Reactions: L83
Well then...

For my '73

Fuel up
Wash
Pull into Garage
Clean Inside
Disconnect Battery
Add scented dryer sheets everywhere (for mice)
Throw a bar of Irich Spring in rear compartment (for mice)
Newer car cover first
Older car cover on top of that (protects from my guard cat)
Piece of cardboard under tranny (it drips oil a bit)

Then wait for spring!

P.S. I do my oil change first thing in the spring.

T

Last edited:
Change oil and filter
Fill with Gas - add gas stabilizer
40 psi in tires
plug in Battery tender
Put dryer sheets in car
wash and wax
put cover on car
store in garage
area-z51-albums-my-z51-picture354-user345975-pic70692-1293755019.jpg
[/IMG]
picture.php
[/IMG]
picture.php
[/IMG]

Last edited:
OK, here's a chance for me to learn a bit more.

I've read all the threads on winter storage (I hope) There are some great tips I picked up. Here are my plans / questions

I'll put it away at the end of this month, oil has been changed and I'll check the tire pressure. What should I have the pressure at for winter storage? The max recommended for the tires?

I bought Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer, not sure if I really need it but it was on sale.

I cleaned and protected the top with RaggTopp, also the weatherstripping with Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege (mouthful and a half)

I'll give the exterior and interior a good clean this weekend making sure everything is dry before putting it away.

I'm also going to get a CTEK 3300 3.3A battery charger.
CTEK Multi-use 3300 3.3A Battery Charger | Canadian Tire
Is this OK?

Also, I was thinking of starting the car about every two weeks, probably more for me than the car, let it run at a quick idle, if sunny put it in the driveway. Make sense or not?

I've read a lot of pros and cons about tires flat spotting, I thought this was only a problem with bias tires? If anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

As I have used up my quota of questions for this week i'll just say "thank you" and be on my way.

Reactions: ralexcur
-I'm also going with Sta-Bil. I believe it to be a good idea -- add to a full tank.
-40 psi on the tires should do.
-also use Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege on weather stripping

The CTEK 3300 is a popular smart charger. I have one on each of my cars.

---But don't go to Crappy tire -- Buy the spare one I have for $50. (brand new in box) --- I got a 'Vette version when I bought the GS (optional) and traded my brother for the CTEK 3300 I bought him, so I have one spare if you're interested. Has all the attachments and manual.

I await your pm -- btw I'm not far away -- in Cambridge.

guys, why the rush to 'winterize' the 'vette ?
there is all of november left to go driving ! At least, the past 3 years I've not
put the car away until the end of november. Re...Ford Prefect....
I would suggest you will do far more harm than good if you start the car up during the
winter. to dry everything out you need a good one hour of motoring; so I'll let you sit
in your car, but don't start it.[g]. As for oil change before / after the winter...there appears to be 2 camps, one says put away with fresh oil; the other camp...change oil
in the spring. Just don't do both !!!

As always, just my thoughts /practice
Tony, Welland. [ nr. Niagara Falls]

Hope you're right Tony -- bad sign tho: snow tomorrow night. UGGG:eek:

Getting real slippery with my summer rubber on. Went to Manny's today for a license plate mount and slipped badly a couple times.

Last edited:
A agree with not starting the car over the winter unless it is a nice day and you can go for a drive. My worry is the heat in the engine will just cause excess condensation to form inside the engine as it cools.....unless this too is just a myth. For peace of mind, take some video of your car running as this will help with the winter blues...sort of.

As for tires, 40psi looks the same as 30 so it's not like the tire profile is different with what is sitting on the ground. I have not heard of problems with flat spotting since radials came in and have not had problems with mine.

I have a CTEK 3300 and it works well.

The only other thing I would add to the clean up list is to put a good leather conditioner on the seats.

Storage, keep it simple, I usually use up a whole day.

1. Change oil and filter. Oil tends to hold acids and other crap
during a season of operation. You do not want your engine sitting it that.
Also grease all ball joint and tie rod fittings.

2. Pull the rims and really clean out the old brake dust. Its acidic and will eat into your rims. Have a look at your brakes at the same time, they can wait until spring but at least you'll know. Also with the rims off you get a good chance to clean up the suspension and engine.

3. Fill with Gas and add stabilizer. Modern fuels will "gum up" after a short while, stabilizer prevents this.

4. You can bump tire pressure, but even if you don't radials will not flat spot.

5. Check the anti freeze it should be good for at least -30.

6. Oil up door hinges and hood hinges and head lights at the pivots.

7. Treat leather seats with a good quality treatment.

8. Treat all interior surfaces, use silicone on all of the rubber seals

9. Add dryer sheets to keep the mice out.

10. Wash and wax it

11. Connect on a Battery Minder, not a battery charger.

12. Cover it, hopefully in a garage, and forget it until spring. Periodic starting does no good, it allows moisture to build up in the oils and exhaust system.

13. Well don't really forget about it, go out every once in a while and just have a look or sit in it. It won't cure the itch in January, but it will help.

I just put mine away today, I'll probably give it a peek and a sit in a week or so.

Good Luck

As for oil change before / after the winter...there appears to be 2 camps, one says put away with fresh oil; the other camp...change oil
in the spring. Just don't do both !!!

As always, just my thoughts /practice
Tony, Welland. [ nr. Niagara Falls]

Tony, I'll bite. Why the don't do both comment? Cost alone, is there some other reason?

VV

Reactions: ralexcur
do u guys get a bit of a leak on tranny on c6 ?

You mean for an auto? Manny (Nasty98) might want to put his $.02 in here too since he's serviced many of them (auto's and stick), but for me any leak would be bad and not normal --even a small one over a period of inactivity...

Sounds like you have one WB?

C.

Its manual... I had it sitting for 2 weeks once the weather cooled down. And vent to move it and was a small drip like size of quarter. Near diff. Not sure if diff tranny or lockout solenoid.. I figure seals shrunk cause of the colder weather? I guess I'll get it checked out
[mob][/mob]

Its manual... I had it sitting for 2 weeks once the weather cooled down. And vent to move it and was a small drip like size of quarter. Near diff. Not sure if diff tranny or lockout solenoid.. I figure seals shrunk cause of the colder weather? I guess I'll get it checked out
[mob][/mob]

Might be a good idea for them to look. As you say, seals will shrink in the cool weather and possibly seep -- that wouldn't be hard to live with but a serious leak would need some attention. If you have a drip then it probably is more than seepage.
Could just be overflow from vents too -- if the tranny or back axle were serviced and topped off lately.

You probably still have warranty under the 5yr/100k p/train -- right?

G/L

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.