I'll wait for a 600 hp 5.5 flat crank ... if GM makes one. 900 hp is way beyond what I would be comfortable driving, need or afford. I'm guessing $150,000.

900hp.....in a street car.

Pointless.

Comes a point where high HP is good for only one thing: unzipping and measuring.

Now, chuck those big numbers in something like a powerstroke diesel and drop a 10,000 lb trailer on the back and it makes sense. On the street that is.

I'm willing to bet you couldn't get that sucker to hook up on the track, at least not until 1/4 to halfway to the end. That much power on a roundy-roundy track in the hands of the....ahem....."lesser experienced"..... is only going to see a lot of guys ripping up huge chunks of infield grass or firing it off into the bushes/barriers.

But a two seater street car? Only time you'll even touch half of what the car is capable of is when your "significant other" will be loosing their mind in the passenger seat or you're busy handing papers out your open window while saying " honestly officer......"

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the HP wars. But there comes a point where it just doesn't make sense anymore. 900 hp is about 300-400hp past that point

I suppose you could make the argument that you don't have to use it all, but then you're right back to the "unzipping" reasoning, which is a pretty poor reason to drop 100G on a two seat summer cruiser. Lets be honest here now; the number of people who are actually going to even graze this car's upper limit capabilities can probably be counted on one hand (or maybe two), and that's for ALL of North America.

I'm certainly no pro-level driver, but my stuff usually sees some track days once or twice a year. I doubt i would be comfortable pushing this thing to 75%, let alone 100%. No thanks, not for me. Got better ways to send my money that make just a big a smile on my face, maybe even a bigger smile.

Plus, I don't have a....ummm......"size" ......issue, so I'm very happy playing around the 400 hp mark. Even that is probably more than I need or can use on a day to day basis. Now,my F150 ecoboost is tickling 400 hp and 400ft/lb, but it's got the max tow package and we use it to haul our 35 foot travel trailer. But unhook the trailer and OMG does that thing ever move for a Lariat CC LB 4x4.....

Last edited:
I suppose you could make the argument that you don't have to use it all, but then you're right back to the "unzipping" reasoning, which is a pretty poor reason to drop 100G on a two seat summer cruiser.

Hmmmmm.... There's a lot of members (pun intended) that spent 100G and over on their C7's... Maybe we should poll and see how many used the unzip and measure reasoning for their purchase.. Personally I used the 'life's too short and finally I can afford it reasoning'... the unzip and measure would just have made me sad anyway....
:rofl:

Hmmmmm.... There's a lot of members (pun intended) that spent 100G and over on their C7's... Maybe we should poll and see how many used the unzip and measure reasoning for their purchase.. Personally I used the 'life's too short and finally I can afford it reasoning'... the unzip and measure would just have made me sad anyway....
:rofl:
Bang on grasshopper! I believe we met at grahams - with Derek - but, can't remember your name - sorry? I went all out ordering my C8 - well, because of what you say makes sense to me at my age. :Cheers2:

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Those numbers are absolutely insane.

I recognize the one and only one reason why GM is building this car:

To embarrass that most expensive hypercars available.

McLaren P1: 903hp, $1,500,000 - $2,000,000 (USD, used)
Ferarri LaFerrari: 949 hp, $2,900,000 - $5,500,000 (USD, used)
Porsche 918 Spyder: 874 hp, $1,300,000 - $2,000,000 (USD, used)

2019 Corvette ZR1: 755 hp, Starts at $123,000 (USD, new)
C8 Corvette ZR1: 900 hp, Starts at $130,000 USD???

In the grand scheme of things, the ZR1 is a cheap, cheap, CHEAP car for what you're getting.

Bang on grasshopper! I believe we met at grahams - with Derek - but, can't remember your name - sorry? I went all out ordering my C8 - well, because of what you say makes sense to me at my age. :Cheers2:
lol.... No. we didn't meet at Grahams. I stopped first time at Grahams to meet him 2 years ago on the way to Maple Ridge for a BD party. Maybe was the start of westfest... lol... I have been unable to make it back on the last two dates but soon I hope. Name is Eric.

DSCN7490.JPG

Those numbers are absolutely insane.

I recognize the one and only one reason why GM is building this car:

To embarrass that most expensive hypercars available.

McLaren P1: 903hp, $1,500,000 - $2,000,000 (USD, used)
Ferarri LaFerrari: 949 hp, $2,900,000 - $5,500,000 (USD, used)
Porsche 918 Spyder: 874 hp, $1,300,000 - $2,000,000 (USD, used)

2019 Corvette ZR1: 755 hp, Starts at $123,000 (USD, new)
C8 Corvette ZR1: 900 hp, Starts at $130,000 USD???

In the grand scheme of things, the ZR1 is a cheap, cheap, CHEAP car for what you're getting.
Bang on - too much power for me though!!!

Bang on - too much power for me though!!!

I don't disagree. The only time I'll want that much power is if I'm competing in Time Atack and have hill-climb wings on the front and rear to get enough downforce to take the corners!

Outside of that, or drag racing, that much power is completely useless.

I don't disagree. The only time I'll want that much power is if I'm competing in Time Atack and have hill-climb wings on the front and rear to get enough downforce to take the corners!

Outside of that, or drag racing, that much power is completely useless.

Not totally useless... Knowing it's there has some value... And when the ricer at the show and shine asks you how much horsepower, the look on his face has value too...

• Haha
Reactions: tyho
... And when the ricer at the show and shine asks you how much horsepower, the look on his face has value too...
Ugh. Bench racing. Can’t stand that.

My answer to “How fast does it go” is always “fast enough”.

I could care less what other guys think. I could care less what the numbers are.

What matters to me is lining up in the 1/4 or whi turned the fastest lap times.

“More power” doesn’t mean “faster”. It just means “more power”.

400 hp in a 2300 lb car will very often shock the living bejusus out of someone with more hp and more weight. More hp doesn’t necessarily mean you'll “win” anything besides a benchtop dyno contest.

Same as trying to get 900 hp to hook from a dig. Good luck not blowing the hides away if you’re not VERY experienced.

Or hit that 900 hp a little too hard on the way out of the apex and then wondering why the car keeps “switching ends” on you.

Or, gawd forbid, 170 mph down the 401....

900 hp might have some applications on road circuits, but it’s pointless (almost dangerous) on public streets. Gawd help us all the first tine some teenager or young 20-something gets a hold of one. And somewhere, somehow, one of them will get a hold of one of the monster C8’s....

Last edited:
Don't know why you people think it won't " hook up " it states it will be AWD there is 2000 plus HP Nissan GTR running around on the street that can put power to the ground in a much heavier car come down to our 1/2 mile Salute to Speed at the Pembroke Airport in September and see why 900 HP makes perfect sense, I will be there with my C8 wishing for another 200 HP :)

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Not many have worried too much about it hooking up... We have 1100 pls HP C7's out there turning 7+ second quarters that are hooking up just fine... Launch control is a wonderful thing...

After the discussion a while ago about insurance going up for cars over 500hp I am curious about what would happen to the C8 ZR1. I think you are safe as the 2020 C8 is under this 500hp number. Could be interesting in a few years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread