ILOVEIT
RIP
You're 5 You're a Regular You're Celebrated
May 27, 2017
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
2008 Corvette 6M
I have to replace the original windshield in my 2008 C6 coupe. I've replaced many windshields in my other cars and trucks over the years without any concerns. The Corvette is different and the change out worries me.

I`m concerned about possible damage to the body, dash (with HUD), mouldings and panels that have to be removed, etc. And then I`ve heard stories about a bad seal on the replacement glass itself, leaks or wind noise or vibration. Maybe I am paranoid but this is my baby!

Can any of you recommend a shop in Edmonton that will understand my concerns, has experience with higher end cars, and will do the job right?

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Brent ... if a trip to Calgary is possible ... I have the perfect place for you.
An awesome man that I have known for over 20 years has a Shop.
I first met him as a New GM Dealer Salesman who later became a New GM Dealer Sales Manager.
He has since started his own Auto Glass Replacement Business.
My name/referral might save a penny or two as well.
He does all my replacements and chip fills.

- maybe Sept Friday before the Drumheller Cruise if possible -
(then start the cruise with us from Calgary up to Red Deer)
(or sooner ... yours to choose)​

Last edited:
Brent ... if a trip to Calgary is possible ... I have the perfect place for you.
An awesome man that I have known for over 20 years has a Shop.
I first met him as a New GM Dealer Salesman who later became a New GM Dealer Sales Manager.
He has since started his own Auto Glass Replacement Business.
My name/referral might save a penny or two as well.
He does all my repalcements and chip fills.

- maybe Sept Friday before the Drumheller Cruise if possible -
(then start the cruise with us from Calgary up to Red Deer)
(or sooner ... yours to choose)​
I was going to PM you about this at Mikes suggestion but didn't get a chance to do that yet. Thank you! Will keep that in mind as I see how this unfolds!

I have to replace the original windshield in my 2008 C6 coupe. I've replaced many windshields in my other cars and trucks over the years without any concerns. The Corvette is different and the change out worries me.

I`m concerned about possible damage to the body, dash (with HUD), mouldings and panels that have to be removed, etc. And then I`ve heard stories about a bad seal on the replacement glass itself, leaks or wind noise or vibration. Maybe I am paranoid but this is my baby!

Can any of you recommend a shop in Edmonton that will understand my concerns, has experience with higher end cars, and will do the job right?

Visit Amad at Champion Auto Glass 149 street and 120 ave..... super nice guy and great service. It is his business ( him and his son ) and he really cares about customers..... he said he has done the C6 Corvettes. Just called and asked.

And ask me about some glass stuff for after that stops chips and cracks.

B

I was going to PM you about this at Mikes suggestion but didn't get a chance to do that yet. Thank you! Will keep that in mind as I see how this unfolds!
No worries ... as you know, I have already had my C7 replaced and I was able to get GM HUD glass.
I was told by my Auto Glass friend that there is no "cheap glass" available for the C7 (yet !),
but it would be very important that "cheap glass" is not used if available for your C6.
A good question to ask any dealer would be "how do I know that cheap glass is not used"?
Auto Glass Dealers have a few names for this "cheap glass" and many will not use it.
It would be my hope that there is not a "cheap glass" option for the C6 for a dealer to use it.
I will send a text to my friend about it and see what he says ...

Last edited:
I'm going to be following the outcome on this as well. Some 20 or 25,000 km of Alberta roads in the non-winter seasons and my windshield looks like I drive down gravel roads all the time. Well maybe minus the most recent one which I caused trying to repair my drooping rear view mirror.

At any rate I'm aghast at having to drop $2,300 or so for a HUD Z06 windshield so if someone has luck with a good price and someone who knows the arcane art of Corvette windshield replacement I'd like to know of this myself.............

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: Brent08
I had my car in for replacement this past Thursday. They had told me they had one one HUD glass in their system and could have it in that day.

A few hours later when it arrived they called saying it was the correct HUD glass it didn't have the "GPS" connections,

I do not have nav in my car, they are referring to this box pictured which is OnStar antenna I believe. I picked up my car and will have to reschedule as they are searching for correct glass.

They have not updated me on this at all as of Saturday morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    704.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    617.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1547.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 40

Check out company "Brite-View Glass", 4 locations in Edmonton 780-485-0247. Has done my vehicle for years including my C6.

Prices people, prices!
Crystal Glass had quoted me $1100 but as noted above the glass was wrong. This was a premium glass from a major major American manufacturer, not "cheap" glass. I had received prices from others as high as $2500 for OEM glass.

Yep, that is what I was getting was above the 2K mark and that was just a case of sticker shock so that is why I have been putting it off. Given the additional cracks and chips I seem to get every time I take the Z06 on the road I always am telling myself I did the right thing by delaying but the most recent crack is showing a desire to be eye level on the drivers side for once..............

Yep, that is what I was getting was above the 2K mark and that was just a case of sticker shock so that is why I have been putting it off. Given the additional cracks and chips I seem to get every time I take the Z06 on the road I always am telling myself I did the right thing by delaying but the most recent crack is showing a desire to be eye level on the drivers side for once..............
Sounds like you and I both have the same situation going on with our windshields. After almost 10 years of sandblasting from our city streets/highways, multiple bullit type chips filled I wanted to replace it anyway. After recently getting my first crack which extends from the middle of the drivers A pillar to the center of drivers vision I can't put it off any longer. I did not realize new glass would be hard to get.

I'm hoping that I won't have problems finding one, just that I don't want to be paying more for the windshield that I would if I replaced all four tires. My Mustang convertible that I love to troll around in these days cost me less than the windshield might end up setting me back. I mean I realize that it will be more expensive than my Sentra windshield would be ($350 installed) but by a magnitude of 6 or 7 times, well I just struggle to wrap my head around that.

Too many gravel trucks up here or semi's period that I end up getting meeting on the road that either have not cleaned off their trailers or the vortex throws up road debris.

I remember a few years back when a friend was up visiting from San Jose and he could not believe the condition of the windshields on the vehicles here. On the other hand I remember going to see him when he lived in Atlanta and being surprised that I don't think I ever saw a vehicle on the road with a crack or impact mark.

I keep hoping someone will come up with an experience of some place that did excellent work and didn't gouge on the price.

Still unsure as well of the use of a non-HUD windshield in a HUD car. Some have reported just minor reductions in clarity but a significantly lower price. And if it is going to get cracked and pitted again in a short time anyway I've thought about this as something I might want to consider.

Cheers,

Garry

An interesting suggestion.

I also seem to have a memory of some type of plastic sheet you could have applied to the glass to give it some additional protection. Was I just imagining things or has anyone heard of such a product??

Cheers,

Garry

Here is a windshield coating that a number of members acquired back in May. Brian (2009CGMZR1) knows where the retailer in Edmonton is for this product. I put it on mine back in May. Easy to do yourself if you can read and follow directions...lol...Haven't been hit by a rock or anything so don't know for sure but if it helps, it was definitely worth the $80.00. Makes the shield super easy to clean bugs off too...

http://www.dfisolutions.com/surfaces-we-improve/automotive/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.