Christopher81C3

I'm New Here
Sep 20, 2019
Cleveland
VetteCoins
Hello Everyone. I’ve recently purchased a 1981 C3 corvette and I’ve got a few things up with it. I’m preparing to do a valve cover gasket job because of an oil leak and I noticed that the car was low on coolant. I haven’t found any leaks so what could the issue be? The engine was recently rebuilt so I’m doubting it’s a head gasket. Any advice? Thanks.

Hello Everyone. I’ve recently purchased a 1981 C3 corvette and I’ve got a few things up with it. I’m preparing to do a valve cover gasket job because of an oil leak and I noticed that the car was low on coolant. I haven’t found any leaks so what could the issue be? The engine was recently rebuilt so I’m doubting it’s a head gasket. Any advice? Thanks.
Perhaps it was low on coolant right from the time it was rebuilt?

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
Perhaps it was low on coolant right from the time it was rebuilt?
I thought that but didn’t have the courage to actually say that here.😆😆
I can pretty much imagine my elation ...
if it were me in this position
2D0A3EA4-86E9-4CC1-8DD2-28E4DE8702E3.gif

Last edited:
1569039867083.gif

Ya... there’s a chance. But we are not really helping the OP with his question.
@Christopher81C3 can you give us a few more details on the engine and what you have checked? Pressure in the system, rad condition.... anything you have checked already?

And a photo or 10 is always helpful

Had an off topic car of that era and I could always smell anti freeze, this was after installing a fresh 468" BB. Turned out it was the heater core leaking onto the black carpet, nobody noticed the wet floor.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

It really depends how much coolant you're loosing. If coolant was going out the tail pipes, you'd see white smoke. Be sure it isn't in the oil. When you take off the valve covers, you'll see a milky build up if the coolant is present. It could be a faulty head gasket, warped head, many things. The driver's side valve cover removal requires a lot more dismantling than the passenger side. At least that's how it was on my C4. If the car isn't really running hot, it shouldn't be too alarming. I also found that if you overfill the cooling system, the pressure will make the coolant leak out. Around 1 1/2 in. from the filler neck when cold is plenty. Always use 50/50 antifreeze mixture.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.