Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 1SB
It's old news that the Camaro is leaving Oshawa but there have been strong indications that GM Oshawa won't last to the end of the decade although our depressed dollar might have some impact. I was told that there is a two year project beginning to demolish the 3+ million square foot truck plant and that the old car plant paint shop is going too. I guess the land would make a nice shopping mall. If GM does leave, I think I will have a few vehicles for sale. In 2009 GM of Canada was bailed out to the tune of something around $10 billion and for what. It has been my feeling for some time that GM is looking at us in the rear view mirror and only looking at China for its future. Things are not looking good.

It's old news that the Camaro is leaving Oshawa but there have been strong indications that GM Oshawa won't last to the end of the decade although our depressed dollar might have some impact. I was told that there is a two year project beginning to demolish the 3+ million square foot truck plant and that the old car plant paint shop is going too. I guess the land would make a nice shopping mall. If GM does leave, I think I will have a few vehicles for sale. In 2009 GM of Canada was bailed out to the tune of something around $10 billion and for what. It has been my feeling for some time that GM is looking at us in the rear view mirror and only looking at China for its future. Things are not looking good.

I think you hit the nail on the head OP. What was the point of bailing out GM using our tax dollars just to have them up and leave? More importantly, why wasn't it a requirement of the bailout that GM maintain operations here for at least a reasonable amount of time. I for one am calling shame on GM. They're already looking at buying billions of dollars of their stock back, but can't be bothered to remember those that saved their company.

It is my understanding that as part of the 2009 bailout GM will keep 16 percent of it's production in Canada, but that agreement runs out in 2016. The new Buick may be produced in Germany. The new Impala my be of some help but GM seems to berather vague about it's long term plans.

Our design engineer at work was also made in China.

From 1965 to 2002, GM had a huge plant in Ste-Therese, Quebec. They where building the Camaro and Firebird. In the 90' Gm threaten the government to get a loan to invest in the plant or they will shut it down and the jobs would be lost. The government finally agreed, cant remember if it was low or no interest, but GM did invest the money from the loan but closed it anyway in 2002 when they stop the production of these body style. The Ste-Therese plant had great production numbers and they could of transfom it to build other models but they didn't. Government ask GM to pay back the loan as they where no more jobs in Quebec, GM reply that they had until the end of the loan agreement to pay back so dont be surprise whit this kind of news.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.