After the discussion a while ago about insurance going up for cars over 500hp I am curious about what would happen to the C8 ZR1. I think you are safe as the 2020 C8 is under this 500hp number. Could be interesting in a few years.
I believe that a lot of the issue with insurance companies are cars modified to be over 500 horsepower, not stock production cars that are over 500hp.

So not to wrench up the conversation....but...why does HP matter so much when Torque is a way better indicator of where your power is useful. 900 HP is only available at (or near) redline. I don't know about you but I very seldom run at redline longer than a second, if I even get there. A torque profile gives you how useful the vehicle is at all speeds not just at the top end.

That said not saying I wouldn't buy a 900 hp car one day, it just wouldn't be only because it is 900hp. Of course that is a pipe dream anyway cause I can't afford one!

T

So not to wrench up the conversation....but...why does HP matter so much when Torque is a way better indicator of where your power is useful. 900 HP is only available at (or near) redline. I don't know about you but I very seldom run at redline longer than a second, if I even get there. A torque profile gives you how useful the vehicle is at all speeds not just at the top end.

That said not saying I wouldn't buy a 900 hp car one day, it just wouldn't be only because it is 900hp. Of course that is a pipe dream anyway cause I can't afford one!

T

This is true for naturally aspirated engines - FI (turbo or supercharged) will develop and sustain peak horsepower over an entire RPM range - my E93 M3 developed peak horsepower of 414 SAE at 8300 rpm - but my F80 M3 will develop 444 SAE horsepower over the entire range of 5500-7300 rpm - so it is a much bigger difference in power than the peak difference of 30 hp would suggest.

That being said - horsepower is simply torque applied over a period of time - so horsepower is a much better indicator of sustained acceleration than torque.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread