xlr8r

Power User
Apr 23, 2012
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
Well, summer has come and gone, and now it's time to put the vette away for another winter--indeed a sad time of year for me.

In the efforts to offset my recently developed mod-addiction (AKA moditis, or Mannyitis), I've decided to try to learn more about my car by doing some of the jobs myself.

Riley and I did clutch fluid earlier this year, and I'd like to think I'm a pretty good detailed (for a novice). Next up was to try changing the oil myself for the year end oil-change.

I know to many of you, this is a mundane task that you could do with your eyes closed. However, I'm always worried about doing something wrong and making matters worse.

Here's how it went--again with pics.

I got the car over to Desro Automotives--a do-it-yourself garage located in Edmonton. My ramps don't work for a car this low, and am uncomfortable with jacks. It's $20/ hour here because I sud their hoist.

Got the car up no problem. Got the drain plug of--again no problem. But here's where the fun started. The damn filter wouldn't come off. I used several filter wrenches to no avail. My headers made it tough to get any grip on the filter. I resorted to poking holes in the filter with a screwdriver to turn it. Here is the end result.

After an hour, I found a tool that looks like a grail to finally break-free. It took two seconds, and things were back to normal. On a side note, I purchased a K&N filter which has a screw on the bottom. I will be ready for this next time. I have to admit, I was getting kind of grouchy, as the clock was ticking on my hoist time.

Ok. So oil is drained. Plug and filter are off. What next? Well get ready to put the oil in--which mean lubing and putting filter back on, and same with plug, No proble. Hand tighten the filter (after lubing the gasket), and tourque the plug to 18lbs.

Next problem......I destroyed my bolt. Half of it was still in the threads in the engine. Here's what it looked like.

Thankfully I was close to a parts store and picked a new one up. I was also able to get the rest of the plug out. So what seemed like the end of the world was a minor inconvenience.

I got the new plug on, and it was time to add the oil. I don't know how much I put in, but it's filled to the middle hole on my dipstick. Is this good guys?

While under the hood, I noticed something wrong with my air filter....have a look.

This was loose for a day or two I think--and that's because the engine even sounded slightly different. I realigned, and now it looks like this....

Sum as a bug in a rug!

Now I'm out driving and getting ready to add the Stabil!

My comedy of errors is done, and I am ready for the next go around in 2015. Next up. A thread regarding some interesting detailing products I got. Just shampooed my rugs, etc etc.

Have a great fall everyone.

Last edited:
Always put a film of oil on the oil filter seal. This prevents it from gluing it self to the filter boss. Instructions are on each filter as far as how far to tighten beyond first contact, usually 3/4 - 1 turn. I have filter sockets the shape of the bottom of the GM oil filters and can be used with universals and extensions to get around most headers etc. These sockets only seem to fit GM filters and I have had others that they don't fit. Whatever, I only use GM filters anyway.

Looks like you had some fun there Vince -- welcome to the club... we've all been there and found similar issues and had to deal with them so you're not alone.
That filter was a result of someone twisting the new one on way too tight.
As Keith says: usually 3/4 to one full turn is lots and by hand as you did. Oil on the new gasket is a good practice too.

It's a shame this 'vette season is coming to a close but next spring will be here b4 we know it and we can get our beloved rides out once again.

Cheers,
Colin.

Man, I hope I don't screw anybody up here but this is another trick I learned for the C5. If you put your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and crank the motor it will not start (I am not sure what prevents it, only know on mine it will not start). This will allow you to pre lube the motor. Just crank it over for maybe 10 seconds or so and the oil pressure will come up. I do this after changing my oil and filter as well as before actually starting the car after winter storage.

I know it is a leap of faith but it works on my car.

Man, I hope I don't screw anybody up here but this is another trick I learned for the C5. If you put your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and crank the motor it will not start (I am not sure what prevents it, only know on mine it will not start). This will allow you to pre lube the motor. Just crank it over for maybe 10 seconds or so and the oil pressure will come up. I do this after changing my oil and filter as well as before actually starting the car after winter storage.

I know it is a leap of faith but it works on my car.

Ok, I'm curious...........gonna give it a try once my engine is warm and everything is lubed up.........will shut her down and give it a try. Very interesting tip if it works..........thanks!

i have filter wrenches like keith mentioned, even have 'em for the atv's lawn tractor and kubota bx25. i like the k&n filter with the hex head fitting, it simplifies the process alot. i always pre-fill an oil filter before installing it. after adding the stabilizer, go for a drive, then you have stabilized fuel through the entire system.

Hi. don't know what kind of hoist you used. But because the oil drains out of the oil pan through the front it is recomended that you have the rear of the car at least 4 inches higher than the front to ensure all the oil flows out and no particulates are left behind.
Al....

I've read this too but I don't really think it's very important. If you're changing 99% of the oil, that should be completely fine for the engine.

I suspect no dealership or oil change place is going to drain the oil that way either. Still, if I was more comfy with the jack I would do it though. A point worth mentioning for sure .

For the DIY guys, just make sure it doesn't tur to this:

oil change men vs. women

Oil Change instructions for Women:
1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.. 2) Drink a cup of coffee 3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.
Money spent: Oil Change: $20.00 Coffee: $1.00 Total: $21.00

Oil Change instructions for Men :
1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00. 2) Stop by 7/11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home. 3) Open a beer and drink it. 4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands. 5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car. 6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it. 7) Place drain pan under engine. 8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench. 9) Give up and use crescent wrench. 10) Unscrew drain plug. 11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.. 12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms.Throw kitty litter on spilled oil. 13) Have another beer while watching oil drain. 14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench. 15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off. 16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer. 17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface. 18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine. 19) Remember drain plug from step 11. 20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan. 21) Drink beer. 22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill. 23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer. 24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame. 25) Begin cussing fit. 26) Throw stupid crescent wrench. 27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy. 28) Beer. 29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow. 30) Beer. 31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil. 32) Beer. 33) Lower car from jack stands.. 34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps. 35) Beer. 36) Test drive car. 37) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence. 38) Car gets impounded. 39) Call loving wife, make bail. 40) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.
Money spent: Parts: $50.00 DUI: $2500.00 Impound fee: $75.00 Bail: $1500.00 Beer: $20.00 Total: $4,145.00 But you know the job was done right!

:D

Great post. A good chuckle or two, but only because we have all been there. There's only one way to learn so it's awesome that you are finally getting into it. Good job buddy. Keep it up.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

LOL Stephane, most of us can relate to at least some of that scenario.....(and thankfully learned from it)........:D

Thanks for the chuckle -- A very timely one at that after some uncomfortable (and expensive) dental work this afternoon.

Cheers,
Colin.

Hey Vince,

I just picked up the oil filter from the local Chev dealer in PR in preparation for the winter storage oil change. Never having done it to the Z06 before the one thing I was struck by was that this is the smallest oil filter I've ever seen. It more reminded me of the oil filter for my John Deere zero turn lawnmower than a 7 liter V8 engine. What did you think when you took yours off? The parts people say it is the right filter, just so much smaller than my other V8 engine filters I've changed.

Papers signed at the lawyer yesterday for my SR house sale, money should be deposited Friday noontime. If all comes to pass what a gret way to be thankful on Thanksgiving - besides being alive, cancer free, done harvest etc.!!!!!

Cheers,

Garry

There is a longer filter that will fit but will hang down lower than the oil pan and cross member. Not for me. If it is good enough that GM will warranty the cars, then I guess it is good enough for me. Our oil and filter get changed pretty regularly so pretty well any filter would probably do the job. Oil changed yesterday and good until next summer. Some info on these filters.

AC Delco Oil Filters: PF47 versus PF47E versus PF47F : General Chat

On carburated engine, the oil was getting way more dirty. They're was a lot of residual from bad combustion so the filter had a lot of stuff to hold but now whit fuel injected engine, low emission and good quality oil make it easier on the filters. BTW. these filters are not the smallest, some models are about 1/2 that size. :seeya:

Like Keith, I find the filter appears to be small. I just changed the oil on the Vette and Mustang and the Vettes was much smaller. Probably due to being a better engine. :D
But anyway, I don't drive it enough to come close to using up the oil in one year so I believe I'm pretty safe.

Gary.

Since I don't have a Z06, I'm not sure if we have the same filter. Mine seemed to be a size that didn't surprise me either way. I went to with the K&N filter now instead of the AC Delco because it has the nut on the bottom, and I've always that K&N was a great brand.

Congrats on a great harvest!

Gentleman,

Firstly a Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Interesting information on filters. Even compared to the more common pickup truck filters, like a Fram PH8A this one for the Z06 seems so small. But an excellent point, if they didn't think it was up to the job for this engine then they probably wouldn't have gone this route.

Cool and windy today but still 14' C and while it will cool a bit over the enxt few days at the end of the week back to back 15'C above! We're getting spoiled!

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.