Nov 14, 2011
Jarvis Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1988 Convertable
C4- The Rodney Dangerfield of the Corvette Community.

I always see lots of bashing of the C4. Without a doubt it is the least popular of the Corvette generations. So it is nice for us C4 guys to read a positive slant on our cars for a change. In fact, since I bought my 88 I think the world is starting to do a bit of an about face on the subject. Of course this could be because the C4 is the cheapest way to get a good quality car and get out driving.

The following is a link to an article I just read. Although there is a couple of inaccuracy's in it, this is a good look at the mid-80's car that was a way ahead of it's time.

The C4 , The Car that Defined A Generation

Enjoy.

I think they were way ahead of their time. I was 17 in high school when they were first introduced. I remember reading all about them in the magazines and wanting one so bad. A lot of things came together at the right time for that generation...computers, fuel injection, tire technology. A lot of people in the late 70's were critical of GM for not coming out with a new Vette but if you read Dave McLellan's book you'll find that technology wasn't ready for the new Vette he had in mind.

Loved 'em from day 1 -- ('83-'84)

.....so much so I bought one. Even going across country to get it and drive it home with help from our friend Steamer.:D

I think the C4's are 'art on wheels' and am very happy to be the beneficiary of such possible dubious popularity.

As Tony has suggested: it will be difficult to choose which of my 2 to drive.

Great article Brian. Thanks for sharing.

----- proud owner of a C4.

C.

The C5s and C6s are full of computers and electronic modules. That's fine but already GM is discontinuing some of this stuff for C5s which could disable a perfectly good car if you can't get a critical piece. C4s could get a lot more popular over the next few years. I know they too have some electronics but not to the level of the newer stuff. Add to that the fact that GM doesn't seem to have a handle on some of the Active Handling bugs and it gets a little worrisome. I could still see me with a nice LS powered Chevelle with only one computer to worry about.

The C5s and C6s are full of computers and electronic modules. That's fine but already GM is discontinuing some of this stuff for C5s which could disable a perfectly good car if you can't get a critical piece. C4s could get a lot more popular over the next few years. I know they too have some electronics but not to the level of the newer stuff. Add to that the fact that GM doesn't seem to have a handle on some of the Active Handling bugs and it gets a little worrisome. I could still see me with a nice LS powered Chevelle with only one computer to worry about.

Here you go Keith. All packaged up and ready to go from GM. :D

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-cpsls34l65e/overview/

Would be a nice addition to my old Shark. :driving:

All I need is a rust free Chevelle and the temptation might just be too much to resist. I still have a ton of NOS and used Chevelle parts although the old distributors, points, condensers and stuff might not be of much use. ;)

All this chatter about C4's -- Might it be just the right time to buy Kent's from him?

Or might it be a good time for Kent to keep it and wait for more appreciation in the not too distant future? Sounds like some upside to come.

Once again Brian: a Great article.....The comments I read were mostly positive tho a few were 'backhanded' compliments.......

Having loved the car since its inception in '83 I don't understand why it doesn't get its share of attention......yet. :D

Looking forward to joining the C4 crowd later this month. No mods tho. She'll stay bone stock ...... (well maybe and intake. But that's it... I swear)

Colin.

Not trying to spend your money for you but what's wrong with having 2? Michelle would love one wouldn't she?:D

C.

I'd be looking for a new place to live and that would cost me a lot more than Kent's C4!!!

You know, the reason why I don't think the C4 gets the respect it deserves is because the engines for the first few years didn't have the hp like the Corvettes of old. Plus issues with the cross fire and stuff for the first few years. Claims of shaky cowls, blah, blah, blah.

I like the C4's a lot more now than I did years ago.....and actually the same thing can be said about the C5! :D I got a ride in Fender's 87 a couple years ago and it was pretty darn fun.

I really like the styling of the 93-96 especially. IF I had room in a garage, I would love one but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to enjoy other peoples.

You know, the reason why I don't think the C4 gets the respect it deserves is because the engines for the first few years didn't have the hp like the Corvettes of old. Plus issues with the cross fire and stuff for the first few years. Claims of shaky cowls, blah, blah, blah.

I like the C4's a lot more now than I did years ago.....and actually the same thing can be said about the C5! :D I got a ride in Fender's 87 a couple years ago and it was pretty darn fun.

I really like the styling of the 93-96 especially. IF I had room in a garage, I would love one but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to enjoy other peoples.

Na....think positive Riley -- It's only a matter of time before J. get the bug and gets a real car.:) (and don't you dare tell her I said that.) :D

C.

Hmmmmmm. Not sure if that will ever happen...and I hope not because then she may want to come on this forum then she'd find out what kind of shenanigans I get up to! :D If I had the room and funds, I think an LT4 C4 would be fabulous!

All this chatter about C4's -- Might it be just the right time to buy Kent's from him?

Or might it be a good time for Kent to keep it and wait for more appreciation in the not too distant future? Sounds like some upside to come.

Once again Brian: a Great article.....The comments I read were mostly positive tho a few were 'backhanded' compliments.......

Having loved the car since its inception in '83 I don't understand why it doesn't get its share of attention......yet. :D

Looking forward to joining the C4 crowd later this month. No mods tho. She'll stay bone stock ...... (well maybe and intake. But that's it... I swear)

Colin.

Might it be just the right time to buy Kent's from him? Well i am now excepting all offers, so for a lucky some one they will get a very nice turn key 1988 C4 that looks and runs as new.My wifes health is not great and as said i must sell this fantastic car there is just no other way around it.

Kent

Keith my friend i can make you a killer deal on a sweet 1988 C4 that has no drama in fact you know this car very well, lets talk you know you should.:D

Kent

All I need is a rust free Chevelle and the temptation might just be too much to resist. I still have a ton of NOS and used Chevelle parts although the old distributors, points, condensers and stuff might not be of much use. ;)

Well no, what you need to do is buy Kents sweet 88C4 :rofl: :D

Kent

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.