Good evening Riley,

I just started keeping a log of what I was eating about 6 days ago and it was a bit of an eye opener. I think it comes with a nunderstanding that if you plan on losing weight you have to consume less than if you were in a maintenance situation which would be slightly higher of coruse.

They really stressed protein for us as well. 50 to 70 grams a day. At first that proved to be a challenge but after we made up a table with the calories and grams of protein and looked at ratios for different foods inthe house it became a lot easier to pick those that are giving us more protein per calorie. You'll learn to love fish and poultry!

I also have a couple of kg of a vanilla protein powder that I mix in with things like puddings to get more and have something that tastes OK in the process.

My skin is very dry right now and while that is not unusual in the winter it is never this bad and so I might have to start using lotion. I suspect that this may be due to a real reduction in the amount of fat I am consuming, we like to give our dogs and cats all the leavings from cooking meat for this reason to help them have a nicer fur coat.

I do believe very strongly in it being a case of intake vs consumption and the difference either gets stored as fat on your body or will be withdrawn from bodyfat to make up the difference.

The other very real issue to consider is that our metabolism's are all different. Just like different car engines will produce more or less power from a gallon of gas, people's bodies vary in the efficiency with which they utilize food.

We're all got friends like that I'm sure, who eat and eat and never gain weight and then others who seem cursed to store every calorie on their stomach. It does suck life is this way but it is a reality. It is something personal and it is very hard to modify if at all. One way to accomplish this is by exercising which speeds up our metabolisms. Best of all this affect lasts for a while so this is why I like to exercise in the morning and to have the benefits of it last throughout the day.

The other real challenge is to alter our eating habits. Right now for most of us we skimp on breakfast and have a feeding frezny at supper. This is the opposite of what we need to be doing. Pig out at breakfast (fuel for the day) and have a snack at supper as in three or four hours we're going to bed anyway. The food from a big supper doesn't get burned so guess what - our body stores it as fat!

I might look into some good quality beef jerky too since I like that, I'll have to see what the ratio is for it.

You're on the right path Riley so don't lose hope ever. It will take time and it is not going to be the easiest thing for you to do.

One of my goals, to wear a pair of jeans that I still have from when I was 17 and at university! Maybe in a month............!

Cheers,

Garry

HAHAHA! Awesome old jeans. I have a couple pair of 'tight' pants that aren't meant to be tight.:rofl:

I follow your logic on calories in vs calories burned and we do burn our food differently.

I have to get going but I just committed myself to a year long program! We'll see how it goes!

Good afternoon Riley,

Just went for my 1st walk along the dike in Peace River since before surgery. It is since to see the river, all the broken and piled up chunks of ice. I couldn't get myself to go walking here at the acreage but if I drive 20 minutes to go walking you can be sure I'm going to do something! 3 km........but better than nothing.

You've just made one of the best resolutions for your life you can ever do. Be strong, resolute, determined! And start thinking about how you're going to reward yourself when you reach your goal............eye on the prize, right?!

Cheers,

Garry

Funny that you have to drive to go for a walk. It makes total sense to me! I used to drive my dog to the park to go walking where I could have just walked around the neighborhood. However, it always nice to get away to do something and makes it more purposeful.

So....eye on the prize?....I'm thinking that since this is a long term goal......I would like to make it a C7! Because by the time I can afford one and attain my goal, I'm thinking they'll be cheap!:D

First smaller goal my be shirt off at the beach... That would actually be a really good one. The second goal (after the one year) is to beat up both my brothers....and thirdly is the Corvette.:rofl:

Good afternoon Riley,

Sometimes doing something as simple as going for a walk can be a struggle. For example, I went out this morning by my place and it the wind was already up to about 30 km/hr. Windy conditions are the most challenging for me to get myself dressed for. Thankfully it was only -5 or something in that range so it was not uncomfortable to be outside, just annoying to have snow always being blown in my face.

Driving to walking may be a bit odd for some. Another reason why I like to do that is that it allows me to have the chance to see other people. I think that in the past three years I've never met another person while I've been walking and it is nice to see other people especially if when I'm on the dike the people I'm meeting are doing the same thing, running or walking/with a pet. Even for a strong introvert like myself it is nice to see others out exercising, you feel less alone.

A C7 is a nice goal indeed! That must be for the loss of a heck of a lot of weight though.

I echo being able to go shirtless in public would be a good way to be feeling about myself though, outside of the pool anyway. I'm not sure if I'll be able to cross that bridge for just random shirtlessness myself one day.

God Riley, I just realized that today is now the five year mark of walking or running everyday without missing a day. January 1st 2008 seems like such a long time ago when I first made that pledge to myself. I had some moments in the past three months when I wanted to give it up but it is nice to still have this streek intact.

I hope your brothers don't read the threads here! Forewarned is forearmed as they say.......

Happy New Year and all the best in 2013!

Cheers,

Garry

Hi Garry!

Wow, this thread hasn't moved since last year!:rofl:

Anyway, the additional training hasn't started yet as my instructor is in Edmonton but I am going to the gym more now just waiting for the course to fire up! So anyway Garry, mark it on your calender. I'm officially starting at 250...and plan to be down to um....what's a good goal....a solid 235 by mid March? Let's do it!

So the plan is more smaller meals....and exercise. HAHAHA. I wonder if anyone else has stumbled on this combination for weight loss.:rofl:

Anyone else on this forum do a new years resolution to get into shape?...I mean, other than round?:rofl:

Garry, that's a great start! You'll find that you'll shed weight relatively fast at first, so you mid March goals probably sren't far off. You will find that you are going to plateau at some point. Don't get discouraged. Change up your routine, usually intensity to keep your heart rate up. Although I've never had a weight problem, I've been working out (weight training, Crossfit, etc.) for the last 16yrs. My girlfriend is a huge inspiration for me as she was 230lbs at one point and now runs multiple half marathons through the year (her personal best is 2h01mins) amd is signing up for her second duathalon this summer. Stick with it for you, your health and your family and friends. You won't regret it.:thumbup::beer:

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

WOW that is a great achievement! I don't think I could run three blocks right now.:rofl:

I always find the start the easiest. It's sticking with it that takes the real motivation until it becomes habit. Then once it becomes habit and I start seeing changes, and feeling better, that will be motivation enough for me!

Garry, what are you down to now?

Good morning and Happy 2013 fellows,

Riley, I would have to go back to 1999 when I lost weight the old fashioned way. Then it was about 2-3 pounds a week, so 8 to 12 pounds a month. But that was a very restrictive diet for me and also walking 90 minutes daily. But it was the first time in my life that I was losing weight so I was pretty motivated and let me tell you that when you start to lose weight the motivation comes much easier.

Now is it a struggle in some ways. I am finding it much harder to go out to exercise as I think the knowledge that I don't need to any more to keep my weight down might be creeping into my mind. Since surgery there have only been maybe 2 or 3 days when I've logged in my full 10 km, most days it is more like 5 km. I know the colder than normal temperatures over the holidays with wind (-30 with 30 km winds really can drive any interest in going outside out of you!) and this morning I was all pumped up but we had 10 cm of fresh snow and that is about as much fun as running on sand. Great for resistance training but otherwise not so much fun to do!

But when I was in Grande Prairie on the weekend I had the good luck to run into Crystal and Ryan. Crystal I did a lot of my running with in the 1st year of my running and even though it was three years since I've seen her we stay in touch and talk about the struggles of running! So we've promised one another to race against each other (I never beat her, well maybe one race I'd have to look but she is also 20 years younger than me and was never overweight) this spring so I need to get myself going.

When I was running there was always a perverse thrill from passing kids 1/2 my age who had never been obese or had cancer!

My times were good when I was running regularly, my 1/2 marathons were 1:56 and my best 10 km was 49:57. At that time pretty good for a 44 year old ex blimp. But running foremost should always be about personal challenges. I was never going to be as fast as some in my group like Mike or Esther. There are some people that are just built to run and some like me that are build to wallow! But running is great fun, races are the most fun of all and even if you decide not to do that, getting out with a bunch of walkers is still a great way to get your body in shape. My role model is a fellow who started running when he was 80, not for weight but to stay active. He runs 5 and 10 km races and is still doing it at 87!!!!

I'm still at 215, went out for 3.28 km and even ran 1.05 km of it.

Have you bought your Garmin yet Riley???? Find an old 305 which will do you good service, eBay, try not to pay more than $100 for it..........

Food portion size. Sad to say but get out a measuring cup and start measuring out portion size. I had no idea just how small a 1/2, 3/4 or full cup size was exactly which is what most portions are. My problem, and I fear for most of us, is that we simply eat too much. I can eat ice cream but the portion size is like 1/2 a cup and that is not a whole lot of ice cream! Before my portion of ice cream was probably in about the 4 cup range, and that is probably about 800 to 1000 calories. A Big Mac for example I think is 540 calories so it shows how it is not a case of what you are eating but how much of it you are eating.

LSXtasy, gotta love a girl like that one you have, what a great story and hug that women for both changing her life direction and staying on the path. Great partner, not a lot like that!

Cheers,

Garry

She is a great woman (and not just for putting up with me). I was pretty jaded post divorce and never expected to be with someone like her or to even have two great kids that I never knew that wanted. Things are good and it's nice to be inspired by someone close to me. Stay inspired, don't give up. It'll be tough but you'll be stronger in the end if you stick it out.

Good evening LSXtasy,

How odd. Sounds so similar. I was really turned off ever dating someone again after my ex left. Hopefully my logic is not so far off taking me to this conclusion though. I had so totally trusted my ex and in my choice of being with her and that she truely and really loved me. When I discovered how betrayed I was, I was really shaken and left with the thought of how I could ever trust myself again to feel that way. If I was so off base that time I could I ever think of risking myself in that way with another person again?

It took me a year to even think about going on a date. Some terrific women since then and then I met my current gf. It really took a lot of soul searching to be able to put myself out there emotionally. It is still a huge struggle for me now some 2 years later. Thankfully she understands where I am and where I'm coming from and what I've come through to get to this stage and somehow she sees something in me that is making it all the worthwhile for her to have done this. She has two kids, grown and gone so it is the three of us when my son is here and they seem to really adore each other. She is very supportive of my parenting and the time that I devote to my son which takes away from my time with her. I've told her repeatly that I don't deserve her and that I am not sure why she stays with me but there must be something she sees in me that I don't see in myself.

I had thought about stomach surgery when I was with my ex who was dead set against it but with my gf she totally understood why I was thinking about it and she was also wanting to deal with her food addication as well and did all the research and leg work for mom, her and I to ge this done and if she did nothing else for me in my life ever this was a really great gift to share with her. I'm not sure if I'd have done it myself, strength in numbers you know! We pull each other along, pick the other up when they are down and get boosted ourselves when we need it.........

It is good to know that life can be good again.

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning LSXtasy,

I know, the Chicago even looks excellent! Unlike the Race the Base here that was $3000to enter the entry fees for that event are so reasonable. Plus it sounds like a lot of CCF members are going to be there, competing and viewing, so it would be a great fellowship opportunity.

But as always for me distance conspires against me.

Maybe I'll have to use up some of my Airmiles to attend and be on a pitcrew??!!

Cheers,

Garry

A miserable wind from the north as I went out the door this morning, almost enough to turn me around and make me go on my treadmill. But I decided to forge ahead (not unlike pistons I'm sure!!) and while I had in my dreams last night entertained the thought of doing an interval 10 km it turned out to be an interval 3.5 km instead!

They recommend that when you start running to begin with alternating segments, run a minute, walk a minute and then the following week 2 and 1 and so forth and then after 10 weeks when you are running 10 and 1's you're ready to do your first race.

Some people run without walk breaks, some people do it in 10 and 1.

It is always a challenge to follow the schedule though and to not push yourself which is sadly how most people get hurt and then get discouraged and then give up. There are a number of programs to get you running but starting with 1/1 and going up every week seems to be the most successful.

Hopefully the wind moves somewhere else. On the plus side we can actually notice it getting brighter, earlier in the morning which is a real problem for me. There is a time, at its worst, when it is 8:45 am and dark and 3:45 pm and dark again. Very hard on the system and emotionally. But as hump day is past now for about 2 1/2 weeks we can take comfort in knowing that it is getting better from here on!

Cheers,

Garry

I think I could run for a minute and walk for a minute and increase that..... oh wait, you didn't say how many segments you had to alternate. I was thinking of just one segment.:D

Good morning Riley,

Well, lets be honest. If you did one segment you'd still be ahead of a good chunk of the population especially our age/gender. But try 5 and see how it goes. If there are no pains then go for 10. If you can do 10, which ends up being a total of 20 minutes, 10 of running and 10 of walking then you are well on your way!

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning Riley,

So no change in weight still, 10 days now but not a worry.

Did another morning of 1/1 reps, a bit longer distance this time and a bit faster as well but not because of trying harder, it just turned out that way.

Much easier at -22 with no wind than -11 with a 40 km gust, it was so comfortable this morning.

As well I have another suggestion. About three weeks ago I started to keep track of exactly what it is I eat in a day, # calories etc. on some yellow 3M Post-it-notes. Just to make sure I don't think that I'm ahead of the curve on any one day and it is surprising what I've forgotten that I've eaten in the morning by the time evening rolls around. A good reminder of just how much I'm still eating.

As for running in the winter, use a short stride. Nothing worse than slipping while at full extension. Save that for the ice-free season. Good posture important, as much as it seems counter intuative, try not to lean forward when you are running, it will reduce the diameter of your airways. When doing the walking segement try to walk as fast as possible, don't come to a dead crawl or when you start the running segement you'll pay for it! I actually put more effort into my walking segements than my running segements in the winter.

It sure did feel great though. I can't wait to start 2/1's and also to see more sunlight.

Cheers,

Garry

So ignored my own advice. Went for my first short run this morning, 2.67 km, no walking breaks, sub 6:30 pace. Oh well, not like the days of old but I have to start someplace and all in all the goal was to just make it to the highway and back without givin gup and I managed that. Looks like training for the 2013 running season has begun!

Goal - to get myself in as good a shape as Manny et al. are doing to do with my Z06!

I wonder what the equivalent of 800 plus rwhp is in shp (shoe horse power!)??!!

Cheers,

Garry

That's great! Love the analogy. A bunch of us at work are going to do Tough Mudder this year. Check out the site and see if it's for you. It's an awesome motivator. Keep up the good work.

Good afternoon LSXtasy,

OK now that looks crazy!

I hate wet feet though.

People here like to do the Death Race to prove their metel.

Thre is a 250 km, 4 day walk in Holland that I've been sort of thinking about. And one race I thought looked brutal was called the Leadville 100 - 100 miles in 24 hours at like 12,000 feet!

My most difficult was prepping for my first 10 km on a forest/swamp trail called "Don't Get Lost in the Woods". Final day before the race I went with one of the people who organized this and guess what - we got lost - had to cover 18 km on sand, swamp and going up and down and oh the mosquitoes!

But doing things like this can be so much fun. I like to think that once you become a runner you really become a part of a very small segement of the population and the farhter you go the smaller the group becomes that can perform at that level.

And being able to do your Mudder with a group is to great too. I wish that I lived in a n area with some good runners. We've got some elitist types locally but not just plain ordinary slum runners for shits and giggles stuff.

I clocked in a few more km on the dike in Peace River this afternoon but it was -12 at my place and -18 with a wind there so lets just say that I didn't stay out for more than 25 minutes!

What sort of training are you going to do for this race??

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.