Mr S Class

I'm New Here
May 22, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette C8
Province
AB
Hi everyone, i just took the delivery of my new c8 a week ago and after driving 1 hour every day, very strong burning smell and also smoke comes out of the transmission. i never pushed very hard, even if i accelerated hard couple of times, it was below 4000 rpm. it is my first corvette so not sure that if it is normal.

Also this is some noise comes out from the engine bay, it gets louder when put it into z or sport mode. Not sure if that is normal too. so far not a good experience.

Mine stunk al the way home and in my garage but is fine now. Its just oil and paint fumes flashing off. Changing modes will give you different exhaust sounds.Probably what you are hearing.

I agree with others here. I had some smell issues at the very beginning. Just the oils etc. burning off the hot engine and exhaust. It went away in the first week. I still get an annoying squeal in the breaks which I am not happy with but it is intermittent and from what i have read, common on the Z51 pkg cars. I am at 8800 km's now and hope to put on another 1K this week if the weather holds up. Should be good Wednesday to Sunday. One last kick at the can before hibernation.

@Mr S Class
The DCTs have been a problem, with some leaking right from the factory.
Better check that if your car still stinks after 10 drives.

My still stinks after the first 3 drives. Smells like I am roasting insects on the engine. Guessing these engines are not run on a dyno before being inserted into the vette.

There is something in the owner's manual about the car cutting you off at 4000 RPM during break-in to save the engine. Hope you are not pushing the car. Too early.

It doesn't cut you off at 4k, but the red line on the tach is set that way until 803KM's
I found that out the hard way. Was using the paddle shifters and meant to shift up a gear but went down another gear. Went way past the red line. Even in auto setting if you put it in passing gear it will go past 4 grand.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I found that out the hard way. Was using the paddle shifters and meant to shift up a gear but went down another gear. Went way past the red line. Even in auto setting if you put it in passing gear it will go past 4 grand.
I did that too. Paddles take some getting used to.

Reactions: kerry4 and ABC
I know the thread is getting away from the OP but it's so silly that the car will downshift and won't let you upshift if going to slowly, but you'd think it would keep you from selecting a gear too low when it will obviously hit the rev limiter.

I was about 60 kilometres away from the full break-in period before I stored it last week. Guess it will have to wait until spring to hit that 800 K mark.

Attachments

• PHOTO-2020-11-03-12-32-39.jpeg
    PHOTO-2020-11-03-12-32-39.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: ABC
Question : until you reach 800 km and left in tour mode will the car actually go past 4000 RPM? I passed some dump trucks and pushed z mode, busy watching the road but wow did it ever come alive on throttle. Can it exceed during breaking past the 4000 rpm ?

Question : until you reach 800 km and left in tour mode will the car actually go past 4000 RPM? I passed some dump trucks and pushed z mode, busy watching the road but wow did it ever come alive on throttle. Can it exceed during breaking past the 4000 rpm ?
Yes! And hit the rev limiter. Don't ask me how I know! LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.