LSXtasy, which Tough Mudder you going to do ? The one in May ? Think I may try that one as well. Have done a shorter one was huge fun to say the least. I see they have added a second one in the fall. May will still have snow on the hills .

Velocity, I'm going to focus on distance running more with my gf, hill runs at the local ski hill (Chicopee and Mt. Trashmore)as well as rowing (which i absolutely hate but works so well). I'm still going to do resistance training and some powerlifting, but with more emphasis on plyometrics (think Crossfit).
Z51, the May one was all booked up, but there's another one in September. It's also at Mt. St. Louis Moonstone. The earlier you register the cheaper it is just like marathons. There's also a 5km event in October at Chicopee called the Badass Dash if your interested.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Wow, never thought the May one would book that fast, darn, I did the Mud Hero one last year , I try to do at least two or three 10 Km rums as well as some 5 Kms. Going to victoria in april to do the TC 10 , They have 14,000 runners there , Is huge

Good grief now we've got both proper car owners and runners? OK I really need to move back to Ontario it would appear!

It is foggy as ever here this morning and below -20 so I hope that I am still motivated to run a short distance.

213 as well this morning.

Hill runs, yikes! Back in December of 2009 I was going out with the running club in Peace River and the end of the 10 or 20 km run was a hill section out of the valley. The 9th time I did that the next day i would not walk, it appears that I damaged my right Achilles tendon and that brought my running to an end and started my downhill slide.

So I'm being ultra careful now with my right foot, breaking it in slowly, and so far so good. But I think it is going to be a very long time before I tackle any sort of hill again and with a whole lot of stretching beforehand!

Good combination though. I'm looking forward to taking the Z06 to my 1st race this year!

How interesting Z51, a lot of the people I went through training with as first time runners back in 2008 closed out the season by doing the Victoria run and they all said it was a terrific experience. Maybe I'll have to give it some thought this year - oh wait - darn harvesting season at the same time!!

Cheers,

Garry

Z51, I should correct my last post it wasn't completely booked, just too expensive by the time we organized our group. As it stands right now there are around 20 of us. We'll see what that dwindles down to once the event gets closer. I want our team to register early so that people are less likely to back out. Another race/run that looks kind of fun is Run for your Life, whichbis a zombie themed race. You have lives (flags, like flag football) which the zombies try and take from you. It looks really well done amd a little more on the fun side then the intense side.
Velocity, I'm not a runner, that's my biggest problem that I have to work on. 5km, no problem, but my endurance after that has never really been tested. That's why I want to run more with my gf since she runs half marathons. She'll help me get more focused. I totally agree that we have a great crew here. Whether it's cars or other topics. Great forum.:thumbup:

LSXtasy,

You are selling yourself very short here. Don't worry about the maybe 5 or 10% of people that can go farther than you can, think about the 90 to 95% of the people who can't go as far as you can right now!

I always felt motivated that every time I increased my pace or distance I could run it put me into a smaller and smaller group of people. And I felt damn good about myself for being able to do that.

So don't be coming at me with a I can only run 5 km right now sob story, I'm just working my way (after 5 days training!) of being able to run 3 km without a walk break and already it is a case of how many people in the world are not even capable of doing that distance and I feel f'ing wonderful about my accomplishment and how great it makes me feel!

But I envy you your running/training partner. My gf did a triathalon about 5 years ago but has shown very little interest in getting her feet moving again which is so sad considering she also had the stomach surgery and is approaching the 40 pounds lost. She should be enjoying this new found freedom in her life............

Cheers,

Garry

Velocity, I appreciate the motivation. Thank you.:thumbup:
Z51, I forget exactly where the Run for your Life event is. I'm thinking it's Milton area. I'll have to check the website. It looks fun though. It's a cool twist on a 5km obstacle course. Apparantly there's a ton of bands playing and a quarantine station to spray off all the mud.

As another really strange part of my history how do you like this one.........

My ex-wife, whom I met while she was a student in Alberta, is from Burlington, raised and grew up there. Her parents actually still live there and when we went to see them I remember she took me to the Milton Mall, where Karla Hulmolka used to hang out apparently........

LSXtasy, my rule in life is to not pull yourself down, you will encounter enough people ion life who are willing to do that for you that you don't need to be doing it to yourself!

Cheers,

Garry

Let me know if you find out when and where that is. Think I am going to do the May 11 Tough Mudder, Looks like it will be a challenge for sure, Need to make sure the 60 year old legs will go up those ski hills, Did a couple of cross country runs last year , Need to work more on the upper body I think, Even though the run is 16 kms long never any huge long stretches

Good morning,

Some progress.

212 this morning.

50 km winds but +6, the chinook has arrived. Nice temperature but way too windy.

Started continous running, 1st two days 2.7 km, then two days of 3.35. Pace slow but nice to do some longer distances.

Celebrated by breaking out my winter running gear. My first winter back in 2008/2009 I went to MEC and dumped $ for good winter clothing. About two months into that winter I invested in some really nice winter shoes called "Icebugs" which have these cool receeding carbide tips on them.

I have an Excel file that contains all of my exercising information for the past 5 1/2 years. So I was able to go back and find that in my 1st winter I was running it at 208-212 lb so I am right where I want to be weight wise and now just need to get some conditioning in.

It did make me feel really good to get the old clothes out and on again too, to strap on my water bottle holder (sans water) and to think about how lucky I am in my life right now.

The goal will be for me to get myself in as good a shape as Manny is going to do with the car, a matched set I hope!

For Riley, like we invest in good tires for our car, get yourself good running shoes. Some good stores will have a treadmill with a video camera so they can shoot you running and then show you what type of running style you have and thus what type of shoe to buy. Expect to pay for good shoes, up to $200 unless you go with the previous years model which is what I do then if you shop around you can get them for say $60 plus. Get them fitted. Sadly expect that they will not last for more than about 600 to 1000 km of running before they start to breakdown. I've worn some through two layers of the sole before I stopped running with them, don't do this! Feet can't be replaced so invest and baby them which is what I do now. Always have a spare pair too. I know some folks who have two or three pairs and they alternate days to give the shoes a chance to spring back into shape, not sure if this is legit or not though.

Get a water bottle holder, stay hydrated, drink before, during and after..........learn to pee while taking a walking break - one of the very few advantages of running in the country!

Enough ramblings for today.

Cheers,

Garry

Cheers,

Garry

HAHAHAHA! Man, that zombie race sounds awesome! What a hoot that would be!

I haven't thought of running just yet. I want to keep up with my fitness classes, strength training with some pre and post cardio on an eliptical and Thursday I start my year long commitment to an experimental exercise program that a friend is developing. It's meant to be done at home in 15 to 20 minute sessions 3-4 times a week so that people don't have the "I'm just too busy" excuse. Who can't find 20 minutes a day? My biggest struggle is diet. I've really been doing well this year, (I know only two weeks in) but fell off the wagon on the weekend with being out of town. Tonight is my fitness class that will get me rocking the wagon again!

Riley, that's a great routine. Keep it up and don't overdue it. Once you feel like you're getting used to it, start changing up the intensity. The challenge is what makes working out (and getting healthy) hard and rewarding.

A milestone reached, pound #50 disappears from my stretch-mark scarred body this morning but does it feel good!

I was in the same situation you are in Riley, having several good days in controlling my hunger and then poof! it would get blown out the window by one days loss of control.

It is so hard when the entire world is revolving around food and not always the best choices. Like you experience with being on the road. Or if you have to go to meetins or conferences and thus are eating out in a restaurant.

When we go places now we bring our own snacks and food with us. Less expensive to be sure and also we're able to eat what we want and need.

It should be an easier run this morning as I can't hear the wind but it is still still above zero so I think I'll opt for my Icebugs again.

Two days now I've been able to convince my gf to come for a walk with me in the evening, just 1.5 to 2 km but hopefully I can get a habit started for her. We walked pre-surgery from time to time but I haven't been able to get her on her feet since we got back.

211, it really does feel so good.

Another side of the story. When I was getting ready for the surgery itself they had to give me blood pressure medication as it was something in the range of 160/170 over 110/120 ish. I went to see an LPN yesterday and they took my blood pressure, 6 weeks post-surgery 119/91!!!

Cheers,

Garry

Nice job on the blood pressure! I think it has to do with your baby being taken care of at Manny's.:D

So, being 50 pounds lighter, do you feel like you can fly? You must feel so light going up stairs!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and seeing what the next year will bring. I did my fitness class but it wasn't very intense so I went into the gym side and did my strength training routine and forced myself to put in 20 minutes on the eliptical. That sucked...but I was glad I did it.....afterwards.:rofl:

Good morning Riley,

So 5th day of short runs. Now I need to force myself tomorrow to either walk only or do reps. No point in pushing things and ending up with a set back when things are going so well for me.

My blood pressure if lower knowing that the car is there, for sure, but spiking every time I fantasize about driving it, the first time WOT, only comes once in a moded cars life ya know! Thus I'll have to install camera's for posterity to immortalize the moment.

Yes, it is odd to be 50 lb lighter than 6 weeks ago. Part of me feels like getting a SCUBA diving belt with 50 lb of weight and walking around with it for an hour so I can simulate what I had been doing to my body.

Sounds like you're getting moving with your program too! I find that I always hate to exercise, most times I curse it while I am doing it. But afterward I end up feeling so energized and proud of myself for putting some much value on having a better life that it makes all the sweat, creaks and groaning worth while!

Manny is expecting the unvailing the end of next week. Now that will be a momentous moment in my life too.

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning,

So I did walk yesterday, 4 km, we had 6" of fresh snow and not even any vehicle tracks to walk in and a pretty strong east wind that made it a sort of miserable time.

210 this morning! So another 15 to 30 pounds and that should be that. Oddly still not sure of exactly how low I'd like to go. I feel pretty good right now but would like to go below 200 for sure. Again really windy this morning so I'm not sure about running or not. Mostly packed down yesterday before the wind started up over night so I'm not sure what it looks like this morning.

Trying to decide about gauges for the build, AeroForce or Dashtronix - see thread under Performance.

Cheers,

Garry

I just finished a new PB ( personal best) of running 4 miles in 42:47 minutes. That time includes a 4 minute warm up and doesn't include my cool down. It was on my personal treadmill and the incline was only 0.5, and I was running at a speed of 6mph. This is pathetic for an avid runner, but I'm pumped that I'm headed in the right direction for Tough Mudder.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.