0f2f69428d0da87d383a36a4dee49d4f_33e5b242f049eede1f054815c53d0c191bb6e7cd.jpg

Ahhhh yes.... . Brings back memories of Larry and I many years ago fishing on Winnifred Lake during the Cold Lake Air Force base Maple Flag week. Scared the hell out of us....

View attachment 95527
Similar at Hamilton Airport. When reconstructing the airport way back in 83-84, we were doing surveys off the north end of the runway. The snowbirds were in practicing , you could see the lights approaching, if you looked, but you could not hear them. Yep scared the hell out of us.

Similar at Hamilton Airport. When reconstructing the airport way back in 83-84, we were doing surveys off the north end of the runway. The snowbirds were in practicing , you could see the lights approaching, if you looked, but you could not hear them. Yep scared the hell out of us.
Two F18's came out at tree top level at us. We didn't hear them coming either.... Both were exceeding speed of sound and the huge BOOM...BOOM had me almost jump out of the boat.... Lodge owner told us they are not suppose to break the sound barrier outside of the air weapons range but the lake borders the edge of it so it happens sometimes. He has lost his big plate glass window several times. One phone call and they pay him for it immediately...lol...

Flying just a little closer to the ground. London, Ontario's Musican/Bandleader and Unlimited Hydroplane racer Guy Lombardo stops for some refreshment. Tempo VI waits in the lot!

late40sBootsDriveInMissouriRoute66_n.jpg

Hydroplane racing[edit]​

Lombardo was also an important figure in Step Boat speedboat racing, winning the Gold Cup in 1946 in his record-breaking speedboat, Tempo VI, designed and built by John L. Hacker. He then went on to win the Ford Memorial competition in 1948 and the President's Cup and the Silver Cup in 1952. From 1946 to 1949, Lombardo was the reigning U.S. national champion. Before his retirement from the sport in the late 1950s, he had won every trophy in the field. In 1959 Lombardo was attempting a run on the absolute water speed record with the jet engine-powered Tempo Alcoa when it was destroyed on a radio-controlled test run doing over 250 miles per hour (400 km/h).[19] After the destruction of the Tempo Alcoa, Lombardo retired from hydroplane racing. In 2002 he was inducted into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame for his accomplishments.

The picture above without all the people in it was made into a puzzle the wife and I did some years back..

And...link and pic

Story of the Lancaster on the gas station.

View attachment 95742
We'd probably be surprised at how little they paid for them after the war. Being static displays would have kept upkeep costs down. I read somewhere a few years back that the Lancaster at Hamilton cost $4,000.00 an hour to fly!?!?!??! ... and we complain about the cost to fill a Corvette.