N

navion

Just happened to be under the hood this morning checking things and happened to check my clutch fluid. Holy crap! There is only 1900 kms. on the car and it is black as the ace of spades. Looked up maintenance for the clutch in manual and it says replace every 2 years. I can just imagine what it will look like in 2 years if it this black after just a few kms. It is a big job to change it properly on the ZR1 and perhaps all C6's are the same. So my questions are as follows:
1. Should I worry about changing it at this time given the small # of kms. on the car?
2. Rather than do a complete change out of the fluid, just wondered about getting a small hand pump from somewhere and just pumping from the cylinder? Also would need to keep pushing in the clutch to get as much as possible out of the system I suspect?
3.Having never changed clutch fluid before, when I finally add new fluid, do I need to pump the clutch after adding and if so, how do you know when enough is enough.
Sorry if this seems pretty basic to all you mechanical guys but having never had to drain a clutch system before, I don't want to make any mistakes with a new car. Thx. for any advice or tips from the experts.

Not knowing the history of the car, why not do a complete maintenance on it?
Why take a chance? -- That 1900 clicks could have been track time -- who knows.

There is a thread on clutch fluid change somewhere in which Manny posted a link to proper maintenance on it.

Do a search. I'm sure you'll find it.

Aren't you coming to Manny's again soon to get the clear bra finished up? Why don't you get him to do it while he's fixing the headlights.

Search "Ranger flush" on the other forum I told you about.

My buddy said his was black with only a few drives on the car. Like that from brand new.

You use a bigger syringe, suck out the dirty fluid, add new fluid, pump the clutch pedal 30 times ( car off ) and do the steps all over again..... takes between 3-5 times to get it cleaner then just watch it and do it every now and then.

Brian

Colin, I know for a fact that there was absolutely no track time on the car when I bought it. I will follow Manny's suggestion and follow the process outlined in the web site that Manny provided. I looks like a very simple process and only a couple of hours to do it myself. Thx. for the heads up on the link.

Colin, I know for a fact that there was absolutely no track time on the car when I bought it. I will follow Manny's suggestion and follow the process outlined in the web site that Manny provided. I looks like a very simple process and only a couple of hours to do it myself. Thx. for the heads up on the link.

I admire your confidence and trust. -- and you're welcome.

I've done mine using The "Ranger" method and it sure helps . I've swapped it maybe 8 or 10 times and it's much cleaner now . I'm going to do it several more times .
I've read that when you eventually get it clean, it tends to stay that way .

Well, job is done! Took about an hour after picking up fluid and plunger. Pretty simple actually and it took 4 attempts before all was clear. However, this is still a band aid fix and it should really be put on the hoist and done properly. Of course, when you have it done by someone else, there are always risks associated with having it done by others, even the GM dealer.
P.S. It is snowing here very hard for the 12th of May and the ground here is white where I am. Didn't somebody say spring is here?

Well, job is done! Took about an hour after picking up fluid and plunger. Pretty simple actually and it took 4 attempts before all was clear. However, this is still a band aid fix and it should really be put on the hoist and done properly. Of course, when you have it done by someone else, there are always risks associated with having it done by others, even the GM dealer.
P.S. It is snowing here very hard for the 12th of May and the ground here is white where I am. Didn't somebody say spring is here?

They did, and they are sadly mistaken.
----------------
There are always risks...but fewer risks if done by someone who's done it b4 a time or 2 and knows exactly what they are doing.

Good luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.