Jul 14, 2011
Comox, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2021 Stingray HTC
Province
BC
I have a 1996 collector edition convertible with the LT4 and 6 speed. Almost all photos of these cars have silver/gray wheels with collector edition centers

Mine has the same style of wheel but chrome and with the standard corvette emblem. Does anyone know if this is something that was done differently because it is a canadian car or because of the LT4 or did someone just swap out the wheels or have the originals chromed? How could I tell if the where chromed? Any thoughts? I want it to be original? Help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
e7a08fc17ca81d5af9875246ecffb2a6.jpg

Last edited:
How do you like the LT4 engine? I've heard that they are under rated and some put out way more than they should. This has been verified through chassis dyno tests. Our 2005 came with the silver painted wheels. We now have the identical version in chrome and like the look. Of course, I grew up in the era when chrome was king, so that is burned into my brain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cruzin
Russ, if you look on the build sheet for your car the wheel option is QD2 and they are the painted ones. Here's a link to all the wheel options for a 96 The wheels that should be on the car are listed in there too.

WHEELS & WHEEL COVERS. Fits: Chevrolet Corvette | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

Yup. QD2 painted aluminum wheels. Same style as what I have but painted. So could someone have had these wheels polished or chromed? The zr1 style wheels were the standard on the GS and CE models.

How do you like the LT4 engine? I've heard that they are under rated and some put out way more than they should. This has been verified through chassis dyno tests. Our 2005 came with the silver painted wheels. We now have the identical version in chrome and like the look. Of course, I grew up in the era when chrome was king, so that is burned into my brain.

I think the LT4 is great! It has lots of power and is pretty quick. The car handles very well for an 18 year old car. I'm sure if I was driving a c6 grand sport I would like that as well :)

I would like to graduate to that in about 5 years.

Currently I am removing one wheel at a time and cleaning the suspension and inner fender wells of my car. Painting the some parts of the rotors. I am not much of a mechanic but I don't mind taking things apart and putting it back together. Great Fun!View attachment 1546View attachment 1547

Last edited:
I want a larger tire

A new question to put out to all of you c4 folks with knowledge.....

I am going to get new tires for my c4.

i have the 9.5 inch wheels on the front and the 10.5 inch wheels on the back...

I was thinking of getting a bit larger tires same as what are on the grand sports

From what i can read about going to the larger tire they would fit on the stock rim. Am i correct to think that....??

the 285/40/17 will fit on a 9.5 to 11 inch wide rim on goodyears specs

the 315/35/17 will also fit 10.5 to 12.5 inch wide rim on goodyears specs

Do i need to do anything to my rims to have them fit properly....I have seen people write about spacers? Why would you use a spacer, what is the purpose?

Thanks for your help with this.

if you have 9.5" fronts and 10.5" wide rears then go with 285's front and 315's rear no problem. You don't need spacers, those are for 84-87 Corvettes using the newer 17" wheels. You may, want to put fender flares on the rear, same as the '96 GS has. Otherwise the 315's will stick out around an inch depending on tire brand.

Spacers are used when adapting a wheel that has the incorrect offset for your car. If the rim isn't flush it doesn't look good, and if it's too far in might rub or not work at all. Therefore like it sounds "spacers" used to fill the gap, or make up the space giving your new wheels the correct OEM offset again.

Spacers are used when adapting a wheel that has the incorrect offset for your car. If the rim isn't flush it doesn't look good, and if it's too far in might rub or not work at all. Therefore like it sounds "spacers" used to fill the gap, or make up the space giving your new wheels the correct OEM offset again.

They talk of 9.5 wide wheels on the back of a convertible. 11 inch wide on the GS coupe. Offset is 54mm and 50mm respectively. Not sure what difference that may or may not make. If the will fit on the rim I will get them without any major changes.

Don't forget that if you change wheels and add spacers you are putting a tremendous strain on wheel bearings as well as other suspension components. Typically it is not a good idea to wander too far off the original wheel offset specifications.

I was looking at Nitto NT05 or Kumho ECSTA XS KU36 or Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 . Not a lot of brands make these sizes or even close. I don't want the ride height to go down too much. As it is it is only 3.6 inches off the ground. I want a good summer tire. Even a bit of a sticky tire UTQG of 180-220 would be ok. I'm only going to put on about 5K of kilometers per year. So if they last 4-5 years that would be good. What tires are you all running on your 93-96 c4 with the stock wheels???

I ordered a set of Nitto NT555 for my Vette today. Stayed with stock sizes. They have fairly good reviews, no worse than the michelins I was also considering. The sizes I need give me limited choices unless I change to larger wheels. I think these will be good. I will report back during the summer. April is coming you know. :)

I was looking at Nitto NT05 or Kumho ECSTA XS KU36 or Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 . Not a lot of brands make these sizes or even close. I don't want the ride height to go down too much. As it is it is only 3.6 inches off the ground. I want a good summer tire. Even a bit of a sticky tire UTQG of 180-220 would be ok. I'm only going to put on about 5K of kilometers per year. So if they last 4-5 years that would be good. What tires are you all running on your 93-96 c4 with the stock wheels???

I'm running kumho ECSTA KU36 and love them. I've always been a Nitto guy but these were cheaper and have been fantastic. I'm running a 295/35R17 on a zr1 9.5 wheel.

I looked at those as well. I decided to go with a little harder tire. I'm not too hard on tires and it was more difficult to get the Kumho locally.

I would like the get a set of 17x11x36 GS or zr1 wheels for the rear of my car...I believe the 50mm offset may not fit....which are the actual zr1 wheels I believe...the GS wheels would fit as the body width is the same for coupe and convertible in 1996.

If anyone knows of a set or just the rears let me know and I would like to have a look.

Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.