How is an automotive shop an essential service??

It's an essential service if your car breaks down, you can't get it fixed and you have to get on a bus with 46 Covid 19 infected passengers all sneezing on you ....Or if you live 20 miles out of town, you can't get your car fixed, and you're almost out of bourbon....errrrrrrr...lol....

I work for the local utility Power Company as a Power Lineman and we are a deemed a essential service. We are making sure the utility system is up in good working order, inspection of important infrastructure, and maintaining the utility system (substations, powerlines, traffic lights, etc) is important. Hospitals, Emergency services, Businesses, Grocery Stores, Senior Care Homes, Customers at home with there kids because no School all relying on us to keep the power on. We run a fleet of trucks, and specialty equipment, to keep the power on while doing so, using hotline work procedures on energized powerline in a safe matter. As I have been apart of meetings while the Covid-19 epidemic is on going, I can personally say it is hard to draw a line what is essential. We need a fleet ready to roll 24/7 which requires Mechanics, Welding Shops, Communication Companies, parts from Suppliers, Powerline material/safety equipment from Suppliers, (Transformers, Power Poles, UG cable & OH wire, FR clothing, Rubber Gloves, PPE, etc) and those who manufactory them. I'm sure I missed lots . Just one small example of a job, and who is essential. The whole economy essential, and everyone relies on each other. We are in a hard times right now! Hope everyone stays healthy and we get through this!

Derek was one of the lucky ones to make it home. There are an awful lot of Canadians scattered around the world wishing they were home, undergoing all of the restrictions on their daily lives. Instead, they are stuck in foreign countries with no idea when they will be able to get home or even if they will survive the virus in the foreign country so that they will make it home. This discussion about civil liberties etc... is all first world problems that most of the world only wish they had. I could go on about first responders dealing with the unknowns but everyone gets my drift. Be smart, tough it out, stay safe and remember, wash your hands.

Fred

When I saw this coming Fred I set up the house in Thailand to look after all my needs. (online shopping)
I have a full-time housekeeper who received all the goods and supplies in the couple days before and after I got home. The decision not to come back to Canada was based on, my family is safe, the stability of this country, very good health insurance that has confirmed full coverage for this that's accepted in a private hospital just up the road from me, the urgency to get somewhere quickly and not be trapped in Indonesia or Singapore, this place is already paid for and I would be going into some kind of hotel or worse quarantine when I arrived back in Canada; possible risking my family, Air Canada changed my domestic flight to Calgary for some unexplained or unknown reason before the big announcements, etc.

I planned carefully to be where I am today and so far feel I made the right decisions. Yes, you see my posts trying to add some levity to a difficult situation but it does not diminish my empathy for those that may be really suffering now. I expect this is a very difficult time for you and that is well noted and thought about...as you and I have some interesting parallels in life. Including our volunteer service where I put in 12 amazing years and retired a Captain when I moved overseas.

People in my town which is maybe 30,000 people are relatively being good with the distancing thing. I am getting my garage doors replaced in a month and the guy who came to get the deposit said to leave the cheque under the door mat and not to come out. He says we are germ free because we have been staying in but he does work in the service industry so it was to protect us. If the virus continues when I get the doors done he said not to come out and he would let me know when he is finished and he would back away to let me look it over. People here are taking it seriously. Which is a good thing.

And a few more words from Bill Gates.
“There really is no middle ground, and it’s very tough to say to people, ‘Hey, keep going to restaurants, go buy new houses, ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner. We want you to keep spending because there’s maybe a politician who thinks GDP growth is all that counts,’”

Whether the event was contrived or whether the powers that be have found a convenient medium, the government(s) have been able through hysterical media, predictions of doom government briefings, government funded mathematic modelling showing it is the end of humanity (a touch of sarcasm), a rush to borrow literally trillions of dollars to fund a “recovery”, and an actual mortality rate that has Alberta numbers less than were killed on the Deerfoot last weekend, for other agendas.

Guaranteed income discussion has been revived. Yesterday suggestions were floated by media groups that a one world government would have been better equipped to handle this “crisis”. We have lost civil liberties, told where we can go, when we can go, and when he have to be locked up in our cottages.

Meanwhile a Russian/Chinese spat over oil is driving out profitability in the resource sector leaving that industry crippled. The cost to rebuild greater than the cost to employ green philosophy.

I am not sure exactly but I believe my friend thinks that going forward we need to be very vigilant and prepared for instability in the coming months and years.
Heard last evening that Mexico is the place to be. The president down there has said that with a few amulets and good luck charms you can beat this.
Personal opinion is that he has shares in Pandora bracelets and charms. LOL

I have to wonder what the narrative of the folks over on that “other forum” I mentioned earlier is, now that the US has surpassed China and Italy in infected numbers, and New York is there epicenter. The last time I looked in on them (a few days ago), it was still the same old bravado BS. Perhaps the images of the refrigeration trucks that have pulled up to the NYC hospitals, ready to be used as temporary morgues might wake them up. As one of you said earlier, you can’t cure stupid, which was exactly what I thought of those morons that attempt to defend their cavalier attitude.
Just for fun, I might just pop over there and poke the bear to see if anybody has changed their tune.

Heard last evening that Mexico is the place to be. The president down there has said that with a few amulets and good luck charms you can beat this.
Personal opinion is that he has shares in Pandora bracelets and charms. LOL

Perhaps Donald should import some of these. If he expects everything will be fine by Easter, he's going to have to do more than talk.. jmo

I have to wonder what the narrative of the folks over on that “other forum” I mentioned earlier is, now that the US has surpassed China and Italy in infected numbers, and New York is there epicenter. The last time I looked in on them (a few days ago), it was still the same old bravado BS. Perhaps the images of the refrigeration trucks that have pulled up to the NYC hospitals, ready to be used as temporary morgues might wake them up. As one of you said earlier, you can’t cure stupid, which was exactly what I thought of those morons that attempt to defend their cavalier attitude.
Just for fun, I might just pop over there and poke the bear to see if anybody has changed their tune.
Maybe point out that China's population is approx 1.4 billion
USA population is approx 330 million
The US likes to be first in everything but doubtful they will brag about this one. With 1/4 the pop of China they have more dead already. And they are just getting on a roll some three months after China was in deep dodo.

Reactions: Dale124
Maybe point out that China's population is approx 1.4 billion
USA population is approx 330 million
The US likes to be first in everything but doubtful they will brag about this one. With 1/4 the pop of China they have more dead already. And they are just getting on a roll some three months after China was in deep dodo.
You actually believe China’s reported stats on this?

You actually believe China’s reported stats on this?
We know that China is not giving the world the whole picture.
That doesn't exonerate all the countries being so slack on this.
Taiwan actually has kept their schools open because they were on top of it back in January when they saw what was happening in China. In the mean time. including Mr. Dressup, twiddled their thumbs saying this to shall pass.
It has just occurred to the powers that be that everyone's temperature should be verified before they can access public places. Just like what we saw China, S.Korean and Taiwan doing months ago.

Quebec has gone from Tier one hospitals, those designated as the principal ICU facilities. through tier two and now are in to tier three facilities. Tier four is the CV cases stay wherever they are diagnosed whether or not they have isolation rooms.
My daughter is a doctor (West Island of Montreal) and everyone is on edge over this.
I asked if all patients are given a mask when entering. There are not enough to go around. Staff is being prioritized over patients except for the most obvious. Single use face shields are being washed and reused.

We all know that there will be dead from this and most likely the older compromised will go first. There are still a lot of healthy (17 doctors in Italy) who will also die. I would not want to be in a situation to say No that one is not worth while trying to save, this one is doubtful so lets skip them and of the next thirty we only have ten ventilators left.
Unfortunately that may be the case if this inundates the hospitals. So the economy is in the $hits now but it can come back. Only seen Frankenstein who was revived and he did not look too good to me.

Last edited:
Keeping the moment light... Except in this case truthful.. Change this to bourbon and you have Eric...

Definitely Eric
That was funny Randy... Except for the 200 other vids that were attached to your link....lol I'll show you sometime how to just post one at a time....

tenor.gif

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
So here is my day so far. My portable used tank was full. It empty's through a valve and a hose using air pressure. You close the main valve from the drain pan hook up your and turn the air valve on. Of course with the hose in a empty container.

The main valve failed.

Oil departed the drain pan at 100 psi.

I was standing beside the tank.

Ceiling covered in oil. I was covered in oil. The Vettes cover took some collateral damage. And of course the garage floor was swi in used oil.

On a related note are the soft factory car covers washable?
:angry-argh:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread