Featured Thread

YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
THIS WAS THE EASIEST SET OF SPLASH GUARDS / MUD FLAPS THAT I HAVE INSTALLED SO FAR !!!
DID NOT HAVE TO LIFT THE VEHICLE NOR REMOVE A WHEEL ... AND AN AWESOME MONEY SAVER.

So you gotta be just a little handy with tools to do this. You will need a 7mm socket and a cleaning cloth. The Splash Guard parts are listed on many on-line dealership accessory lists with an installed price of very close to $200 each for the front set and the back set. The parts purchase price from the Parts Counter for about $90 each pair. So a DIY install will save you 50%
I would recommend that you have the correct tool for this Job (a 7mm socket/wrench). Some might think to use pliers or an adjustable wrench to remove 1 bolt for each splash guard but I would not recommend it ... besides, I am always one to be front-of-the-line for a DIY project that endorses my having to add a new tool to my Tool Box. Having the right tools always makes it look like you know what you are doing (when the "boss" walks by - if you know what I mean)
I completed my Splash Guard Mod in about an hour; not including my picture taking and a break in-between to sit in a lawn chair and sip a pop while admiring the job that was 1/2 completed.
I am posting the instruction page and a few pictures of the install.

I would recommend to begin with the
FRONT SPLASH GUARDS
First I would recommend to wash the wheels and wheel well liners.
For the Front set, you will find one bolt on the underside to remove (photo below).
You will know which bolt to remove because you will be it fastening a tab of the factory wheel well cover.
Then you can use your fingers to grab the factory cover and pop it out (pulling toward the tire)
Be careful not to let the existing guard twist so that the retainer clips are able to rub (or scratch) your painted body side.
Once the bolt is removed the factory cover, wipe the area clean of debris that might remain behind.
IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

To install the Front Splash Guard you will find that there is a tab that fits into a slot in the wheel well liner (see photo below). Make sure that you get the tab is in place before you start to clip the splash guard in. Missing this part of having the tab in the slot might result in this project becoming "Splash (mud) Flaps"! Be careful not to let the metal clips rub and scratch your painted surfaces. Once you insert the tab into the wheel well liner slot, pop the top retainer into its place. Then you can pop the retainers in place from top to the bottom. Then reinstall the bolt than you previously removed. You have now completed one splash guard installation. Repeat for the opposite front splash guard.
IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

Now that you have taken a break to admire your front installations, it is time for the
REAR SPLASH GUARDS
Looking at the underside, you will likely find that there are 3 bolts. You will also notice that the tab that the bolt secures is not visible. I am hoping the photo below will help knowing that the bolt to remove is the one furthest from the body side (see photo). With the bolt removed, you can know pop of the factory cover with your fingers. You will notice that there is a slot where the bottom tab fit in and this is also where the bottom tab of your splash guard goes as well.
IMG_2574.JPG

[/ATTACH]
IMG_2575.JPG
IMG_2578a.jpg

Now with the existing rear wheel well cover removed you can pop in your new Rear Splash Guard starting at the top clip and working your way down. Making sure that you do not allow the metal clips to rub/scratch your painted surfaces. Making sure the bottom tab is put into the slot (arrow in above photo). Then replace the bolt that you removed. Repeat for the opposite side Rear Wheel.
IMG_2580.JPG

I know many readers are handy and find this installation a no-brainer. A few would say this is so easy (because it actually is) but until you have done it, to others, "saying" and "doing" are two different things.
I am one that always pre-plans my approach to DIY. It's like making an awesome Homemade Chinese Dinner
"it's all in the preparation - as the cooking part just flows through" - yum ... I am hungry now!

Last but not least. My "boss" sometimes asks at one point during some of my DIY projects,
"Have you read the instructions"?
... so here they are ... :Banghead:
2016StingraySplashguards.jpg

I am normally proud of my instruction pages that never have a dirt or grease mark on it.
All the ones that I do get dirt or grease on, is a reminder that I was an absolute "fumble fart" on that project.
This project has a clean instruction page (above) :thumbs:

Hoping you all enjoyed this ...
let me know if you find something I should mention on this so that anyone taking on this project will have a lot of confidence knowing what they are taking on ...​

Last edited:
maybe this Mr. Tech-savvy here ... :Shifty: lingered and evoked his...
"Thread Author Photo Insertion Copyright Infringement Meter Whistle Blowing & Blocking" App :Woot:
... just kidding :Smuggrin: ...
I am so happy that you are satisfied with your "DIY Corvette modification" .. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
Her are the pics....

That looks great Paul. The back ones I really like. That will offer a lot of protection and doesn’t look like a mud flap.
The exhaust insert is really smart looking too. I haven’t ever noticed that on a C7 before. It really cleans that hole up where you can see the exhaust valve actuators normally.
The fronts I’m not in love with though. I would have thought they would have offered you a single replacement piece as the beginning of your rear add on section is tapered into the end of the factory spat matching the taper back to the wheel opening. Unfortunately you are still going to get the hits about mid rear quarter. Although the GS may not be as wide in the back as the Z06.
I went with these on my 15Z... maybe a bit F250ish but it really keeps keep the debris off my wider rear wheel openings and tie in really well with the CF side skirts. They were supposed to be on my 17 but that’s a story for a cruise somewhere sometime.

D

DBD5D939-CF0C-4790-BF2C-8C59A1BADE1D.jpeg
6E880566-83A2-4F4D-8224-60E9B9BBA5D7.jpeg

Now Derek, please don't go looking at the back end exhausts of everyone now ... as I know mine is "exposed"
I actually like the result of the filler piece as well and would consider a filler in black if available (thinking only of my detailing tasks).

As for the splash guards, true, there are options from the Z06 that blends well with the additional front end and side effects.
Some have used those with the complete aero effect add-on for the Stingray.

The splash guards used here actually are not noticed much after not too much time. At first, I was noticing them every day as the proud DIY'r.
Now, they are not as apparent to me other then when detailing all my black pieces on wash day (Derek would know what black means).
I do see the aspect of the splash guard blend for what is shown on the photo with the GS option.

I remedied my concern of side Rock chip protection with xPel (3M) from wheel-to-wheel below the mid-point crease of the doors (rather than full side panel protection).
The fella who did this for me was able to easily remove the factory 3M patch in front of the back wheels.
Should this be considered an option for anyone, it's a rather simple thing to approach any after-market service provider.
Please feel free to contact me for details and or questions.

(nice to see a Z06 in this thread - for others to fully appreciate the scope of consideration for the DIY GM accessory splash guards)

Last edited:
I would have thought they would have offered you a single replacement piece as the beginning of your rear add on section is tapered into the end of the factory spat matching the taper back to the wheel opening. Unfortunately you are still going to get the hits about mid rear quarter. Although the GS may not be as wide in the back as the Z06.

I did not come across single piece splash guards as yours in my search.....I like the look of yours. The guards I installed are basically contoured like the stock fender well pieces but extend out a little over an inch to provide some protection. As you stated, Im sure I will still get some hits as the GS is definitely wide bodied.

Lots of options available, even illuminated ones for those so inclined.....
I'd consider an illuminated scrolling verbiage option so that I can program ... "caughtcha lookin at my a$$" ... and maybe a little "somethin-somethin" for photo radar :D

oh damn ... I'm off-topic on my own thread ... :Banghead: ... nothing out of normal for me

Last edited:
Well, since we have been talking about 'additions' to our cars, ( we are not modding are we?!) Here is what I have done so far...... I ordered and installed those clips that hold the seat belt in place at the top, I have made my own (looks identical to what you can order) shelf that fits behind infotainment system, installed rear exhaust filler panel. Put on the splash guards and just ordered these.......

Attachments

• door1.jpg
    door1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 13
Well, since we have been talking about 'additions' to our cars, ( we are not modding are we?!) Here is what I have done so far...... I ordered and installed those clips that hold the seat belt in place at the top, I have made my own (looks identical to what you can order) shelf that fits behind infotainment system, installed rear exhaust filler panel. Put on the splash guards and just ordered these.......
while you are doing DIY modifications, don't forget this one :D the parts are in your delivery package pouch ...
Further discussion is in another thread ... Mobil 1

IMG_6024.jpg IMG_6025.jpg IMG_6026.jpg

If you haven't already Paul, this little add-on is absolutely a necessity...well.... two of them are for sure

View attachment 13810
I forgot ... you are absolutely correct Eric ... :thumbs:
here's the thread ...
Cosmetic

I found this vette option on ebay (it's still there) for both suede and material visor options.
She is an awesome eBay Seller ... and sees a lot of Western Canada Orders.
Both of mine are C7 - 3LT suede and
I still have one set for the material option that I did for MikeysZ06 (in the thread)
C6 version (unsure if it matches the C7)

Last edited:
SN-III / Rruuff Day..... will have to take a peak at the visor covers, and, while I did see the Mobil decal, I'll go stick it on now.... On another note, theres a handfull of Ferraris, Lambos, and Porsches' who are planning on doing a New West to Harrison Hot Springs run this Sunday. Im good friends with a couple of the participants and they invited me to go along. Its a good couple of hours..... Rain today and Sat - calling for sun on Sunday with temps 7 -12 degrees. Run flats are off and Michelins (summer) Pilot super sport ZP tires are on. Not sure if its a good idea to be driving.... thoughts based on your experience? I have never encountered an issue with any of my prior cars ( 911 - XK) with temp concern associated with tires.

SN-III / Rruuff Day..... will have to take a peak at the visor covers, and, while I did see the Mobil decal, I'll go stick it on now.... On another note, theres a handfull of Ferraris, Lambos, and Porsches' who are planning on doing a New West to Harrison Hot Springs run this Sunday. Im good friends with a couple of the participants and they invited me to go along. Its a good couple of hours..... Rain today and Sat - calling for sun on Sunday with temps 7 -12 degrees. Run flats are off and Michelins (summer) Pilot super sport ZP tires are on. Not sure if its a good idea to be driving.... thoughts based on your experience? I have never encountered an issue with any of my prior cars ( 911 - XK) with temp concern associated with tires.

You will be fine on dry roads at 10 degrees Paul with those tires. Just warm them up good. Your center display will help with that. That’s the screen I have up in September/October.
Those tires are forgiving but obviously you will have to pay attention.
Wet roads... pretty much the normal cautious wet road driving rules in effect... again once the tires are warm.

Have fun.

Now Derek, please don't go looking at the back end exhausts of everyone now ... as I know mine is "exposed"
I actually like the result of the filler piece as well and would consider a filler in black if available (thinking only of my detailing tasks).

As for the splash guards, true, there are options from the Z06 that blends well with the additional front end and side effects.
Some have used those with the complete aero effect add-on for the Stingray.

The splash guards used here actually are not noticed much after not too much time. At first, I was noticing them every day as the proud DIY'r.
Now, they are not as apparent to me other then when detailing all my black pieces on wash day (Derek would know what black means).
I do see the aspect of the splash guard blend for what is shown on the photo with the GS option.

I remedied my concern of side Rock chip protection with xPel (3M) from wheel-to-wheel below the mid-point crease of the doors (rather than full side panel protection).
The fella who did this for me was able to easily remove the factory 3M patch in front of the back wheels.
Should this be considered an option for anyone, it's a rather simple thing to approach any after-market service provider.
Please feel free to contact me for details and or questions.

(nice to see a Z06 in this thread - for others to fully appreciate the scope of consideration for the DIY GM accessory splash guards)

Lots of good points here Spence. It think you have given Paul the best tip so far. The Xpel on the back quarters is exactly what I did too. And yes that pathetic little clear bandaid from the factory comes off. I have seen a mark on the Expel after the one run we did in the fall last year and it healed. Amazing stuff.

I’ll try and be subtle when checking out rear ends... but I will be looking now. That filler piece in black.. cough cough or carbon fibre would be my choice.

You will be fine on dry roads at 10 degrees Paul with those tires. Just warm them up good. Your center display will help with that. That’s the screen I have up in September/October.
Those tires are forgiving but obviously you will have to pay attention.
Wet roads... pretty much the normal cautious wet road driving rules in effect... again once the tires are warm.

Have fun.

I thinks so ddgernan. Did a bit of reading on them and it seem to confirm that its OK to go out with them but dont be stupid. Pretty much what u said.

Reactions: ddgermann
SN-III.... yes, I see some xPel in the near future. I plan on getting some wrap on the hood as in the attached pic so may as well get the bottom done for rock chips.

Paul ask for the “Highway package” and add on the side skirts and back quarters. This gives you coverage on the entire front halfway up the hood and down to the splitter. (I had my splitter done too)
It also does the mirrors and a few other spots. Basically you can put this stuff anywhere on the car. I’ve got it along the door edges etc too.

There are plenty of guys who do the entire car and it looks great.
Some Xpel threads on here too with lots of pics for you to see the vulnerable spots on Corvettes.
The dealerships will charge a lot more to install it than a detailing shop. Lots of opinions on the best shops too. I’m sure there are good ones in your neck of the woods.

Bottom line... bits of the car or whole car.. get it ASAP before you mark up your paint.

Cheers

D

Users who are viewing this thread