Case75

High RPM Poster
2 You're 10
Jul 6, 2012
Earth
VetteCoins
Car
none right now.
Started ripping the dash apart this morning to get to the front speakers. I have other work planned as well: New tach board, new ball vents, replace burnt out bulbs and wire up my radio.

I got the dash out. Was that ever fun. Had to remove the trim around the windshield; drop the steering column down and remove about 50 screws it seemed. Took both sides of the dash down to the shop and replaced the vents, removed the speedo and tach and found 5 light bulbs inside the speedo (?). I put the new tach board in the tach and took the tach out to the car. plugged it in and hooked the battery back up. Turned the key and the tach sprang to life! Did the zero set on the tach and then cranked the car over to see if the tach was getting a signal; it was!

Now I've got to change the speakers and wire up the radio before I put everything back together. It's a big job but so worth it. :D

Sounds like you have it beat! You'll be listening to tunes and knowing how fast you're revving in no time!

Well, this is where I'm at right now. Dash torn apart and new speakers installed. Dash fronts cleaned up and speedo and tach and vents installed . Vent shut off doors are working now as well.

looking at the top photo greg it appears that the upper dash pad is in place. were you able to get away without removing it ?

Once the windshield trim was removed and the one screw that holds the dash pad to the bulkhead I was able to pull the dash pad up and towards me enough to get the dash fronts out after all their screws were removed. Removing the dash pad probably would have cracked the 38 year old plastic as you would have to bend it upwards in the middle to get each side past the windshield pillars.

No worries Range. The clock was replaced last year with a quartz unit. No worries of a fire from the old points sticking together in the original clock and dead nuts accurate. I've started wiring the radio and speakers this morning. Hoping to have everything done by the end of the day but we'll see. I have to work tonight and two more after that so what I don't get done will have to wait until Friday.

Well, I got the radio and speakers all wired up. Hooked the battery up to check and it works! Now I have to start putting everything back together! It'll have to wait until Friday now; I need a nap before going to work.

Greg.. nice dash work pal. A tedious job for sure.
My radio hasn't worked in years..I don't really miss it much.
I love the motor/exhaust sounds...All day long!
I bought some new speakers some years back but haven't tried them in there yet. SONY Explode series.
Did you get new speakers? Aftermarket? Was there proper clearance..I understand that sometimes the driver's speaker can interfere with things in the dash?
great job. .. graham

Greg.. nice dash work pal. A tedious job for sure.
My radio hasn't worked in years..I don't really miss it much.
I love the motor/exhaust sounds...All day long!
I bought some new speakers some years back but haven't tried them in there yet. SONY Explode series.
Did you get new speakers? Aftermarket? Was there proper clearance..I understand that sometimes the driver's speaker can interfere with things in the dash?
great job. .. graham

Graham, the speakers are Kenwood 4X6 60 watt 4 ohm. You have to cut the "X" out of the factory pot metal speaker mount brackets to clear the voice coils. The factory speakers hang down farther than the aftermarket ones. Anybody need a pair of 38 year old speakers?

The radio is a nice upgrade over the factory one but will fool 99% of the population into thinking it is original. The aux in jack in the back is a nice feature. I like having some tunes when I'm cruising. :driving:

Great job on the radio, Greg -- another item off the list .. Does look OEM -- I bet those speakers sound excellent.

BTW I love that gauge cluster above the radio. Very sharp and classy.

C.

Great job on the radio, Greg -- another item off the list .. Does look OEM -- I bet those speakers sound excellent.

BTW I love that gauge cluster above the radio. Very sharp and classy.

C.

the gauge cluster and the interior in general on the 68-77 c3 cars is classic and timeless i think, my personal favourite. greg has done a top notch job and his entire car presents beautifully. a tip of the protective headgear to you my freind :D doug.

the gauge cluster and the interior in general on the 68-77 c3 cars is classic and timeless i think, my personal favourite. greg has done a top notch job and his entire car presents beautifully. a tip of the protective headgear to you my freind :D doug.

I will second that Doug.. Greg's car shows very well, and he is an excellent care taker of it.

Garsh, you guys are making me blush. Thanks for the compliments fellas. I enjoy working on the old beast. I almost agree Doug, the '68 to '76 dash is my favorite. They changed the console in '77.

agreed guys -- Greg's objective I'm sure is to have one of the nicest C3's in the area -- he's done a lot of work and it shows. Kudos to Greg -- you can be sure I'll have cam at the ready next time week meet -- His ride sure makes my camera 'sing'.......:D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.