deebee

I'm New Here
Aug 20, 2016
Edmonton, AB
VetteCoins
Car
1999 Corvette
Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good LS1 mechanic in Edmonton for my 1999 C5?

It needs the harmonic balancer replaced, and I would rather not take it to a dealership and can't do it myself. I have all the parts.... just am researching shops.

I have been to a few but didn't get a good feeling from them, although Moretto did give a good estimate and I believe their LS1 guy is still there. At least in the spring he was.

I was considering CCMR (he wouldn't give an estimate, though) and Horsepower Solutions (but heard the mechanics are kids, not journeymen) but obviously am open to suggestions.

I was going to take it to Calgary but don't want to risk having the balancer let go on the way there.

Thanks!

Supposedly Moretto went through some changes and now specialize only in diesel go fast... This was posted back in July by a member looking for a header install... I have heard lots of good things out of Davenport in Calgary but if it coming apart is a concern, that's not an option... Good luck... let us know where you take it and how they do...

Well I wouldn't take it Sherwood Park Chevy, that's for damn sure!! From my research they were supposed to be the "authority" on the vette, I was sadly mistaken. I've had a few things done by Tony at High-Tech Alignment. He has a c5 himself and is a diehard Chevy guy. His prices were more than reasonable and I'm happy with the work he's done for me. I think a harmonic balancer would be well within his expertise.

From what I hear there are both good and bad dealerships in Edmonton Murray but deebee indicated he was looking for something other than a dealer... thus the private shop discussion... Will be interesting to see where he ends up...

Folks, thanks for the responses.

Just to clarify, I am not opposed to taking it to a dealer if anyone can vouch for a good one, however I have had mixed dealings with the ones in Edmonton over a transmission fluid issue and am a little leery of their expertise with the C5's.

Having said that, I would think an HB replacement would be fairly easy for a qualified mechanic. As CCMR told me, "take parts out, put parts back in". I would like to bring it to a shop that has done these before and I know Moretto (rip) has done tons of them but not sure if their LS1 guy is there anymore.

Cheers.

Folks, thanks for the responses.

Just to clarify, I am not opposed to taking it to a dealer if anyone can vouch for a good one, however I have had mixed dealings with the ones in Edmonton over a transmission fluid issue and am a little leery of their expertise with the C5's.

Having said that, I would think an HB replacement would be fairly easy for a qualified mechanic. As CCMR told me, "take parts out, put parts back in". I would like to bring it to a shop that has done these before and I know Moretto (rip) has done tons of them but not sure if their LS1 guy is there anymore.

Cheers.

As you can see deebee it is hit and miss with the dealers. Different experiences with the same dealer. Often enough "that great Corvette tech" moves to a different dealership and some customers follow if they find out. Sher Park has been very good for me as I've said before but not the same experience for others here. My Hummers are all off warranty and I've been treated well in servicing and repairs. The Corvettes I've had have all been in warranty so a dealership was the really only option for service "free oil changes" and the one Hub I had replaced.
For your C5 you may be better off at a private shop unless a dealer can show you a guy who has that solid experience with C5s. I would go down to a dealer you choose and ask. Put them on the spot and get the guy out of the back to talk to you. If they wont do that... move on. That's what I did with my Hummers.
Just my opinion. Hope you find the right place asap to change out that HB, so you can enjoy your Vette. :)

Derek

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Ok, I tracked down the LT1/LS1 techs that worked at Moretto - Nolan and Ryan.

AFAIK, they are at Acceleration Auto and Performance, which appears to be a new outfit opened this year.
It's a start.

I talked to one of the guys (Ryan) in the past at Moretto about LT1 engines and judging by his answers this guy knows his stuff, and he definitely knows Corvette's. Hopefully he is still at Acceleration. He did the initial inspection on my C5 right after I bought it and I was impressed with him. Straight forward guy and professional.

Dealerships, my go-to has been Westgate. I've been a loyal customer for, well decades. Earl Wong is a genuine authority on anything GM builds or built. Ron Hodson has been good to me lately servicing my pick up. Shop rates are $150/hour but I find they offer superb service and eat a lot of costs. I'm not sure they could be recouping these costs from GM?

Dick

Reactions: ddgermann
OP check out Mike's Custom Exhaust in Sherwood park. His business name doesn't do justice for all of the work he does there. Its more of a hotrod shop, they do all repairs. Its a husband and wife operation. He did my headers install and I was overall happy and their hourly rate is lower than most.

The owner has a few nice vehicles himself and is a GM guy. Call up the shop, ask to talk to him directly and just ask if he has done a HB on an LS1 before.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.