don't have that?
I just downloaded the MyChevrolet app when I was waiting for the car, to explore what it was able to do/add to the project.
I already had created a GM/Chevy online account when I was fiddling with the builds/options, and used that account to login to the android app on phone and later in car.
I read (on another forum) that some folks had noticed the Settings > OnStar Smart Driver was "enabled" in their phone app.
So, I had a look, and sure enough, it was toggled "on" without me doing it manually.
I toggled it "off". Manually.
MyChevrolet app home page has a little icon MK, top right corner. Tapped that , then Settings, then Onstar Smart Driver.

Could be that earlier versions (2020-2023) that didn't get the 2024 "included" OnStar subscription might be OK by default.
I would guess that makes sense.

MyChevrolet app home page has a little icon MK, top right corner. Tapped that , then Settings, then Onstar Smart Driver.

Could be that earlier versions (2020-2023) that didn't get the 2024 "included" OnStar subscription might be OK by default.
I would guess that makes sense.
My settings only has "Units of Measure, regional Info and Delete account"

Reactions: MKC8
My settings only has "Units of Measure, regional Info and Delete account"
So, it must be something "new and improved" on the 2024s?
They knew I had some sort of OnStar capability, and since you don't, that makes sense.
I've got about half a dozen options under settings including those you mention.

I haven't followed all this OnStar news lately.

Can someone explain in a few points what the downside is to disabling smart driver? is there any benefit to keeping it on?
Smart Driver was used to track your driving habits and GM was (is?) selling the data to a third party who was selling it to insurance companies.

Which app? Onstar Guardian or MyChevrolet or ???
Unfortunately every app in existence pretty well. Read the “ End User License Agreement “ . Nobody does so how can they complain when their personal data is being used by the developers and third parties that they share or sell your data to ? Seldom does anyone ever question why a calculator app needs access to your location and contacts list. Privacy is a thing of the past. Should be no illusions there.

Reactions: Brett Driver
I'm pretty sure you're preaching to the choir on this one.
I asked in response to the prior post, adamantly beseeching us all to run for cover from the data exposure demons and dragons.
Speaking of that, Giant Tiger may have had one recently, for any of you that might still be concerned about internet privacy.
L8R, ptaters.....