May 3, 2017
Calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2007 LeMans blue Z06
Province
AB
IMG_1396.JPG
One of the things I had noticed when I bought my car is when the rear hatch is open. It seems GM was going to make a recessed area for your hand to assist in closing the rear hatch/deck lid and somewhere along the line,they didn't quite finish it. This is my rear hatch open with the resessed area visible. Other than to help with closing the hatch,what do you guys think this could be for? I'm puzzled. Mine has no lip type thing for fingers so it's basically a rectangular recessed spot. When I close my lid,I pull it down with 2 fingers through the deck latch.

IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG
Nope,it's the oddest thing. I'm curious if Brent08 and Brian's cars are the same. Here's another shot of the area in question and the inside.There's just no reason for it to be there.

Last edited:
Mike, what your doing with fingers through the latch is a potential finger remover if you ever slip.
The recess is there so that you can gently lower the hatch onto the lock and not let it drop down.
I've changed a few locks because people just slam the hatch down to close it and smash the lock.
It can also shatter the glass on the hatch if it doesn't hit square which I've seen also!
The proper way to close the hatch is to lower it to the lock with your thumb in the pocket to keep it from dropping and then a gentle push down and the lock will pull the hatch down snugly by itself
If your lock doesn't do this after you try it this way your locks already broken and it will around $200.00 for a new lock mechanism which is easy to fix yourself.
Hope this explaines it for you.
Cheers Rob

Mike, what your doing with fingers through the latch is a potential finger remover if you ever slip.
The recess is there so that you can gently lower the hatch onto the lock and not let it drop down.
I've changed a few locks because people just slam the hatch down to close it and smash the lock.
It can also shatter the glass on the hatch if it doesn't hit square which I've seen also!
The proper way to close the hatch is to lower it to the lock with your thumb in the pocket to keep it from dropping and then a gentle push down and the lock will pull the hatch down snugly by itself
If your lock doesn't do this after you try it this way your locks already broken and it will around $200.00 for a new lock mechanism which is easy to fix yourself.
Hope this explaines it for you.
Cheers Rob
Yeah ok,that makes a lot of sense Rob. I can see what you mean as I just tried it that way. All I do with my fingers in the latch is just pull it down to 4/6 inches from the closed position. I'm reading your reply like you think I'm pulling it down and pulling my fingers away before it slams home. I pull it down to that point and then with the heel of my hand,push it shut. I don't drop it from any height nor with any force.

But yes,looking at that area now,that's what it's for. Thanks for your tip Rob and ahhh,about those tshirts/hats. You still have any?

Ironically they fixed this... in the C7. It has the recess in the same place but has a lower lip you can grab onto when the hatch is open as you explained Mikey. That is GM designers for you. They will get it right...eventually.. Just give them a decade :Shifty:

Ironically they fixed this... in the C7. It has the recess in the same place but has a lower lip you can grab onto when the hatch is open as you explained Mikey. That is GM designers for you. They will get it right...eventually.. Just give them a decade :Shifty:
Go figure. I think the guy working in Bowling Green responsible for that part was on coffee break when my car came down the line.

I'll be interested to hear SN-IIIs take on this. We looked at a car indentical to mine in Edmonton a couple of weeks ago and it had one like yours. I asked him his thought on whether it looked OEM.... kinda gave me a funny look. We couldn't come to a conclusion. I'm waiting on Brent08 to verify his C6.

I am looking forward to doing a visual poll at the next show & shine with c6's as this part does look like a perfect fit.
The part even appears to have angles on it to fit snug against the hatch panel.
The thing that grabs me is that there is no predrilled holes or anything to hint that an optional part has been excluded / or can be added.
But I will truly admit ... the part is necessary as it is very hard to not finger-print the hatch exterior when putting the hatch down.
It would be interesting to know if the part screws into something behind or just to the plastic panel
but I am also not asking anyone to take their C6 apart due to my curiosity​

Reactions: MikeysZ06
0a4aa78920372a96c94ebe6452d51774.png

Part #13 in the illustration above

10352027-2.jpg

2005-2007 C6 Corvette Rear Hatch Handle OEM 15218387
the screws must be another OEM part # (of course:Shifty:)
Check and see at your next GM Dealership Parts Dept visit
ahh nuts ... :Banghead: discontinued part ... except one place so far

15218387 - Genuine GM HANDLE, Rear Compartment

eBay has a Seller who has 4 of these but thinks Corvette owners are money pits :Rage:

Last edited:
Reactions: Brent08
I have the same recessed area in my 2008 coupe as you do Mikey, no cover plate or any indication that one should be there. I've always lowered it to the point when the motor gently closes the lid. This always leaves finger prints. If I've freshly cleaned the car I grab a microfibre towel I keep under the drivers seat and wipe them off.

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Ya, something ( motor ) closes the hatch once you slam it down ( ok, no slamming )

Yes Brent, hate the fingerprints too..... they should have finished this idea ---- dumb

B
You'll have to show me that feature..I just tried mine between posts now.Nothing like that on my car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread