Just back from Ron Fellows for the C8 Stingray COS. They have 12 Z06's: 11 parked separately together, plus one other (Torch Red labelled car number one, with all the carbon fiber goodies) parked on the putting green outside the Clubhouse restaurant. Our instructors said they're planning to put on one Z06 COS likely starting this summer, with a reduced enrolment (less than 10 students). Many were asking they start up the Torch Red Z06 to hear the exhaust note, however the lead instructor Rick Malone was away on day 2 and no one could seem to find the keys (?). But one of the 11 Z06's went into the shop on the second day during our lunch hour and the techs were happy to start and rev it up for an appreciative audience.

Of interest, the likely plan for the Z06 COS, is to have a Stingray as the lead car on the track.

We were told instructors are allowed to drive the Z06's and Stingrays home, to get the minimum 1,500 miles on them before they're track-ready, although I didn't see anyone driving any Z06's after-hours while I was there. Apparently one of the perks of their job.

They've opened up a new course which now makes them the second longest track facility in the world (second only to the Nürburgring in Germany), however they've got plans to expand even further and become the number one facility in the world length-wise. Of interest, the new course (called Charleston Peak) is more difficult/technical and one instructor commented that the members (those who belong to the Club and drive/race their own cars year-round) are surprisingly unhappy with Charleston Peak and prefer to drive the original north/south track in particular. For that reason, they've changed plans and started running schools on Charleston Peak even though it's a more challenging course.

As usual, NO ONE in our class ran off track or damaged a C8. I was happy not to pay the extra $200 to buy down my deductible (so I kept it at $8,000 instead of a $2,000 deductible), but that's a personal choice everyone going will have to make. One instructor commented that about a month earlier, someone on the north track ran off curve 3 and into the tire wall, causing $16,000 worth of damage. So it does happen.

Pictures of the 11 Z06's shown below; I didn't take a photo of the one Torch Red by the Clubhouse:

IMG_6419.jpgIMG_6420.jpgIMG_6421.jpgIMG_6422.jpgIMG_6423.jpg

I didn't think to look at the VIN's (sorry) but assumed they were all regular production cars for the school to have/drive them. The instructors mentioned that they'd eventually go to their selling dealership: DC Motors in Anaheim, California, which reinforces my thought that they're all regular production. I was told a Ron Fellows member has a connection to that dealership; hence why they sell them to Anaheim. Ron Fellows usually sells their vehicles with less than 10,000 miles on them. The instructor I talked to about this, said he'd have no qualms buying one, in spite of its track use. Ron Fellows gives them the "once over" before letting them go; replacing fluids and making sure the brakes and tires are all AOK. He also said the cars are made to "take it" with the launches that are part of the course on the second day, which is why GM warranties the cars with launch control. I don't know if they maintain their warranty once sold by Ron Fellows, but even if they did, I'm not so sure I'd be keen to buy one, given their ++++ track use.

A few other "tidbits" that I learned at the school: for spousal ride-alongs which happen once/day (so 2 in total), your spouse can ride both times, if desired. As well and more importantly for some of us, the instructor/driver for the ride-along will "tone down" the ride and drive slower, upon request. Last year my spouse refused to go on a ride-along but perhaps she may have, had she known it could have been done slower. For any of you that have taken the COS, you get an instructor ride-along at the end of the first day and it's a ++++ wild ride. Something to think about if you're attending the COS with your spouse.

Spring Mountain cars are usually super early production vehicles and/or CTF cars. They'll get used up to 12-13000 miles before going to their selling dealer to be sold.

This is the case with C7 ZR1 cars that are now being sold as used cars. They have super early VINs (the last 4 digits). Since only about 2500 cars were built you can easily tell if a 2019 ZR1 is a SM car or not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Just back from Ron Fellows for the C8 Stingray COS. They have 12 Z06's: 11 parked separately together, plus one other (Torch Red labelled car number one, with all the carbon fiber goodies) parked on the putting green outside the Clubhouse restaurant. Our instructors said they're planning to put on one Z06 COS likely starting this summer, with a reduced enrolment (less than 10 students). Many were asking they start up the Torch Red Z06 to hear the exhaust note, however the lead instructor Rick Malone was away on day 2 and no one could seem to find the keys (?). But one of the 11 Z06's went into the shop on the second day during our lunch hour and the techs were happy to start and rev it up for an appreciative audience.

Of interest, the likely plan for the Z06 COS, is to have a Stingray as the lead car on the track.

We were told instructors are allowed to drive the Z06's and Stingrays home, to get the minimum 1,500 miles on them before they're track-ready, although I didn't see anyone driving any Z06's after-hours while I was there. Apparently one of the perks of their job.

They've opened up a new course which now makes them the second longest track facility in the world (second only to the Nürburgring in Germany), however they've got plans to expand even further and become the number one facility in the world length-wise. Of interest, the new course (called Charleston Peak) is more difficult/technical and one instructor commented that the members (those who belong to the Club and drive/race their own cars year-round) are surprisingly unhappy with Charleston Peak and prefer to drive the original north/south track in particular. For that reason, they've changed plans and started running schools on Charleston Peak even though it's a more challenging course.

As usual, NO ONE in our class ran off track or damaged a C8. I was happy not to pay the extra $200 to buy down my deductible (so I kept it at $8,000 instead of a $2,000 deductible), but that's a personal choice everyone going will have to make. One instructor commented that about a month earlier, someone on the north track ran off curve 3 and into the tire wall, causing $16,000 worth of damage. So it does happen.
They couldn’t find the keys 3 week ago when I was there either, hmmmm

They couldn’t find the keys 3 week ago when I was there either, hmmmm

Despite asking a couple different instructors, I got the same answer ("keys?") and saw none of them leaving lunch to find the keys. I suspect they can't be bothered to start up the Z06 for people: too much time and too distracting from their main program and not why they're there. So I'm not surprised you had the same "problem" and for anyone attending in future, I'd not bother asking. That said, hop across the "street" from the restaurant to the shop area, to see if they're working on any Z06's and you may have better luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.